Sign in to follow this  
Guest KGFL

Who's the oldest flight simmer?

Here ya go, met him in person many many many moons ago ... via my Dad's work, back in 1979 -- I was a young teen.

He inspired me (as a young teen) to get into software engineering ... I'm not as old as some of you distinguished simmers, but I was around from day 1 of a Flight Sim on a home computer.

Today is my 70th. Like the original poster, THibben, said, when I started FS the lines on the screen were green ! Then the big jump to magenta, cyan, and red !

Keep going all you "oldies" !

Gotta go. The autopilot on my Duke is calling - time to get set up for the approach into CHO.

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

I'm a youngster at 66. Been flying flight sims since the SubLogic days (remember Meigs?). And although he doesn't have an account up here, my friend Jesse (who I met on Flightsim.com a L-O-N-G- time ago) was a P-51 pilot in WWII and later flew B377s trans-Pacific for MATS. He's still simming and he just turned 90! He prefers FS9 to FSX, but still flies the A2A Mustang and B377, with all of the controls. I'll have to see if I can get him up here.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Well, you folks make me feel quite young, :P  I am heading on to 60 this September.

but I have to admit the first flight sim I ever used was on the Sinclair ZX81 with a ram pack of 16k I think stuck outa the back of it and a flat small rubber keypad, I have no idea who's flight sim it was, but it did kind of represent flight simulation.

no I did not mean the ZX Spectrum, that was later and in colour.

I believe this ZX81 is still in the possession of a family member but minus the cassette player used for loading the programmes, I have to say that early experience of Flight simulation put me off for life, until someone mentioned how far on it had come, and I truly am amazed by what I see here, I so wish I had stuck with it at the time, :wacko:

Regards

Guss  :lol:

Your as old as the woman you feel. :)

I don't have 1,

ergo I cant age :-)

Well, you folks make me feel quite young, :P  I am heading on to 60 this September.

but I have to admit the first flight sim I ever used was on the Sinclair ZX81 with a ram pack of 16k I think stuck outa the back of it and a flat small rubber keypad, I have no idea who's flight sim it was, but it did kind of represent flight simulation.

no I did not mean the ZX Spectrum, that was later and in colour.

I believe this ZX81 is still in the possession of a family member but minus the cassette player used for loading the programmes, I have to say that early experience of Flight simulation put me off for life, until someone mentioned how far on it had come, and I truly am amazed by what I see here, I so wish I had stuck with it at the time, :wacko:

Regards

Guss  :lol:

Wow! Gus, you brought back memories. I got interested in "computers" with Pong and later Atari. When the Sinclair ZX81 first came out, I bought one, with the 16K expansion pack. I had the flight sim and even more amazing, the Lunar Lander, which required excellent speed and thrust control to make it down to the Moon' surface and back up again. From there it was a Commodore 64 and then the first Zenith PC with no hard drive and a RamPage memory expansion board.

That was my intro to computing, and my life with them has been a constant learning lesson. I flew the first Sublogic flight sim before MS bought them out, and flew every version to my present FSX. My firend Jesse, who I met on the Flightsim.Com forums back in the early 90's, just turned 90 a few months ago, and most of my sim friends (also from the old FS.Com days) are in their 60's and 70's.

Ain't it fun reliving the old days?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Anyone play Intellivision's B-17 Bomber? It was a lot of fun and very exciting when it actually talked: "Watch for flak!" I was 30ish when it came out, but thought I was still 12 0r 13.

Kind regards,

I am 74. I started flying when I was 14. It has been a blast. B)

RLJR

As of 1800 EST today, this is the age breakdown of our members who have taken the demographic survey.

That one guy younger than ten? That be me...

That's what happens when the "odometer" reaches 999,999.... LMAO

You may be a cop, but you're still a punk kid and your momma is going to slap the whatzit outta ya. :LMAO:

That's what happens when the "odometer" reaches 999,999.... LMAO

You may be a cop, but you're still a punk kid and your momma is going to slap the whatzit outta ya. :LMAO:

LMAO!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Wow! Gus, you brought back memories. I got interested in "computers" with Pong and later Atari. When the Sinclair ZX81 first came out, I bought one, with the 16K expansion pack. I had the flight sim and even more amazing, the Lunar Lander, which required excellent speed and thrust control to make it down to the Moon' surface and back up again. From there it was a Commodore 64 and then the first Zenith PC with no hard drive and a RamPage memory expansion board.

That was my intro to computing, and my life with them has been a constant learning lesson. I flew the first Sublogic flight sim before MS bought them out, and flew every version to my present FSX. My firend Jesse, who I met on the Flightsim.Com forums back in the early 90's, just turned 90 a few months ago, and most of my sim friends (also from the old FS.Com days) are in their 60's and 70's.

Ain't it fun reliving the old days?

My only regret is not sticking with it from those days,

I did get an Atari ST upgraded  for my son who I was raising on my own, played Robocop a couple of times with him, but otherwise I didn't have any link to any computing of any kind until very recently, Its going to take a lot of time and effort to catch up, I will have just gotten used to the NGX series and Bam,! the triple 7 will be out, then the 747 2.0, now that the one I am waiting for,

I can even land the default 747 on its wheels now, :lol:

Regards

Guss ^_^

i started simming i few months ago but i'm sure this hobby is going to last long for me B) i know someday i will fly a real plane