Sign in to follow this  
triton

It's a Sad Day When it gets like this .. Orbx is closed

Snave, you just don't get it :) As stated, it was not a marketing ploy, just John and I getting annoyed to the maximum with seeing our scenery appear on pirate sites within hours of release. Nothing more.. nothing less. You are entitled to your opinion though and I respect that, just cool down the jets with the sarcasm ok? It just isn't pretty nor does it suit you nor do I think I deserve to be spoken to like that, thanks :)

Those of you who have the attitude that "it comes with the territory" I have news for you:Piracy will put these great developers out of business. No one wants to work for free. Even when they love what they do.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest Thommo

I'm a paying Orbx customer, but I have to say impacting paying customers is a second stupid act The first was posting the direct link to the warez version of their product on their own support forums. I think the rants on the forums just turns people off.

just John and I getting annoyed to the maximum with seeing our scenery appear on pirate sites within hours of release. Nothing more.. nothing less.
So what exactly did it achieve? Did the torrents miraculously disappear and all those pirates suddenly sprout a glowing halo above their head? From where I'm standing it looks like you have shown to both existing and potential customers that you are willing to pull the plug at a moment's notice. That doesn't leave a nice fuzzy feeling for those of us who have already purchased your products.I have the utmost respect for OrbX and its work. I have purchased each and every one of your products and I enjoy them all, in fact I wish I had more time to explore them further. I understand you were making a statement, but denying access to your legitmate customers isn't the way to make that statement. It looks like you are tarring us all with the same brush, taking action against *EVERYONE*, even those who have purchased your products.I hope the reaction in this thread has at least made you begin to think that "spitting the dummy" - and that is exactly what happened, there is no other way to describe it, is not the best way to fight piracy and endear yourself to your paying and potential customers.I will support you all the way in going after the pirates, but this isn't the way to get your message across. As has already been said, OrbX needs us more than we need you. The hobby will continue without you, but OrbX will fail without its customers. How many customers will be turned away by the thought that your website can be closed because somebody "annoyed" you?Nick

Snave, you just don't get it :) As stated, it was not a marketing ploy, just John and I getting annoyed to the maximum with seeing our scenery appear on pirate sites within hours of release. Nothing more.. nothing less. You are entitled to your opinion though and I respect that, just cool down the jets with the sarcasm ok? It just isn't pretty nor does it suit you nor do I think I deserve to be spoken to like that, thanks :)
Hello JayKae, I understand your frustration. I am not going to speculate on the efficacy of you guys closing for 24 hours. What is 24 hours in a lifetime really? (I am 71). But I have been hesitating since a long time about buying FTX and now I thought that you guys deserved some support on my part...so I just ordered FTX through PCAviator. Looking forward to some nice flying time with FTX.Keep up with you excellent programming work!Jean-Jacques aka Jayjay

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I see 'piracy' use to often as an excuse due to poor business practices.If raising prices means survival, then do it. If it's a good product the it will sell.How on Earth could a vendor tell how many times their product was downloaded illegally?

Without getting too far of the subject.How many developers complain of piracy and loss of income but have either downloaded films or music that they havent bought?How many developers have borrowed a film or cd from a friend, listened to/watched it then returned it to their friend without then purchasing themselves?How many developers have borrowed a film or cd from a friend that they would never have purchased anyway but listened to/watched it to pass a few hours because it was already availible for them to do so?Does that not equate to a lost sale to the music/film publisher as 2 people have now watched/listened to 1 purchased film/cd rather than 2 purchases?The principle is exactly the same whether its software or not.Graham

This whole thread needs to be deleted. It is so full of hypocrisy, it sickens me.We have highly respected members of this community who on one hand say "piracy sucks and anybody who indulges in it or advocates it should be hung!", yet on the other hand use FS utilities that "pirate" commercially available resources to enhance FS. These commercially available resources cost LEGITIMATE addon developers six-figure amounts if they want to purchase the resources to develop and sell addons for FS that do what the "pirated" downloads do in FS. Just ask Holger, Mr. Venema, or any other photoscenery developer what high resolution photo data costs if they want to purchase it to develop photoscenery.I could care less if anybody here does those type of things, even if they are so far up the AVSIM food chain as to be a Moderator or a "respected commercial developer". It's a matter of personal integrity. But for crying out loud, if the whole world knows you do it in your own everyday use of FS, don't come here and say "PIRATING IS WRONG!" in one instance, but not another. Stealing is stealing, regardless of whether you use Torrent, Rapidshare, Depositfiles, or MegaUpload to download an entire commercial product...or if you do it in "real time" with a freeware utility.Hell...we even have a separate forum here on AVSIM that seems to advocate it.No animosity intended towards anyone or any product or utility. I'd just like to see a stop to "The Pot Calling the Kettle Black" in these posts. You either have integrity, or you don't. No amount of rationalizing your actions can change that.Rick

Rick Ryan

Hell...we even have a separate forum here on AVSIM that seems to advocate it.
Rick, what forum would that be?

EDIT: removed by meAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Rick, what forum would that be?
PM me, Tom. I'n not gonna start a flaming war here in public.Rick

Rick Ryan

a. Some people will always steal.b. Addon makers will never be able to prevent this.
A. True. Theft at every level of every society has been with us as far back as the garden....A visit to any warez type site reveals that everything from console games to pc software has been hacked, cracked, and distributed.It is, and has been a problem for businesses and vendors throughout the history of man and is indeed unstoppable despite laws, penalties, and prisons.B. True. Add On Vendors are faced with the same cold hard facts as Brick and Mortor Retail Vendors.C. Should Add On Vendors simply roll over and play brain dead? Hardly. Addon Vendors do have options to consider.... One of the most intriguing options floating around right now is to write the delivery/protection portion in a manner that detects a hack attempt and renders the underlying software unusable for the hacker. This approach would of course protect the Legitimate Users interest as well as the Vendors interest.It remains to be seen whether Vendors can actually achieve this but it is intriguing. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Mesa
One of the most intriguing options floating around right now is to write the delivery/protection portion in a manner that detects a hack attempt and renders the underlying software unusable for the hacker. This approach would of course protect the Legitimate Users interest as well as the Vendors interest.It remains to be seen whether Vendors can actually achieve this but it is intriguing. :(
I think FSD used a curious and possibly similar system which provided countless well documented false positives and made them kind of infamous in this community. I wouldn't be suprised if someone found a way to crack such protection within days of release, no matter how often it was changed.

All these semantic arguments always seem fun until you are the one who has been stolen from.By the way-I bought this product-promptly left for a two week trip-came back and found my computer trashed.When I went to re download found that my link had expired...I remain orbxless a year and half later.I didn't blame the orbix folks though....Imho simmers are missing the real point . Our fragile flight sim world is a sinking ship due to many factors-piracy being one-and it seems instead of helping plug the hole and trying to help people are complaining all the way down. My perspective not as an official "mod" but as a flight sim enthusiast since 1981....

I think FSD used a curious and possibly similar system which provided countless well documented false positives and made them kind of infamous in this community. I wouldn't be suprised if someone found a way to crack such protection within days of release, no matter how often it was changed.
Mesa, If you think I'm refering to the method used by FSD you've missed the point entirely.To clarify: Vendor A releases Product A which contains a schema which renders Product A unusable (read unfit for use) in the event that Hacker A attempts to hack.Such a schema would have no effect on Legitimate Users since Legitimate Users do not attempt to hack software. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png