Sign in to follow this  
corkyo4

REX Vs XGraphics

Ok,I have just being nosing around on youtube at FSX vids and was blown away by an Arian 737 vid featuring REX.I have X Graphics installed, but i have to say REX looks far superior.Is it worth a purchase?? does it affect performance much??ThanksTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Ok,I have just being nosing around on youtube at FSX vids and was blown away by an Arian 737 vid featuring REX.I have X Graphics installed, but i have to say REX looks far superior.Is it worth a purchase?? does it affect performance much??ThanksTom
-----------------------------------------------------------------As a result of what REX2004 did for FS9.X, I decided to buy REX v2.0 for FSX. I certainly wasn't disappointed. It makes the Caribbean for one example drop-dead beautiful. Flying with 4096 resolution clouds in multiple layers, as you gaze down from your Amphib to the COLOR ME BEAUTIFUL choice on the shallow water reefs ALONE, is the entry ticket. I finally had to do something else with my time, (lol) yesterday...but could barely pull myself away from a flight between the Grand Bahamas, to the Dominican Republic, at 5,500 feet ASL. It was that immersing. REX v2.0 was driven by A.S. 6.5 with A.S. Graphics not written to, or activated by means of A.S. 6.5's OPTION screen. Very much recommended! Oh, about performance. On my i7-975 (4.1 GHz)/GTX285 setup, I saw absolutely no performance impact from running REX v2.0.

What is X Graphics? Don't think I have heard of it. REX 2.0 is good stuff.

I'm assuming xgraphics does a similar job to Rex butI'm now thinking Rex is alot better
I'm assuming xgraphics does a similar job to Rex butI'm now thinking Rex is alot better

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

It is much better. I have both, but I cannot imagine going back to X Graphics after getting REX 2.

I don't see the point in all these X type scenery / weather products to REX 2.0 comparisons. Just buy it. There is a 99.9% chance that you will be happy you did.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi All,The comparisons are valid because both products are out there, being used everyday. Some use one, the other, or both in combination.X Graphics is HiFi Simulation's first graphics program for FSX: http://www2.hifisim.com/node/6It was released soon after FSX was released and when the hardware landscape was a bit different than it is now. So that is one reason that ultra-high texture resolutions were not included in the initial release. Many of us had enough trouble just getting FSX to run well!Choices are good!

-----------------------------------------------------------------As a result of what REX2004 did for FS9.X, I decided to buy REX v2.0 for FSX. I certainly wasn't disappointed. It makes the Caribbean for one example drop-dead beautiful. Flying with 4096 resolution clouds in multiple layers, as you gaze down from your Amphib to the COLOR ME BEAUTIFUL choice on the shallow water reefs ALONE, is the entry ticket. I finally had to do something else with my time, (lol) yesterday...but could barely pull myself away from a flight between the Grand Bahamas, to the Dominican Republic, at 5,500 feet ASL. It was that immersing. REX v2.0 was driven by A.S. 6.5 with A.S. Graphics not written to, or activated by means of A.S. 6.5's OPTION screen. Very much recommended! Oh, about performance. On my i7-975 (4.1 GHz)/GTX285 setup, I saw absolutely no performance impact from running REX v2.0.
What clouds are you choosing? I have REX2, and also still had FEX installed. I've thought clouds from FEX are nicer, and I find I am using FEX's sky colors AND clouds much more. I do like the weather engine in REX2, so use that, plus the different runwys/taxiways, etc. Could you share what particular cloud sets and sky colors you find the best for you?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What clouds are you choosing? I have REX2, and also still had FEX installed. I've thought clouds from FEX are nicer, and I find I am using FEX's sky colors AND clouds much more. I do like the weather engine in REX2, so use that, plus the different runwys/taxiways, etc. Could you share what particular cloud sets and sky colors you find the best for you?Noel
Rex, fex it's a mind field to know what to choose. I just want something realistic and high definition lol. What is fex like??? There seems to be more people on about rex so is that the better buy?

