Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Good airport scenery packages

I have several of the ImagineSim airports ranging from their earliest to their not so latest and I like them. Atlanta, Dulles and Cincinnati are well done. I don't notice any problems with them in FS9 at least though there are some transparency issues with IAD and ATL at least with FSX and I rarely use that and there may be an update for them that I haven't downloaded yet. Newark and New Orleans are dated, but usable. Kansas City, LGA and Detroit fall in between to me. I like the IS sceneries, even with a bit of a hit to my FPS, especially running at 100% AI. I will buy more in the future as they do put a lot of detail into their sceneries. 

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

I can answer this question now as I have had both sceneries for KDFW. Firstly the FSDT scenery on the ground is absolutely stunning. Problem for me and quite a few users is the flashing and bleed through when viewing the airport from above, approach.
It was exactly you and just 1 other user that had THIS specific problem, all the others were due to not having applied the suggested setting of 10m/pixel Mesh Resolution with Mesh Complexity at 100, and they were all fixed by doing this.So, in case of the other user (cmpbllsjc it's an user here so, he can confirm all of this), since he was willing to try some serious tests, we 100% confirmed it was a problem created by Ultimate Traffic 2 which, apparently, sends too many Simconnect commands in a short time, stealing most of the available bandwidth in the communication pipe, so our module didn't had the chance to send its own commands, which are required for KDFW ground to work properly without any flickering when not on ground. cmpbllsjc was able to isolate the problem, which disappeared without UT2 and was lessened by playing the the UT2 settings. We weren't sure if this was your problem too, but it's very likely was something similar, either UT2 or another 3rd party module might impact the correct Simconnect functionality that we need for the scenery to work.Note that, we HAVE tested it with UT2, and found no problems whatsoever, even with 100% AI and default settings so, it's not that UT2 doesn't work with KDFW, most likely, an issue on cmpbllsjc system that already had a problem when Simconnect to begin with, only manifests when a module like UT2 use it extensively, but it doesn't happen on every system, otherwise we would have way more than just 2 users with it, considering UT2 it's quite popular. I have UT2 on my system, tried it extensively, and couldn't find any issue at KDFW, so I guess this is what's happening on the vast majority of systems.However, fact that were only 2 users having this problem, doesn't mean we don't want to find a solution, even if the problem is not the scenery, but is caused by other addons. We are working on a different solution right now, that would make the ground layer work WITHOUT depending by Simconnect so, we don't fall victims of other modules.The issue is, KDFW is UNLIKE any scenery made so far, it's really different from anything else, and doesn't have anything in common even with all the other sceneries we made, which is why it reach such unbelieably good performances in FSX, considering how it LOOKS and how BIG it is (it's like KORD+KJFK *combined*). I have better fps with it in FSX than FS9...We had to use really novel way of handling the ground layer (which is fully 3d, with elevated taxiway bridges that work with AI), which would have been impossible to do with the traditional methods. Or, more precisely, it would have been impossible to do with BOTH good quality AND performances at the same time. It would resulted either in a blurred mess OR in something that would only work on 1GB+ video cards with lots of stuttering OR it would have looked like a default airport, if we decided not to use a custom ground.That's why we had to use some tricky programming and using Simconnect to handle the visualization of the ground scenery, so we could use fully native FSX materials which are both faster and better looking ones that the FS9 code we (and everybody else) had to use so far, but there are side effect, like the one we just disclosed in your case and cmpbllsjc's one, that other modules that use Simconnect heavily might affect us, but not on all systems, otherwise we would heard lots more reports by now.But, as I've said, we'll try to sidestep the issue, and find an alternative solution that will not depend from Simconnect so, it would be usable even by the 2 users we have found so far having this problem and this should probably remove the chance other users will find having this issue in the future. But until then, having a Trial version, everybody can check if he's affected by the problem on *his* specific combination of hardware+software, that's the whole point of the Trial.

I'd like to add that since I am the "cmpbllsjc" Umberto is refering to in his post, I am confindent that he and his team will be able to find a work around for the problem with the ground flickers and bleeding that I am getting when UT2 is running. Like he mentioned I did a pretty extensive testing of all sorts of combinations of mesh settings, exe.xml/dll.xml settings, simconnect settings using either "Pipe" or IPv4, etc. In fact I spent about a solid 4 days of doing not much else except testing KDFW and different varieties of settings. I didn't even work for 2 days just to get this sorted, lol.As a disclaimer though, the problem isn't as bad as it may sound. The only time I have a bad problem with ground bleeding or double buildings being rendered is when I am running UT2 and I take off and fly somewhere and return to the airport. When I begin a new flight it works fine or if I fly here from somewhere else its fine. Its only a problem when I take off, fly a pattern, land, taxi, take off again, and then while in the pattern the flickering and bleeding begins. Even flying outside the sceneries radius of 16nm doesn't seem to fully reset it when I return.However all that being said, I dont often use the airport to fly touch and goes. Since most of my flights are either beginning or ending at DFW it works ok for that. It also gets way better FPS than the default version of DFW. I will like it though when I can fly around the airport and not have any issues.I would also add that the customer service that Umberto provides at FSDT is a 10 out of 10. He must be one of the most patient people I have every come across.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm just after some opinions on Airport Scenery packages for FSX. I don't really know much about this and am looking for some consrtuctive comment regarding effect on FPS,quality etc. Looking to upgrade some airports including EDDF on my system.Thanks Andrew
..Depends on your system specs, if its fairly high end or not, and where you frequently fly. Europe area very good airports are as follows: Mega Airport range.(Aerosoft) Exceptional extremely high end airports with excellent fps = uk2000 xtreme series airports. FSDreamteam are also excellent..see their site And seeing you reside in oz it would be criminal not to use ORBX scenery probably the best out there..see their site

