Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

exstense

end of Jeppesen

Hello,I received the following message:Important SimCharts 4.0 Announcement Regarding your current SimCharts 4.0 subscription: Dear Customers, This email is to let you know that the sale of our SIMCharts 4.0 service which works in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator version 10 (FSX), will end on April 1, 2009. There is no new version being planned at this time. Support for the SIMCharts 4.0 service will continue for 1 year thereafter or until March 31, 2010. Access to the service after March 31, 2010 will no longer be available. We appreciate you as a customer and encourage you to visit our website, jeppesen.com, to view the full breadth of services and offerings Jeppesen has available to you. So, what charts can be used instead? Navigraph? I really like the way Jeppesen is doing their job. Any alternatives?Regards,GoofEHEH

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use sim charts, which works great. They have pretty much any kind of chart included with their software. Another useful location to find charts is simroutes.com (also a great flight planning site for downloading pmdg flight plans). After you create a flight plan, you can find the applicable charts there.Cheers,Blake

Any alternatives?
For USA airports any site that hosts NOCA approach plates - available for free, for example www.myairplane.com

Hello,I received the following message:Important SimCharts 4.0 Announcement Regarding your current SimCharts 4.0 subscription: Dear Customers, This email is to let you know that the sale of our SIMCharts 4.0 service which works in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator version 10 (FSX), will end on April 1, 2009. There is no new version being planned at this time. Support for the SIMCharts 4.0 service will continue for 1 year thereafter or until March 31, 2010. Access to the service after March 31, 2010 will no longer be available. We appreciate you as a customer and encourage you to visit our website, jeppesen.com, to view the full breadth of services and offerings Jeppesen has available to you. So, what charts can be used instead? Navigraph? I really like the way Jeppesen is doing their job. Any alternatives?Regards,GoofEHEH
I use a Widefs setup which affords me a second pc when flying. I usually access U.S. charts via airnav.com or flightaware.com. For Europe or some other parts of the world, I have links for some other countries where charts are available online. However for the non-U.S., a third-party product would be easier.

Jeppesen Jeppview 3 It is used by Real World Airlines! Is the best software for Charts ... It updates every 14 or 15 days with a new Cycle ...

Look at the date of release. You really think this is serious? :(

Jeppesen Jeppview 3 It is used by Real World Airlines! Is the best software for Charts ... It updates every 14 or 15 days with a new Cycle ...
That would be great, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to afford it.I got the same mail yesterday, but I'd actually almost forgotte that I own the product. I mostly fly online now, and the Simcharts are way out of date. I usually don't have problems finding current charts online as long as I fly in Europe or North America. Asia can be a bit difficult, though.

Hmmm, good thing I was never paying for that...I always thought it stupid to charge for something that the commercial airlines already support financially quite well.

Look at the date of release. You really think this is serious? :(
You know companies do still conduct business on April 1st... not everything is a joke. I believe this was confirmed as a real announcement when someone emailed them.

The email was sent to me on the 30th of March so its clearly not a ###### take, although it is taking the ###### that they are taking the service down as the product will be useless when the servers are taken down, where's the value for money in that. I cant believe that a company like Jeppesen cant afford to keep a tiny server running that doesn't even need its contents updating, the charts are all from 2006 and before and are never changed unlike their other products.

buy ur own jepps like me :)andy
We already did, we paid a fee for a lifetime of use, yes its the lifetime of the product not the user, but the product isn't being changed/replaced with something new so I cant see how it is the end of the products life.

Simple. Navigraph NDAC. Good for sim use, worldwide coverage and very much affordable. www.navigraph.com

Affordable is far from the truth compared to the Jeppeson product which was a one off flat fee for lifetime usage, it's just a shame their definition of life is an insects lifetime :( .

Well if you paid for something that as you said has a "lifetime usage", then surely that's what you should be getting?If what you are getting is the opposite then you obviously haven't received what you have paid for.

For free FAA charts straight from the FAA visit naco.faa.gov. And look under their digital products.

Like people have said Navigraph NDAC for the world + airnav.com for the USJibran

To be fair here, I do think the look and clarity of Jeppessen charts far exceeds the NACO or Navigraph ones... most real pilots will probably agree with me.

Well for any Canadian pilots out there...A quick visit to your local charter outfit or something along those lines will normally reward you with some old charts. If you know some people with access to them, they will probably be pretty receptive to giving you an old set. I always take a good stack of approach plates from my work once a year or so to give away to some FS buddies.Actually the same probably applies abroad as well.Patrick

To be fair here, I do think the look and clarity of Jeppessen charts far exceeds the NACO or Navigraph ones... most real pilots will probably agree with me.
Ryan, I do agree but not sure about this "far". For a pilot is it worth extra cost? On top of that the latest glass cockpits have all the vertical information built in (say Cirrus Perspective) so there is even less need to consult the chart. You still need the chart to be "legal" and for possible MDA/DH information but like I said with the latest avionics there is much less need to study those charts - hence any edge in clarity that Jeppesen had quickly evaporates. On top of that the latest WAAS approaches are really streamlined and look pretty good on both charts.

Ryan, I think you opened a can of worms with a NACO vs Jeppessen discussion. The Jepps are fine, but I learned to fly in USAF aero clubs and got used to the NACO charts and I've been using it for about 35 yrs now so at least one old fart stuck in his ways prefers their same'ole same stuff. I think they're pretty (Jepps) but I instantly know where to look on the NACO's for information and that is important to me.

but I instantly know where to look on the NACO's for information and that is important to me.
Don't you think that pilots that use Jepp stuff feel exactly the same way, its human nature to resist change, however flawed that may be.

the easiest/fastest/cheapest way...google -> "charts icao-code" like "charts eddf"you will find almost every airport (pdf files)

its human nature to resist change,...
Sure it is but what's your point? Nobody ever questions or ask anyone to justify using Jeppesen since it is such a well established standard of excellence, so it is only the pilots who don't use Jeppesen that are being taken under the microscope. Dan gave you plausible explanation - 1) in USAF Jeppesen wasn't an option 2) once used to NACO pilot could see little justification to later switch to Jeppesen specially if cost (or inconvenient paper upgrades) was deemed too high for the extra value provided. I don't see any "flaw" here, only what one either prefers or is willing to pay for.

Nobody ever questions or ask anyone to justify using Jeppesen
I didn't expect you reply either but I got it, its an open forum and I will treat it as such, I was voicing my opinion just like you just did now. I dont have to justify myself anymore than you or anyone else does, I wasn't telling anyone that what they were doing was right or wrong, all I was saying was that I'm sure pilots that use Jepp charts exclusively feel exactly the same way as the OP did about his charts, there is no harm in that. It is human nature to resist change, there wouldn't be so many bloody wars in the world if this wasn't the case.