Sign in to follow this  
vscimone

What Msfs Version Are You Using Now

FS9 or FSX  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. What MSFS Version do you use for airline addons made for both platforms?

• FS9 exclusively for airline addons
    • FSX exclusively for airline addons
    • Both FS9 and FSX for airline addons
    • I don't fly airlines in MSFS
  2. 2. What MSFS Version do you use for light aircraft addons made for both platforms?

• FS9 exclusively for light aircraft addons
    • FSX exclusively for light aircraft addons
    • Both FS9 and FSX for light aircraft addons
    • I don't fly light aircraft in MSFS

Ahoj, Marek

So tell me, FS9 users, why do you think that FS9 is more professional?
Although I'm one of the FS9ers, I do not know the answer. I also find such statements silly and wrongly formed.In my eyes FS9 is NOT a better simulator. The reason for staying with FS9 then is that FSX ISN"T better either. So why switch? :( That's enough for me. I just wanted to write something as meaningless posts written by some FS9 simmers do not represent the point of view of other FS9ers and please do not treat them as representative for the whole group.Best regards,Rafal

Czesc Rafal,I know that I cannot apply that to all FS9 users. Most FS9 users have some logical reasons for sticking with the older MSFS version and I fully understand them (FSX is too demanding on expensive high-end PC hardware; they have tons of addon's for FS9 and invested too much money to just throw it away now; FSX does not bring anything new for them and they don't care about the visual benefits of it much either etc.) but this opinion that FS9 is more "serious" simulator is just beyond me. ACES have ADDED features to FSX, they have not REMOVED them, so such a statement seems like an ungrounded nonsense to me.Marek

pmdg_trijet.jpg

I run both FS9 and FSX. I keep FS9 for my older add-ons, but generally new add-ons are for FSX.As for costs, I run FSX perfectly well on a modest $1000 laptop with dedicated graphics. The key requirement is as much memory as you can afford and a dual core processor.As for scenery, I find the default scenery in FSX is more than good enough for airliner flying. I don't do much low altitude VFR GA flying so don't miss the detail.AFAIK, FSX was designed with future growth in mind. It was never intended for people to be able to use it with the sliders maxed from day one. It seems some people feel they are missing out if their sliders aren't maxed, but in my opinion FSX with modest settings is far better than FS9 maxed out.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I run both FS9 and FSX. I keep FS9 for my older add-ons, but generally new add-ons are for FSX.As for costs, I run FSX perfectly well on a modest $1000 laptop with dedicated graphics. The key requirement is as much memory as you can afford and a dual core processor.Kevin
The diference between FS9 and FSX is "Money". The new coming deifference between FSX and FS11 "Money" . I wonder about the upcoming debate over all the FS9 users AND FSX users who are not switching to the new FS11 for the exact same reason we are debating now "Money to switch". The world is hurting becasue of this reason.Carl P.

Guest keiron

Well that depends if MS decides to design FS11 from scratch this time and make sure the FS11 Simulator is 20% more complete than FSX before they release it. :(

Well that depends if MS decides to design FS11 from scratch this time and make sure the FS11 Simulator is 20% more complete than FSX before they release it. :(
I agree. Pure FSX was a disaster and they should have tested it more before the release. But now, with SP2, no problems on my side.

pmdg_trijet.jpg

FSX for me. As CPUs become faster and prices decrease more people will make the switch.Additionally FS11 will be almost identical to FSX as far as the SDK is concerned, and so developers will be able to easily make their FSX products FS11 compatible. Developers will be wasting a lot of effort by continuing to develop for FS9.IMO PMDG made the right decision by targeting FSX first for the MD11, and then "cutting" features for the FS9 version. I will never purchase a product that has been handicaped by FS9 development constraints.

Matthew S

Guest keiron
FSX for me. As CPUs become faster and prices decrease more people will make the switch.Additionally FS11 will be almost identical to FSX as far as the SDK is concerned, and so developers will be able to easily make their FSX products FS11 compatible.
Cool! Do you have the internet source for that by any chance? I'd like to give it a quick read

Cool! Do you have the internet source for that by any chance? I'd like to give it a quick read
It's common knowledge that the same "core" is used in FSX, TS2 and ESP, and the upcoming FS11 when TS2 is done. Have a read of the Trainsim forums which the TS2 devs post at:-http://forums.flightsim.com/vbts/forumdisplay.php?f=85In otherwords MS is not rewriting FS11 from "stratch". It will leverage an enhanced "core". Hopefully they will add cloud shadows. The "core" graphics programmer "StoneLance" has had a lot to say about what he's working on to support the TS2 graphic enhancements. This includes a rewrite of the lighting and shadowing system to be more efficient!

Matthew S

FSX for me. As CPUs become faster and prices decrease more people will make the switch.Additionally FS11 will be almost identical to FSX as far as the SDK is concerned, and so developers will be able to easily make their FSX products FS11 compatible. Developers will be wasting a lot of effort by continuing to develop for FS9.IMO PMDG made the right decision by targeting FSX first for the MD11, and then "cutting" features for the FS9 version. I will never purchase a product that has been handicaped by FS9 development constraints.
As long as there is no systems modeling being cut that's fine by me. Maddog2006, PT Tu-154M, and others seems to have everything modeled or 99% modeled in FS9. I can live without certain graphical and other eye candy features like VC/Exterior animations and such. I know others can't but that's just my preferences. Is the FS9 MD-11 2d panel/gauge/MFD lights dimmable like the FS9 Maddog 2006? I've seen that's being a big problem for the VC.

