Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

REX 2.0 Extreme

Is REX worth the money for FSX? It looks amazing but I want to hear what more people have to say. How does it run on your set up?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Is REX worth the money for FSX? It looks amazing but I want to hear what more people have to say. How does it run on your set up?
IMO, REX is essential. Either that or Advanced Sky.

i7-920 @ 3.2ghz | 6GB OCZ DDR3 @ 1600 mhz | GTX 580 1.5 GB | 1TB WD; 750GB WD | X-Fi Audio | 24" Dell LCD | X52 Flight Controller | REX-GEX-UTX-FTX

I like the replacement textures (clouds, sun, lens flare, runways, tarmac, etc etc) but I found the weather system extremely buggy, slow, and cumbersome. However, the relatively modest price is worth it alone for the clouds IMO.

Guest cbreeze

Greetings,After debating for a little while I took the plunge and purchased REX 2.0. All I can say is awesome. I would consider this an essential upgrade for FSX. My install went perfectly except for the long download time. Now when I fly the sky looks real. I just need to feel myself around the program.Hope this helps ya,cbreeze

Thanks for the mini-reviews and quick posts guys/gals. How are the ultra HD textures when it comes to perf.?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

If you have everything on full throttle settings in REX, it certainly can have an impact on performance, but to be honest, you don't need everything maxed out on it for it to look good, so it's not a huge issue. REX is quite a lot of bang for your bucks, and it can certainly make FSX look a lot better in many ways.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Looking at what it gives you, REX is one the cheapest addons available right now. And btw I use the lowest possible resolution for clouds and waters etc. and everything still looks great and performance is (of course) very good. (To tell you the truth I think HD doesn't look realistic at all... way too much detail. :( )Go get it.

One quick question about REX. Does it get rid of the ugly haze layer of default FSX? If it does, that's reason enough to get it. REX is next on my list of add-ons to pick up. I just like to keep performance up, and that's what's been keeping me from getting it, although many say it doesn't impact fps too badly.

One quick question about REX. Does it get rid of the ugly haze layer of default FSX? If it does, that's reason enough to get it. REX is next on my list of add-ons to pick up. I just like to keep performance up, and that's what's been keeping me from getting it, although many say it doesn't impact fps too badly.
One quick answer. Yes it gets rid of the ugly haze layer and will not impact your performance greatly unless your trying to use high resolution textures (which you do not need to get a good looking environment). As stated above the HD textures do not look all that real anyways. They just make for nice screen shots.

Thanks Sarge. I have FSX running so well after a fresh Windows install where I have finally attained totally smooth flight - like glass - and finally am totally immersed in the feel of flying. Fantastic! I obviously would get REX to increase that immersion factor as virtually everyone can't say enough good things about it. I just can't lose that super smooth performance I'm getting now. BTW, how does REX handle real world weather. Do you just download the weather in FSX with Jeppesen and REX does the textures? Thanks!

Thanks Sarge. I have FSX running so well after a fresh Windows install where I have finally attained totally smooth flight - like glass - and finally am totally immersed in the feel of flying. Fantastic! I obviously would get REX to increase that immersion factor as virtually everyone can't say enough good things about it. I just can't lose that super smooth performance I'm getting now. BTW, how does REX handle real world weather. Do you just download the weather in FSX with Jeppesen and REX does the textures? Thanks!
I open the REX Weather Engine and close it after I download the Wx. Clouds just feel better compared to similar products.The best part about the product is that weather theme changes are rarely needed as it is easy to like almost any configuration you could dream up and just stick with it. (endless possibilities)jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thanks for that Tim. Was looking through it, and it all looks great. Since you're the REX man, what kind of performance impact (if any) if I were to keep most settings reasonable. (1024 textures, etc.) I'll proabably get it over the weekend, just hopeful it's very performance friendly. After seeing the gorgeous screens and some videos, I'll be amazed if to see those visuals with minimum performance loss. I suppose that's what makes me a little nervous. Almost too good to be true. :(Todd

Thanks for that Tim. Was looking through it, and it all looks great. Since you're the REX man, what kind of performance impact (if any) if I were to keep most settings reasonable. (1024 textures, etc.) I'll proabably get it over the weekend, just hopeful it's very performance friendly. After seeing the gorgeous screens and some videos, I'll be amazed if to see those visuals with minimum performance loss. I suppose that's what makes me a little nervous. Almost too good to be true. :(Todd
You may lose some performance because you may use some more clouds and stuff than you did before, but in the end you are simply replacing what is there by default with better looking textures that aren't 'heavier' unless you use those high res textures. A bad looking default FSX cloud is just as 'heavy' on the system as a good looking one. I have ALL my REX resolution settings set at the lowest and it looks great. (Imho even more realistic than when you use the high res settigns.)