Hi Dan,This was a more than a little flicker with terrible bleedthrough of scenery. This airport just didn't work on my system. This is the only airport that does this to that extent. Messing with XML.exe and XML dll files to try to get it to run properly is not my idea of install and enjoy. Dont forget Frankfurt and Amsterdam are complex airports and don't display this characteristic. The try before you buy argument has been raised but when you check out an airport generally its not from an approach or takeoff perspective. When I decide to check out some of the other AI traffic or other planes on Vatsim at KDFW,I discovered missing buildings, planes halfway in the ground, ground textures that just wouldn't load and I was able to move the camera under the ground! This scenery just didn't play well with anything on my system. It is a shame because on the ground the scenery is stunning.CheersAndrew
Furthur to my previous post regarding FSDT's KDFW, I wish to report that the issues I was experiencing have been fixed with the V2 update. Apparently the texture and flashing issues on my computer were caused by the scenery and other add ons interacting with and overloading simconnect in FSX. This has been addressed by the Developer Umberto and the result for me is astounding with absolutely no flashing or bleeding textures.As I gave the KDFW FSDT scenery a flogging in my previous post I thought it was the right thing to do to also give it the highest credos when the issue was resolved. I have now also purchased FSDT KJFK.Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Fantastic Andrew!!! I didn't know there was an update for KDFW available,glad it solved your problems.I would like to add my opinion to this thread,FSDT,and FlyTampa are in my view the best available for FSX,and as you can see their support is unrivaled.FTX orbx do small airports/scenery very well.Their newest WA79 Walter Sutton's private airstrip is full of little details and great atmosphere!!

Whilst I'm a humble FS9-er, I too can vouch for FSDreamteam's products being works of art (got 'em all) with outstanding support. Cheers, Chris D

Hi All, I have tolerated flickering addon airports for ages but due to lack of knowledge I have had to put up with it until Tabs post on 31.7.2010 re "How to set AA in FS9 and FSX for Nvidia driver etc." my landings at addon airports are just great with no jaggies or flickering. Like other simmers who have benefitted from Tabs info I for one is greatly appreciative. richard welsh.

I can say for certain FSDT has the best sceneries around:biggrin: My personal favorite is Chicago O'Hare KORD.

In my opinion, everything from FSDT is good, Fly Tampa is good, and Imagine Sim can be good if you're willing to do some after purchase texture work. Another simmer explained to me how to create mipmaps for textures, and that resolved all my shimmering problems with IS sceneries. If that interests anybody, check the regular FSX forum and look for the recent thread on the Imagine Sim Atlanta airport.

BTW, I should add that I have Imaginesim's KCVG,KIAD,KCLT,and KATL. I just recently purchused Fly Tampa's KBOS and KBUF and so far I'm impressed. I also have Aerosoft's CDG,LHR,and Brussels. Oh I have Dreamscenerys KIND for FSX.:(

Hi All, I have tolerated flickering addon airports for ages but due to lack of knowledge I have had to put up with it until Tabs post on 31.7.2010 re "How to set AA in FS9 and FSX for Nvidia driver etc." my landings at addon airports are just great with no jaggies or flickering. Like other simmers who have benefitted from Tabs info I for one is greatly appreciative. richard welsh.
I guess I am blind but I could not find the post your are referring to.Can you provide a link to it please?

Here it is David:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/291720-how-to-set-aa-in-fs9-and-fsx-for-nvidias-2xxxx-drivers-now-with-working-transparency-aa/

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I know this thread has lost steam, but thought it was a good place for my latest recommendations on the topic.Fly Tampa's KBUFandUS Cities X - Niagara Falls/Buffalo (FSX only)They work great together and since I got them can't help but have either my departue or arrival airport KBUF.I never bought any US cities until this, but decided to after reading this review.Also, I got the Fly Tampa's "St. Maarten Complete" around the time this thread started and highly recommend it. The complete comes with St.Barts (St Barthelemy Gustave III (TFFJ))! And is very nicely done. Not the ideal airport for a heavy, but you might be able to get the JS41 in and out of there and the Dash-8. If you haven't already, check out the real world videos of St.Barts on the tube, they nailed it in every way (as always).For those that already have or are thinking about getting the Fly Tampa's Grenadines package (another I got a few weeks ago), I uploaded several routes to and from each of the airfileds to ST.Maarten to Vroute Premium (There were none). Landing at TVSB is fun with the Runway slope it has.St.Maarten complete comes with: TNCM, TFFJ, TNCSGrenadines comes with: TVSB, TVSM, TVSC, TVSU, TGPZ

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier