Sign in to follow this  
VIPERGTSR01

New Microsoft Flight Simulator announced!

It looks like just a game to me, not a true sim like we have now.http://www.pcworld.com/article/203440/microsoft_flight_announced_loses_simulator_tag.html?tk=hp_new'Microsoft Flight' Announced, Loses 'Simulator' Tag Matt Peckham, PC World Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am 203440-microsoft-flight_original.jpg Microsoft plans to resurrect its limbo-bound Flight Simulator series, but simulator wonks may have cause to be more than a little nervous. That's because something's conspicuously absent from the venerable title this time, and it may not bode well for the series' aeronautical pedigree. Following the pop-cultural trend to truncate by lopping off numbers or appending a clumsy 'Begins' to a title, Microsoft Flight Simulator as a namesake is officially no more. Say hello, instead, to Microsoft Flight. No one knows what that means--Microsoft may show more of the game as GDC Europe 2010 continues through tomorrow, so we'll see--but it sounds awfully inauspicious for simulation enthusiasts. Though alternative series like X-Plane have recently rivaled Flight Simulator in air-physics-related fidelity, Microsoft was pretty much the gold standard for flight enthusiasts in terms of content breadth, depth, and customizability. Microsoft's PR line only reinforces the sense that the company's designing to the lowest common denominator: "Microsoft Flight will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight." When the company sacked its Flight Simulator team back in January 2009, no one knew where the series would go next. It seems we have a partial answer, for better or worse. If it's not the one you were hoping for, remember--there's always the increasingly formidable X-Plane, available for Windows, Mac, or Linux, and, unlike Microsoft Flight Simulator, optionally available in fully FAA certified garb, too.

That's not quite accurate! Captain Sim, designed and modeled the FA-18 for FSX/Acceleration!
That's not quite accurate :( FsDreamteam was responsable for that.

Guest Surgo

I don't know what Microsoft is going to do with addons, but it's worth remembering that there are Live games that do not require anything about Live to use add-ons. Fallout 3 comes to mind -- it's modtastic, and none of that requires Live at all. Even the official add-ons don't require Live.

and, unlike Microsoft Flight Simulator, optionally available in fully FAA certified garb, too.
That is a lie. ESP, which is FSX for commercial use is currently in use in FAA certified full-motion trainers.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I thought they made the interior model and systems, but CS made the external model? I know they have there own addon for the super hornet, but I seem to remember they did the external Acceleration model as well. I could be wrong though.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Not sure why everyone is panicking about them dropping the word 'simulator', it's quite obviously a move to break the need for backwards compatibility with previous FS versions and nothing more. So long as it is a 3D engine that can simulate flight and add-ons can be made for it, then third party developers can push its content, after all, just compare the PMDG 747 to the default FS one if you think that sort of thing cannot be done to an amazing degree.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Neither Bill nor myself stated any of that whatsoever.The direction someone at MS desired to take the FS franchise did not 'gel' with the ACES team, any of them. Thus MS dismissed the ACES team and started the next version of the FS franchise in the Games for Windows LIVE team. It's really just that simple.
This quote was taken from the thread here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/286974-sold-out-lol/page__p__1779773#entry1779773Ed and Fr. Bill both confirmed that the ACES team was sacked because the ACES PM didn't want to dumb it down.Do you folks really think it's going to be a simulation and not more of a "game"? I'm extremely skeptical...

Blake

It was a joint venture - they did all the gauges etc... CS did the models.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Its definitely NOT in-game visuals. Its just a pre-rendered promo video.
I would not be too sure about that. That water screamed of DX11 DirectCompute FFT. The graphics overall can be done with DX11, so I would NOT doubt it's authenticity fully.Because I know someone isn't going to believe the ocean is real.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1I4kts5mqcAlso, a little more interesting dev info on DX11, which shows it's true power.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8CUSiPDJ0&feature=player_embeddedAs a guy who primarily works with OpenGL however, I should note that a combo of OpenGL4 and OpenCL has about the same rendering capability as DX11 on Windows, Mac, and Linux, including Windows XP, depending on if you have the proper hardware.

Its definitely NOT in-game visuals. Its just a pre-rendered promo video.
I would not be too sure about that. That water screamed of DX11 DirectCompute FFT. The graphics overall can be done with DX11, so I would NOT doubt it's authenticity fully.
Better safe than sorry, that's all...I'd rather be happily surprised than woefully disappointed....

I had to resize this down to 1600 X 769, but it looks like we may have cloud shadows now if you look in the distance beyond the airport. This may or may not be an in game screen shot.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Anyone here play games on Steam? Anyone play World of Warcraft or Starcraft II? You know how you have a "friends list" in those games where you can easily talk to well... your friends? You know how there's a server that tracks your achievements in-game and posts them for your friends to see? I think that's probably what they're talking about with the "social gaming" here. This could be really cool for FS if done right... it works well in a lot of other games.Bottom line, don't assume you know what this is (ie, it's a game not a sim, it'll run like crap, this is going to ruin the hardcore sim industry etc) until MS has said what it is!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well, well, well, one of the first days this year that I didn't get the change to go to the forum and... MS Flight is announced! :( First reaction: darn, I just pre-ordered Orbx WA79...! :( Second reaction: it will probably take a year or two before MS Flight is even there...!Third reaction: oh... a (supposedly) sexy lady at the right on the Flight site... So we are heading that way, are we...? Bye sim, hello arcade.Fourth reaction: I would like next gen graphics... Maybe I will by it for fun and keep FSX for simming...? It's not a bad thing that they are working on something new!Fith reaction: a lot of talk already, while nobody yet knows what it is all about... Maybe it's just a game that offers a few islands and two planes and 32 sexy female pilots... Ah, well, let's wait and see, shall we?Sixth and final reaction (for today, that is): I'm looking forward to the release WA79! Yihaa! Glad I pre-ordered it so I can enjoy it sooner. :(

Since this is part of the Windows LIVE experience it will probably require logging in to a Live account and possibly even a subscription fee?? :(
Here is the full text of the official MS Press Release:http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/aug10/08-16MSGamescomPCPR.mspxWhat part of FREE* in the official anouncement is unclear?* Broadband Internet Connection Required

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Here is the full text of the official MS Press Release:http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/aug10/08-16MSGamescomPCPR.mspxWhat part of FREE* in the official anouncement is unclear?* Broadband Internet Connection Required
What part of POSSIBLY dont you understand? :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.