Sign in to follow this  
vscimone

What Msfs Version Are You Using Now

FS9 or FSX  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. What MSFS Version do you use for airline addons made for both platforms?

• FS9 exclusively for airline addons
    • FSX exclusively for airline addons
    • Both FS9 and FSX for airline addons
    • I don't fly airlines in MSFS
  2. 2. What MSFS Version do you use for light aircraft addons made for both platforms?

• FS9 exclusively for light aircraft addons
    • FSX exclusively for light aircraft addons
    • Both FS9 and FSX for light aircraft addons
    • I don't fly light aircraft in MSFS

First of all, this is absolutely not an attempt to belittle PMDG in any way. PMDG has been one of the premier addon companies for quite some time now; I really do enjoy their products. If after you read my post you feel that I have, you obviously didn't get the point I was making.

I guess this survey starts to show where the priorities of developers should have been placed. Hopefully they will learn from this and pay more attention to their core customers in the future,
Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. You are WAY too generalized in your statement. This is a poll that a small percentage of registered Avsim forum users take, most of which are probably PMDG customers. PMDG customers make up a relatively small percentage of FS payware buyers. Payware buyers make up a relatively small percentage of FS users. PMDG might have more FS9 customers, but I ASSURE you, other payware developers do not. Developers run a business. Businesses exist to offer goods and make money off them. If you want a nice, brief explanation, read the first few lines here.If FSX were not more profitable, developers would not be making FSX only aircraft. Not too hard to understand.I agree with many of your guys' points, and disagree with just as many. Based on the reasons people are truly sticking with FS9, FS11 will do equally, or perhaps even worse than FSX has done, at least with the tiny (and it is) percentage of FS users who are PMDG customers.As a developer, it makes more sense to make FSX versions first, and then strip them down to fit into FS9. You please both crowds and provide as much detail as each platform allows. However, even when a stripped down FS9 version has been released, sometimes it doesn't produce enough sales to make up for the time spent making it. More people are using FSX now than ever before. The market keeps shifting towards FSX, even as I type this. Is it worth the gamble of time and money to make a stripped down FS9 version? There's no blanket answer. Each developer has to look at their market and customer base.During its time, FS9 was excellent for me. Once I got FSX running (on my then-new laptop), I never looked back. Performance-wise, the sims operated about equally on the hardware I used for them. I didn't get any better FPS in FS9 than I now get in FSX.William M.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest neiljay66
First of all, this is absolutely not an attempt to belittle PMDG in any way. PMDG has been one of the premier addon companies for quite some time now; I really do enjoy their products. If after you read my post you feel that I have, you obviously didn't get the point I was making.Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. You are WAY too generalized in your statement. This is a poll that a small percentage of registered Avsim forum users take, most of which are probably PMDG customers. PMDG customers make up a relatively small percentage of FS payware buyers. Payware buyers make up a relatively small percentage of FS users. PMDG might have more FS9 customers, but I ASSURE you, other payware developers do not. Developers run a business. Businesses exist to offer goods and make money off them. If you want a nice, brief explanation, read the first few lines here.If FSX were not more profitable, developers would not be making FSX only aircraft. Not too hard to understand.I agree with many of your guys' points, and disagree with just as many. Based on the reasons people are truly sticking with FS9, FS11 will do equally, or perhaps even worse than FSX has done, at least with the tiny (and it is) percentage of FS users who are PMDG customers.As a developer, it makes more sense to make FSX versions first, and then strip them down to fit into FS9. You please both crowds and provide as much detail as each platform allows. However, even when a stripped down FS9 version has been released, sometimes it doesn't produce enough sales to make up for the time spent making it. More people are using FSX now than ever before. The market keeps shifting towards FSX, even as I type this. Is it worth the gamble of time and money to make a stripped down FS9 version? There's no blanket answer. Each developer has to look at their market and customer base.During its time, FS9 was excellent for me. Once I got FSX running (on my then-new laptop), I never looked back. Performance-wise, the sims operated about equally on the hardware I used for them. I didn't get any better FPS in FS9 than I now get in FSX.William M.
Assure me!! Please. What some people will say to prove their point. We have cold hard numbers to go by here that clearly say that fs9 is the more used product. Therefore your assurance means NOTHING! Show me some numbers to state other wise and you may be taken seriously.And I believe that fs11 will perform times better than fsx did for the simple reason that it will be optimized for multicore core processors, which is one of the reasons why Fsx has it's poor performance right now. The development team behind Fs betted on faster clock speeds for single core processors, but instead CPU manufactures went multicore.

Assure me!! Please. What some people will say to prove their point. We have cold hard numbers to go by here that clearly say that fs9 is the more used product. Therefore your assurance means NOTHING! Show me some numbers to state other wise and you may be taken seriously.
I think the number of developers who are making FSX-only aircraft now is the more relevant number. I'm sure you know all the major developers and probably keep an eye on who is producing what, so I am not going to go through the trouble of listing them...No fs addon company or anyone working for one of those companies makes their sales figures public. It isn't any of the public's business either.You have cold hard numbers from a TINY percent of the market. That TINY percent of the market says that PMDG users prefer FS9. Which, after all, this is the PMDG forum and it is PMDG asking who is using what.Just realize you cannot make generalizations for the whole market based on this very small poll. That's my point, nothing specific about PMDG. As I said, each developer has to study its own market. If you think the majority or even a double digit percentage of flight simmers use a PMDG product... If you think even a double digit percentage of PMDG's customers have taken this poll... lol.Since that's the only point I was trying to make, I'm going to cut off my participation in this conversation right there... flaming wars don't interest me.William

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest neiljay66
I think the number of developers who are making FSX-only aircraft now is the more relevant number. I'm sure you know all the major developers and probably keep an eye on who is producing what, so I am not going to go through the trouble of listing them...No fs addon company or anyone working for one of those companies makes their sales figures public. It isn't any of the public's business either.You have cold hard numbers from a TINY percent of the market. That TINY percent of the market says that PMDG users prefer FS9. Which, after all, this is the PMDG forum and it is PMDG asking who is using what.Just realize you cannot make generalizations for the whole market based on this very small poll. That's my point, nothing specific about PMDG. As I said, each developer has to study its own market. If you think the majority or even a double digit percentage of flight simmers use a PMDG product... If you think even a double digit percentage of PMDG's customers have taken this poll... lol.Since that's the only point I was trying to make, I'm going to cut off my participation in this conversation right there... flaming wars don't interest me.William
For the record, who

I am just hoping that when Microsoft release the new flightsim fs11 or fsx1 or whatever they wat to call it they just have the sence to make it backward compatable with fs9 & fsx, so we can put all this stupid arguing behind us and get on with enjoying things. and that the whole flight sim comunity can move forward on the same platform and the developers then only have one program to make at a time. This will be more cost efective, more profitable & more peaceful all round. Is there a microsoft site we can all write too in the hope we can make ourselves heard as one voice as it wont matter what side of the fence we sit on as we will all benifit from it. And for the record I have stayed with FS9 only because I can not carry over the add ons I have bought to date as there is too much money invested to change platforms, Also the difference in FS9 & fsx is too small to warent throwing it all in the bin and starting over. :(

I am just hoping that when Microsoft release the new flightsim fs11 or fsx1 or whatever they wat to call it they just have the sence to make it backward compatable with fs9 & fsx, so we can put all this stupid arguing behind us and get on with enjoying things. and that the whole flight sim comunity can move forward on the same platform and the developers then only have one program to make at a time. This will be more cost efective, more profitable & more peaceful all round. Is there a microsoft site we can all write too in the hope we can make ourselves heard as one voice as it wont matter what side of the fence we sit on as we will all benifit from it. And for the record I have stayed with FS9 only because I can not carry over the add ons I have bought to date as there is too much money invested to change platforms, Also the difference in FS9 & fsx is too small to warent throwing it all in the bin and starting over. :(
I imagine it would be compatible with aircraft/scenery that comply with the FSX SDK and dont use any FS9 techniques. I hope FS11 breaks compatibility with any FS9 aircraft/scenery so that developers are forced to comply with the FSX/FSX11 sdk. IMHO the platform needs to move forward and cut its ties with FS9 forever.