Guest corrie

Well I own both FS9 and FSX running on different PC`s. I also was a die hard FS9 fan BECUASE of the sh@t frame rates that FSX gave. Then SP 1 and 2 was released , 747 X , PMDG MD 11 , REX , Active Sky Advanced , FS Passengers X , I believe AES for FSX is on its way ,was released.Their is truly NO comparison FSX is by far the best , I do understand why people are clinging to FS9 it is because of the FPS and add ons.But boy o boy if you have founded the SWEET spot with FSX you have arrived. The BIGGEST difference between the two is that when I fly FSX in VC it really feels as I am there in the cockpit evey turn or banking is so involved , in FS9 it feels SO flat and unrealistic. It just doesn`t feel right anymore.Fs9 is awesome , I do fly it sometimes but in the quest to make FS realistic as can be FSX is the ground breaker. If only I could give the FS9 folks my PC to experience FSX I PROMISE they will switch there and then.But I have been around since FS 5 and I know the current version for now FSX will only come into favour years after its release due to hardware and software improvements but by that time the new version/s have arrived and the cirle continues. Die hard FS9 fans will then be die hard FSX fans.The BOTTOM line is that we have to move on , it is like a ex girlfriend at some stage you have to accept that it is over and move on. I know it is easier said than done , but I am sure their isn`t any FS98 or 2000 people around unless they couldn`t move on.I will not judge becuase the time to accept change differs from person to person , but I can assure you that you do not want to be left behind. Images speaks a thousand words.Imagine these folks hanging onto their versions , were would we be.fs1appleanim1vo5.giffs3ameigspv0.gifWould we have arrived here.fsx2008120916542746qu7.jpgThanx KikoI do not think so ,do not get left behind ,My 2 cents for what it is worth.RegardsJohan

Guest keiron
It's common knowledge that the same "core" is used in FSX, TS2 and ESP, and the upcoming FS11 when TS2 is done. Have a read of the Trainsim forums which the TS2 devs post at:-http://forums.flightsim.com/vbts/forumdisplay.php?f=85In otherwords MS is not rewriting FS11 from "stratch". It will leverage an enhanced "core". Hopefully they will add cloud shadows. The "core" graphics programmer "StoneLance" has had a lot to say about what he's working on to support the TS2 graphic enhancements. This includes a rewrite of the lighting and shadowing system to be more efficient!
Oh right I see what you're saying, but there isn't an actual FS11 source you have for me that I could read upon then?

Guest GCSPC

So, as a user of both, but sticking to FS9 for the same reasons as most, FSX frame rates and the thousands of dollars invested in FS9 addon, I am wondering how accurate this poll is and why they did not do it before spending all their time working on releasing the FSX version first. If this pole is anywhere close to true, then logic would seem to dictate that releasing the FS9 version first would have the PDMG crew enjoying a much happier (profitable) Christmas than they did with the FSX release, but then I guess it's not about the money, they just do it for the love of the hobby.... :( James

I dont need to wait 10 years. I can look at FS9 and see how crude it is. I also doubt that this poll reflects PMDG sales at all! If it did, they probably wouldn't be in buisness anymore along with the othe devs making only FSX products. You FS9ers are starting to sound like the global warming crowd, just because your loud about it, it must be true.Willy
You doubt this poll reflects PMDG sales because the poll did not go the way you exepected. Sorry chum. You are starting to sound like a defeated politician, blaming the winner for your loss.
Well, this poll shows nothing. Not all PMDG customers visit this forum or they do not care about any polls and they just read. Aerosoft did make a poll like this some weeks ago with exactly opposite results - the most of their customers use and buy FSX products and they are not only hard-core aircraft addon buyers but most of them also buy scenery addon's, utilities etc. So, where's the truth?What makes me upset is that the majority of FS9 users who criticize FSX don't have any or a very little experience with FSX. They have read some (mostly) ungrounded "opinions" on FSX, they don't use it and so it must be a piece of cr*p. I have used FS9 for about three years, I bought many addon's for it and last year I switched to FSX, so it has been almost two years with FSX for me and I don't regret my choice at all. The visual appearance is very important to me, as it makes my feeling of "really being there" much stronger and in this field FSX is the winner without any doubt (FS9 engine has its limits and that's a plain fact). Nothing can beat FSX with UTX or FTX (inside any PMDG aircraft, of course ;-) at the moment and that's just one thing of many why I would never go back to FS9. But I understand people who stick with FS9. However, I don't tell them that they use a piece of s..t and I expect the same from them...Marek
Another one who refuses to beleive the poll results. My friend, numbers do not lie. If the numbers were turned around, you would be struting like a peacock in here, please stick to fact and not muddled opions. Not only this poll but the brand new one at www.simflight.com both still show FS9 as the leading sim and this mind you is 2 YEARS 2 MONTHS after FSX's release! For FS9 to be hanging on this long as the leader, clearly FSX is flawed to the point were it will never ever be what FS9 was/still is. This is not my opinon, the numbers in the polls do not lie.

Eric 

Guest GAMER
You doubt this poll reflects PMDG sales because the poll did not go the way you exepected. Sorry chum. You are starting to sound like a defeated politician, blaming the winner for your loss. Another one who refuses to beleive the poll results. My friend, numbers do not lie. If the numbers were turned around, you would be struting like a peacock in here, please stick to fact and not muddled opions. Not only this poll but the brand new one at www.simflight.com both still show FS9 as the leading sim and this mind you is 2 YEARS 2 MONTHS after FSX's release! For FS9 to be hanging on this long as the leader, clearly FSX is flawed to the point were it will never ever be what FS9 was/still is. This is not my opinon, the numbers in the polls do not lie.
Well if I could upgrade to that NASA built computer to run FSX, I d do it in a heartbeat.