Sign in to follow this  
enyap

Attention ALL Windows XP Users

Just found this info out, trust me it works, got about a 6-7 FPS jump in FS ;D I just flew the LAGO Tornado! at Lakenheath with addon scenery, and WOW!To all of you who use WinXP and download the security patches this is very important information. Monday, April 21, 2003 Microsoft Security Patch Slows XP Systems By Mary Jo Foley Microsoft is said to be looking into a fix to its kernel buffer overrun remedy Redmond is looking into a fix for security patch it issued late last week. The patch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Erik,I have been noting the slowdown on almost every customers machine I built before I started taking a look at some of the security patches and realizing that not everyone of them is needed for every installation of XP. Instead of downloading the whole service pack I go in and depending on my customers needs and uses, I install those bug fixes and patches that are needed.Thanks for the good advice.Bobby

Hi!Thanks for the heads up on this. I un-installed the 811493 patch and WOW! my system did improve in performance!MSFS2K2 is running much better along with ALL my applications after removing this patch.I was wondering why the performance of my system had decreased, even with my other applications besides MSFS.Once again, thanks for the info, it really helped!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS

Thanks for the headsup. Tomorrow is "housekeeping day" here and I'll skip that update for sure.Doug

A BIG "thanks", Eric for sharing this info...had overall system slow down past few weeks that resembled some sort of major memory or drive problem, but after uninstalling that security update all is back to normal again here.Eric....you da' man!Dave

Wow! I thought I was going crazy with my computer. Performance was degrading and I've been playing with my fs2002 graphics settings. I just uninstalled this patch and will see if it helps.

Same here..it was acting "tired". Killing Q811493 did the trick! THANKS!

Hi,I don't have very much XP-knowledge, so can you please tell how to erase/uninstall Q811493?Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Jan,Goto control panel,add/remove applications (I think)Should be listed there down the bottom.

Easy. Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Q811493. Click remove.Removing it really does make a noticeable diffrenece as posted above.System: P4@3.06gigaByte 8INXP HT Enabled1024 PC266RAMRadeon 9700Pro 128 Omega DriversTurtle Bay Santa CruzSaitek X-45Win XP Pro

thanks for the info. Eric. removed it and the performance was back. nice catch! happy flyin, fm

And some people said I was crazy for stating a performance loss with SPK1 installed...LOLThanks again Bud.Great heads up :)

In the words of Montgomery Burns, "Excellent!"

You know, this will be the first thing I check when I get home. The sim has been performing terribly lately...

I guess I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't noticed the problem. I've had that particular update installed on my comp for the past month and never noticed any obvious performance drop...I guess that's for the better though, I tried to uninstall it but there was no "remove" button associated with this particular update :-hmmm. I'll just look the other way until they release the fix (which shouldn't take too long since MS actually acknowledged the problem :().

I too have not noticed a performance drop with the security patch mentioned above. I uninstalled the update just the same and noticed my machine slowed down instead of speed up. Like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I reinstalled the security patch and my system was back to it's high performing self. Maybe this problem has to do with DirectX 9a. I have just upgraded to 9a so more testing is needed to see if the slowdown is also DirectX 9a related versus just the security patch...Windows XP Pro Dell P4 1.5gig1 Gig RDRAM9700Pro Graphics Card100gig HD

Hi Dillo!How did you manage to reinstall it?The same thing happened to me, yet windows update does not 'notice' the fact it's missing whenever I try to reinstall ir from their site.BTW, I noticed we have the same processor and the same type of memory,not sure it has got anything to do with it, but who knows.

Thats odd, I have WinXP Home with SP1, windows update shows all security and hotfixes installed. I checked, and I do not have 811493 installed.

BUMPGreat tip. I highly recommend it. I noticed my frame rate, screen refresh and overall speed were lagging. Uninstalled that specific security patch and noticed a huge improvement. (not imagined!)Athlon 2600 XP1 gig memoryRadeon 9700 Pro

You can go to Microsoft's site and got to the updates section. Microsoft will scan your computer (when you choose that option) and the patch will come up since it's no longer on your system. I will say this that with DirectX 9a (not version 9 which I was using up until last night after reading this thread) my computer did slow down... I again took the 811493 patch off my computer and things spead back up. Maybe it's just me but the newest version of Directx seems to have a problem with the patch, not Windows XP itself.

Mine is the same, my hotfix #'s jump from Q810833 to Q814033 (as seen in Add/Remove Programs). How do I remove just this offending Hotfix, I wonder?Thanks,Bruce.

Its not part of SP1.The 811493 is an OPTIONAL download for the security fix from the Windows Update site.When you go to Windows update, it is listed under the "RECOMENDED" section and not the "CRITICAL" section of the update.So if you did not download it from Microsoft using the Windows Update site, it won't be installed on your computer.I installed SP1 of the CD and this fix wasn't part of that CD. I downloaded it from Windows Update, and I noticed a performance drop overall in Windows. After un-installing this update, my performnce improved greatly!Scott :-)

Hi Erik,I read with amazement you're report and what the others said, however without sounding like a moron, how do I find it and remove it please,I don't even know where it is as such, I can only see SP1 in add remove?thank you,