Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrSpeaker

GEX Europe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PLEASEDont forget to DEFRAG.. you just installed a very LARGE amount of files ! :(

Sounds to me like Nick will have more time on his hands now to visit Avsim forums more frequently! :(I'll be buying this of course sometime this weekend.

PLEASEDont forget to DEFRAG.. you just installed a very LARGE amount of files ! :(
Defragging overnight :-) - just HAD to do a first flight (Slovenia to Italy). Great product, Nick - first impressions are very positive.BTW - O&ODefrag 12 reports 1.51% defrag level and 1.850 files defragged, so it's not THAT bad...

Defragging overnight :-) - just HAD to do a first flight (Slovenia to Italy). Great product, Nick - first impressions are very positive.BTW - O&ODefrag 12 reports 1.51% defrag level and 1.850 files defragged, so it's not THAT bad...
its not the volume but the specific files being called.. just about every texture and autogen file you are flying is fragmented from the install even if the overall number of them in compare the sim install may be lowGlad you enjoyed your flight!

Trying to plan my forthcoming (first) FSX installation - is this worth getting instead of UTX Europe?

Trying to plan my forthcoming (first) FSX installation - is this worth getting instead of UTX Europe?
UTX and GEX work together.. Each perform a different function there is a thread in the GEX forums that explains what we did to upgrade UTX Europe which includes night road lighting (we did the same with the default too)

Well I just had a quickie before Defragging and wow! you guys really have outdone yourselves this time! Flew from Glasgow to Bristol in the Kodiak and England really comes alive! the field textures are stunning and NO noticeable FPS hit :( Thanks again!

This is outstanding work guys, simply beautiful. I hope you will consider doing South America next, after a break of course :(

What a great product!!!The textures are really nice even from 500feet above ground.Thanks for your work.Patric

There we go again, 30 euros out of the window, but by god those screenshots look good!

My best purchase this fall, after my first bottle of "Beaujolais nouveau"!!Thanks Anthony and Nick for your talent and devotion to the community.GEX Europe is a pure jewel. :(

To be honest, I kinda thought the `wow!` factor is missing from the textures themselves (Note to developers: Try rationing your screenshots!) and no, I haven't tried all location and all seasons and times yet...BUT - and I need to say that again!BUT what has absolutely gobsmacked me is the new sense of depth perception these textures give. I made no changes at all to sim settings, haven't added any Mesh or Landclass, am not currently using UTX and have no useless tweaks in the FSX .cfg. So it can only be down to the artistry. Normally, using NON-widescreen settings I zoom out a couple of clicks to get the panoramic view and sense of `sky, everywhere` that FS on a desktop cannot replicate, but I now find that the non-zoom view gives a much greater sense of distance and three-dimensionalityIt's to do with the convergence lines in the actual texture artwork - brilliantly clever work aligning these without making it obvious and not something that was ever mentioned nor evident in static screenshots, but it is absolutely a reason to buy this product by itself, never mind your feelings about the textures. The sense of movement over a landscape is now visceral, tangible and, frankly, compulsive! It may even save having to add Mesh (contentious, but if you have a mesh product you can switch off try it and see if you agree, and also try the NON widescreen setting as frog-eye destroys convergence perception).Best money spent on scenery products in the last two years. `Nuff said. :(

Nick, what is the real truth for SSD drives when running under Windows7? I heard with a SSD drive you never need to worry about the disk becoming fragmented since that will not influence the read performance in the same way it does with a mechanical disk since the data is fetched electronicly instead.I'm very interested in this since I just in time for GEX Europe :( reinstalled FSX including all my addons like FS Genesis mesh, UTX, GEX, REX, ASA on a dedicated 160GB Intel X25-M SSD drive.Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this and congrats to your great release of the long-awaited GEX Europe!!

Nick, what is the real truth for SSD drives when running under Windows7? I heard with a SSD drive you never need to worry about the disk becoming fragmented since that will not influence the read performance in the same way it does with a mechanical disk since the data is fetched electronicly instead.I'm very interested in this since I just in time for GEX Europe :( reinstalled FSX including all my addons like FS Genesis mesh, UTX, GEX, REX, ASA on a dedicated 160GB Intel X25-M SSD drive.Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this and congrats to your great release of the long-awaited GEX Europe!!
NO!SSD is not a mechancial hard drive and requires no defragmentation which can damage it

To be honest, I kinda thought the `wow!` factor is missing from the textures themselves (Note to developers: Try rationing your screenshots!) and no, I haven't tried all location and all seasons and times yet...
The wow factor is usually missing in the dead of the winter season.. especially if you are not around mountain/tundra terrain where the GEX snow and glacier ice appear and are flying in flatter areas. UTX does add glaciers where they belong in the Alps along with lakes rivers and streams which are missing elements in default, and it better defines flatland areas.With no landclass installed Europe will be far less correct and very bland due to poor texture layout. The default landclass is very poorly defined which is why we suggest UTX and another 3rd party LC such as SceneryTech be installed. The combination of the LC's changes the texture layout and use however the seasonal changes will still not be correct. The sim does not play seasons correctly in Europe. It should still be Fall somewhat however past Nov 1 the sim will show the dead of Winter and will skip winter and go directly to hard winter in many places. That is a FSX issue with the season file which we do not change. In order to see fall the time must be reset to October 1st. We may look at edting the season file in FSX sometime next year however that is not part of our scope of work in texture replacement.

NO!SSD is not a mechancial hard drive and requires no defragmentation which can damage it
Ok, good to have it confirmed from you! Now I can stop thinking about boring things like fragmentation and start enjoying my fresh installation of FSX with GEX Europe :(

Just do the defrag. On my SSD it takes about 10 seconds. Just not 10x a day.GEX is a terrific product!jja

Just do the defrag. On my SSD it takes about 10 seconds. Just not 10x a day.GEX is a terrific product!jja
Nick strongly advised not to just a few posts back... I'd say he shouldn't defrag his disk, then.