Matthew S

I imagine it would be compatible with aircraft/scenery that comply with the FSX SDK and dont use any FS9 techniques. I hope FS11 breaks compatibility with any FS9 aircraft/scenery so that developers are forced to comply with the FSX/FSX11 sdk. IMHO the platform needs to move forward and cut its ties with FS9 forever.
This is just the sort of stupid comment I was hoping we could all move away from. Yes flightsim needs to evolve and yes fs9 will in turn be dropped. What I was trying to promote was a platform that could work with the new and the old as it has in the past. It is this division that is causing the rift that exists in its current state. just think how much time and effort has been wasted devloping two versions of the same product be it scenery or add on aircraft, the last thing we need now are more childish morron's that can't accept there is still a lerge percentage of the flight sim comunity that are not yet willing to throw good money away on a product that just provides more of the same. I take it you have fsx and I hope you are happy with it, but why dont you grow up and look at the figures at the top of this thread. YES fs9 will die off. But what we need is a little more effort so as the new will still work with older versions and then we can all move forward together, and let fs9 fade away.

And I hope FS11 will actually add important stuff like a much improved weather and ATC software, and such instead of just eye candy and missions garbage like FSX did. Now if FSX did all of the above than it wouldn't just be eye candy garbage, but a true simming platform. And I played FSX for about 80 hours in total and after I landed my 60th flight in FSX I realized just how much I missed my FS9 with its better weather, ATC, graphics, scenery, and aircraft made possible through addons. And I also missed the steady 30 FPS I got with FS9. Why should I respend all that money for a new platform when FS9 is up to FSX quality with all the addons in terms of eye candy? Only when FS11 addons really put the FS9 addons to shame is when I'm gonna switch. I am bypassing FSX and I couldn't be happier with my decision since MD-11, A380 are the last payware I'm gonna buy unless I can transfer them into FS11, then I wouldn't have to repurchase them. Once I have the PMDG and NLS I couldn't care less if payware development for FS9 ceases to exist. And like others said, if more than one poll shows FS9 leading FSX by a wide margin after 2 years that FSX got released, then there is somthing in FS9 that makes people prefer it. FS9 will die but not for awhile. It will probably die in a another year or so.Alex J.

This is just the sort of stupid comment I was hoping we could all move away from. Yes flightsim needs to evolve and yes fs9 will in turn be dropped. What I was trying to promote was a platform that could work with the new and the old as it has in the past. It is this division that is causing the rift that exists in its current state. just think how much time and effort has been wasted devloping two versions of the same product be it scenery or add on aircraft, the last thing we need now are more childish morron's that can't accept there is still a lerge percentage of the flight sim comunity that are not yet willing to throw good money away on a product that just provides more of the same. I take it you have fsx and I hope you are happy with it, but why dont you grow up and look at the figures at the top of this thread. YES fs9 will die off. But what we need is a little more effort so as the new will still work with older versions and then we can all move forward together, and let fs9 fade away.
Sorry, but I disagree! FS11 should not be hobbled with FS9 compatibility, that is not progress. I am sorry that you cannot afford a new computer or addons but IMHO it is selfish to expect FS11 to be crippled so that you can enjoy it on outdated hardware and with your current FS9 addon investment. No one says you have to uninstall FS9 :)You are probably going to start calling me names again. I wonder who really is the childish one?

Matthew S

Another one who refuses to beleive the poll results. My friend, numbers do not lie. If the numbers were turned around, you would be struting like a peacock in here, please stick to fact and not muddled opions. Not only this poll but the brand new one at www.simflight.com both still show FS9 as the leading sim and this mind you is 2 YEARS 2 MONTHS after FSX's release! For FS9 to be hanging on this long as the leader, clearly FSX is flawed to the point were it will never ever be what FS9 was/still is. This is not my opinon, the numbers in the polls do not lie.
A little bit arrogant but whatever... The numbers don't lie, that's true but only FS9 lovers like you can't understand that this forum and any poll here can never represent all MSFS users. How many of them buy PMDG addon's and visit this forum? Please tell me the "number that doesn't lie"... I just looked at the simflight poll and FS9 44% / FSX 40%. Not bad for 2 YEARS 2 MONTHS old sim. I bet FSX will have a bigger rate next year as today's high-end PC hardware gets cheaper and that's a trend you can't stop with any numbers :-)

pmdg_trijet.jpg

I bet FSX will have a bigger rate next year as today's high-end PC hardware gets cheaper and that's a trend you can't stop with any numbers :-)
well, next year we will probably start to see some more info about the next Flightsim to be released, sometime after Trainsimulator 2. and that is the beginning of the end of FSX's timeline anyway. I'd much rather wait and upgrade sometime after FS11 get released than starting to upgrade my hardware for a "sinking ship"With top-end hardware that's available right now that can barely run FSX at max, without the use of many resource using addons that's been made for it, what's the point of upgrading to run FSX anyway? clearly the next flightsim is not that far off to be released by the time all hardware can run FSX at it's full glory, especially with complex airliners like the MD-11 and the 747 around big airports, like KJFK, KORD, EGLL... etc. I just see no reason to upgrade to FSX at all.RegardsJan