Tom

Rex, fex it's a mind field to know what to choose. I just want something realistic and high definition lol. What is fex like??? There seems to be more people on about rex so is that the better buy?
I own FEX, mainly because REX wasn't available at the time I bought FEX... It seems FEX clouds are a bit more realistic and REX is a bit more over the top (although I guess that's also due to the choices people make: I guess REX also has more natural clouds and so on). But if I had to choose now I would get REX: it offers more (weather engine, airport textures) than FEX and besides that, FEX is dead. Well, not really, but the guys who made FEX stopped working on it a year ago or so. Flight1 has taken over the rights and maybe they will work on it some more, adding the options that were promised but never delivered (weather engine) but I doubt it...In short: the get the most bang for your buck, I would advice to get REX, also because it has a future!

Guest shnala
I hear ya ! :( Used to have same doubts, some times ago.... I had only X-graphic for a long time and, looking at all those gorgeous screens, ofc... my mouth starts to get wet. Got a get copy to myself. Now when I have both, this is my opinion but I don't have REX for a long time. Basically, I must agree with previous posts, X-grapfic is much older and have a lower resolution graphic. Depends of the PC you have, you should decide what will you buy. On my Dual core AMD (5200+) the highest quality textures (monstrous 4096x4096) is making a small fps drop. Not too big and not in all situations, only some, with a lot other things to draw in the sim. But REX is already configured for all kind of PC's. I click on "dual-core PC" and... Everything look so pretty and... it has absolute no fps cost ! Lowering water & cirrus clouds text. from 1024x1024 to 512x512 and cumulus from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048 gives me that. Just what I want and just what my PC can do. I planned to buy Quad, some soon... Biggest thing that bothers me about REX is - incredibly looOoong loading times !!! :( I just left it to load his textures and then go and make something to eat... And I love to eat, so you can imagine that I'm absent for a quite some time. X-graphic, comparing to this is, well... likea lighting strike !!! Textures are (maybe) a not so "wow" quality... but you can't drink your regular size tea cup. No time for that. This is mainly, I think, 'coz of those huge "tropical water" textures, I check, they're the biggest folder in all REX section. And they deliver, yes.... they look way better than any other, X-graphic, FEX,... or else.Another thing... (if you still read :( )Can anyone, with much more experience, tell me one thing about REX !? When you load those huge textures, are they stay as a default from now on ? I mean, do I have to load them every time I start FSX ?!? (I didn't read explanation about that, sorry)"Yes" would make me very sad, cuz they load for so long, like I already said. X-graphic returns default textures after the sim is closed. I think at least.... And.... another difference.... REX doesn't have a "Roads n Rail" section ! B) X-graphic changed them. Although this is small add-on and it does not change the sim on great scale, it a nice touch. So.... REX - way better graphic. X-graphic - way faster, road n rail textures. REX wins, B) to be honest. If you're a "tropical person" especially ! peace,~shnala~___________________________________

I own FEX, mainly because REX wasn't available at the time I bought FEX... It seems FEX clouds are a bit more realistic and REX is a bit more over the top
That was exactly my take. Too many cloud sets are just plain unrealistic looking. But to be honest, I haven't tried a very large sample of them from REX2 yet.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It's purely subjective. There is no real way to tell what it's going to look like on your system, to you, unless you try it. For example, I have ASA, XG, REX, FEX. I use ASA for weather, XG for road/rail, REX for airport & tarmac and FEX for sky & clouds. Add in some specific sun & moon mods and the ENB bloom mod and I have what TO ME is a realistic looking experience. Couple that with ASA's ability to save snapshots of various sets and load them according to weather and it's a win-win situation.I do NOT use the 4096 textures - my system handles them with ease but IMHO they are not realistic. In all my years of flyinig IRL I have not run across clouds that were as 'sharp and edgy' as the 4096 texture sets. Again, this is MY eyes and MY opinion.I am not saying that one is better. We're talking about a visual representation and performance hit on your system - the ONLY way to be sure is to try them.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Another thing... (if you still read Raised Eyebrow.gif )Can anyone, with much more experience,tell me one thing about REX !? When youload those huge textures, are they stay asa default from now on ? I mean, do I haveto load them every time I start FSX ?!?(I didn't read explanation about that, sorry)"Yes" would make me very sad, cuz theyload for so long, like I already said.X-graphic returns default textures after thesim is closed. I think at least.... HelloNo you only need to load them once, same with X-Graphics, until you feel like changing them.X-Graphics does not restore the original textures when you close the sim.