Sign in to follow this  
VIPERGTSR01

New Microsoft Flight Simulator announced!

I can't find it mentioned anywhere else (within AVSIM), not real sure if this is the correct place to post it either (please move it if needed) and not 100% sure of the validity yet. But anyway:According to various game websites, apparently within MS's press release for "Age of Empires Online" a new MS flight sim was annouced but to be called just "Microsoft Flight"

Microsoft Heralds a New Age of Gaming With "Age of Empires Online"New franchise installment joins exciting PC lineup of LIVE-enabled titles from Microsoft Game Studios.COLOGNE, Germany - Aug. 17, 2009 - On the eve of gamescom 2010, the world's largest consumer-oriented games showcase, Microsoft Corp. unveiled the newest addition to the famed "Age of Empires" franchise, "Age of Empires Online." Microsoft also announced the development of "Microsoft Flight," a new entry inspired by the best-selling "Microsoft Flight Simulator" franchise. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, these new titles, along with the previously announced "Fable III," fully integrate the free* Games for Windows – LIVE online service to deliver compelling socially connected gameplay experiences."Today, we're bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC," said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and minds of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways.""Age of Empires" for a New EraWith more than 20 million copies sold worldwide, the "Age of Empires" series redefined real-time strategy games for Windows-based PC players. Now, the timeless franchise once again invites players to experience its rich storyline in new ways. Developed by Robot Entertainment, "Age of Empires Online" will invite players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the globe. Begin the journey with your own Greek civilization, and watch as it progresses from a village to an empire. Embark on quests along the way, alone or with friends, and immerse yourself in epic tales, quirky characters, adventure, history and strategy. Together with the Games for Windows – LIVE service, "Age of Empires Online" delivers a rich, social experience that lets you play however you want - anywhere, anytime.Marrying fresh features with iconic gameplay, "Age of Empires Online" offers something for long-time fans, newcomers and everyone in between. "Age of Empires Online" will feature:* A persistent online capital city that lives and grows even when you're offline* Cooperative multiplayer quests, trading and a level-based system that lets you progress at your own pace* Fun, approachable style and storylines* Free-to-play experiences via Games for Windows – LIVE More information, news and chances to join the beta program are available at http://www.ageofempiresonline.com.Introducing "Microsoft Flight"Twenty-eight years after the debut of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0," Microsoft Game Studios also announced the internal development of "Microsoft Flight," a new Windows exclusive. "Microsoft Flight" will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight.A teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows-based PC is available at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/.Discover Adventure With "Fable" on the PC"Fable III" for Windows lets you once again join the action, drama and adventure while you rule Albion as the next king or queen in an ever-evolving world of rebellion and revolution. Discover new quests and unlock new regions as you make choices and sacrifices to test your morality and potentially affect your entire kingdom. The choice is yours: reunite the impoverished people of your kingdom as their monarch, or bring Albion to the brink of collapse.Powered by Games for Windows – LIVEAll three titles are designed with Games for Windows – LIVE at the core, delivering a seamless online gaming experience from start to finish. Log in with a single identity to earn Achievements and up your Gamerscore across Games for Windows – LIVE and Xbox LIVE. See your friends online, send and receive voice messages, text messages and game invites, and enjoy cross-platform communication. You even receive automatic game updates and the ability to extend the experience with Game Add-ons only found on the Games for Windows – LIVE Marketplace.
This is just announced and we will probably find out more at Gamescom gameshow which is just beginning in Cologne. I'm little concerning the "Simulator" part of the title has been dropped.Some sourceshttp://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/aug10/08-16MSGamescomPCPR.mspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/ (thanks JaggyroadFilms)http://i.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/microsoft-flight-announced-minus-the-simulator/http://www.thebitbag.com/2010/08/16/microsoft-returns-to-its-roots-in-pc-gaming-with-2-new-titles/Working MS webpage with teaser video thanks to wims in post directly below this onehttp://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/community/pages/gamescom.aspx

Well, there we go, looks like it is happening. And if it's got a Stearman in it, it can't be all bad.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've not been able to watch the video, anyone fare better? Onhttp://content4.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/99d6370e-0e60-4f1c-8a26-2055ee71c269.wmvIt just stops after 2 seconds, flying over water. If it works for you, tell me what it looked like!Simon

That's great news! It's hard to tell from the teaser exactly how serious of a sim this will be, or if it's more game oriented. Assuming the graphics are in game, (Which after the teaser screenshot of FSX, is a big assumption) graphics does look good. I hope this will put an end to all the naysayers who kept insisting, even after the public job postings for positions for it for Games for Windows Live, that it was going to be an XBOX app!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

And if it's got a Stearman in it, it can't be all bad.Al
Yea, that was nice, but me thinks I'll rather be flying MAAM's upcoming 'yellow peal' release; and will probably enjoy it more.....I just cannot get excited about this, but I may be completely wrong. Until we know more; long live FSX.

Just hope it doesnt have an option on the screen that says DX11 (preview) lol.But seriously, looking at the preview I would think its probably a while before its going to be released. Some time about this time next year maybe. At least theres going to be a Stearman in there it seems.Seems like some developers are on a NDA about it too already which is a good sign. Means at least they know where its going and what backward compatibility will be like with their products.Craig

Guest Bonkey
That's great news! It's hard to tell from the teaser exactly how serious of a sim this will be, or if it's more game oriented. Assuming the graphics are in game, (Which after the teaser screenshot of FSX, is a big assumption) graphics does look good. I hope this will put an end to all the naysayers who kept insisting, even after the public job postings for positions for it for Games for Windows Live, that it was going to be an XBOX app!
Its definitely NOT in-game visuals. Its just a pre-rendered promo video.

I've not been able to watch the video, anyone fare better? Onhttp://content4.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/99d6370e-0e60-4f1c-8a26-2055ee71c269.wmvIt just stops after 2 seconds, flying over water. If it works for you, tell me what it looked like!Simon
WOW, I just watched it about 10 times. It looks really nice and I cant wait until we start getting more info.Hopefully it will be a sim as we know FS9 and FSX tobe and not some type of game.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Interesting... :( Great news if this is a true continuation of the series and not some gaming hack job (a shell of the sim's former self).The sexy lady on the right side Flight's screen doesn't give me images of Amelia Earhart... She looks more like Lara Croft which isn't a good sign but we'll see.When they start adding vixens usually signals silly marketing tactics geared towards attracting teenage gamers... The original team is gone who consisted of pilots and the like. It's anyone's guess what this new team will do who's gotten a hold of the code... On the flip side we may see a program fully optimized for machines of the day with stellar advances that bring us all back on one sim. In a way I'm glade FSX isn't the last version and we'll see F11. Let's hope this thing builds on the franchise with a fresh set of development eyes. The bright side is the marketing writeup is referencing the series as a whole which is a very good sign. This thing may surprise us or it may be a huge let down. Either way I may be on FSX by then so it won't matter as much as the machines of the day should run FSX really well. If it's a dude they may come back strong with FS12. The new team will have honed in their skills by then and learned from their mistakes but that is a very long way out.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Its definitely NOT in-game visuals. Its just a pre-rendered promo video.
You never know, it's getting harder to tell these days. Judging from the water animations it could be in-game video.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So what happened to "Simulator"...?:(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.