FS11 should not be hobbled with FS9 compatibility, that is not progress. I am sorry that you cannot afford a new computer or addons but IMHO it is selfish to expect FS11 to be crippled so that you can enjoy it on outdated hardware and with your current FS9 addon investment. No one says you have to uninstall FS9 :)
I agree with you there, i'm even willing to go to the point and say they shouldn't even make it backwards compatible with FSX addons. My personal opinion is that they should start completely fresh, with "clean sheets" and that they don't need to think about backwards compatibility. Just take that extra time and create a brand new graphics and physics engine that can take the best advantage of present and future hardware and just make it as good as they possibly can. That's what i want to see in the next flightsim.RegardsJan

I agree with you, SK-1323,it would be great but I doubt that's going to happen. With that new version of MSFS it will be the same situation as now with FS9 vs. FSX. At the time of its release there will be no addon for it, no PMDG aircraft, nothing. Do you think that everyone will immediately throw his FS9 or FSX away? I don't think so. We will hold a similar discussion like this. By the way, why some FS9 users argument that today's hardware can't fly FSX MAXED OUT? Is that so important? I fly with above average details and it still looks better than FS9 and I achieve suitable FPS for me. FSX still has a potential and when I get a better machine next year, I will put the sliders more to the right. I love FSX (as I loved FS9) and I guess I'm not alone. Some FS9 users just can't understand why some people like something they consider to be a crap.

pmdg_trijet.jpg

FS9 still dwarfs FSX I see. I predicted that would happen a year and a half ago. Looks like my prediction was right. I have a 4K buck system and I still wont touch FSX. Its ridiculous how MS makes FS for computer that wont be built for another 2 years. They sure dropped the ball on this one. I have never seen people skip a whole FS version. Looks like FSX broke that record.

I agree with you, SK-1323,it would be great but I doubt that's going to happen. With that new version of MSFS it will be the same situation as now with FS9 vs. FSX. At the time of its release there will be no addon for it, no PMDG aircraft, nothing. Do you think that everyone will immediately throw his FS9 or FSX away? I don't think so. We will hold a similar discussion like this. By the way, why some FS9 users argument that today's hardware can't fly FSX MAXED OUT? Is that so important? I fly with above average details and it still looks better than FS9 and I achieve suitable FPS for me. FSX still has a potential and when I get a better machine next year, I will put the sliders more to the right. I love FSX (as I loved FS9) and I guess I'm not alone. Some FS9 users just can't understand why some people like something they consider to be a crap.
I guess only time will tell what will really happen, i look at FSX the same way as i looked at FS2000 back in it's day; a preview of what to come. FSX seems to be more of a testbed for the next generation flightsim in my eyes. Developers tend to adapt to the changing market and flightsims, like Aerosoft, PMDG, Wilco.. among others, that there wouldn't be any available addons for it in it's start phase isn't really a big problem, they will come eventually. I don't believe everyone will throw away FSX and/or FS9 the second FS11 is released, like i said; only time will tell what happens, but i do believe that many FS9 users will change platform when FS11 is out.I think it's only reasonable to expect that you could run FSX in it's full glory in maxed settings when you consider that it's over 2 years since it's initial release, even if it does look better than FS9 at only 50% settings. Don't you want to run a product you buy to it's full potential? I certainly know i want to do that. Sure you could probably buy a new computer next year that could barely run FSX at it's full potential with some addons, but is it really worth it? FS11 is not that far away and i will certainly wait to upgrade my computer until FS11 is released and see how that performs on hardware that's available when it's released :)I got no rush to change platforms, i like FS9 alot and when you consider the fact that addons are still being made for it i simply see no reason to change to FSX, especially when you see the performance issues with it and the fact that it does not bring so much more than FS9 had, except the visuals.Regardsjan