Sign in to follow this  
Guest VirtualXpert

Additional Clues about MS Flight

Good snooping guys. One thing that caught my eye is that they mentioned 3DS Max but not Gmax. That could put a lot of freeware developers out of business.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I'm just very happy to read the indications the Microsoft Flight will continue the FS legacy of facilitating third-party development. I have always thought the strength of the series was the additional developments it allowed. There were some initial concerns that the open development might be closed off.An additional point of speculation is whether it will be a PC platform or strictly X-Box?Ken

(Quote- "I’d think management sees the problematic launch of FSX RTM as their own failure." Not likely- experience tells us that in any organization: (corporate/government/military/non profit) Upper management is always right -even when they're wrong!)
I know I’ve couched my words, but I’ve been in this exact situation many times.The team does the work with the resources they get. But it’s a two way street.Management constantly monitors scope and budget…and it’s adjusted when/if the situation requires.I’m not making the argument it should have been extended - just that it was one tool management had, and chose not to use.If they consider it a failure they own it.
As a result, however, it is very likely that Flight will meet all its milestones! Hence the milestones may not be as ambitious as with FSX.
I agree to an extent, it’s the challenge for every game and every milestone. Setting and meeting milestones is the heart of it.From my time, after a difficult project the pattern for the team is to endeavor to reduce scope on the next one.And management’s role will be to build confidence and set some higher goals (maybe even address some of our wish lists items :)Within 16 months a precarious balance is struck.In practice the balance is to over scoped with an option to subsidize or cut.Peak performance is hitting ambitious milestones with the resources allotted.That takes experience, skill, and cooperation on all sides. :( Just my opinion :)

An additional point of speculation is whether it will be a PC platform or strictly X-Box?
There's zero need for speculation. The official press release made it crystal clear it will be PC only... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

An additional point of speculation is whether it will be a PC platform or strictly X-Box?
I'd ask myself, "Would everyone be so excited that MS is 'continuing' FS if it was for X-Box?" If you look at the end of the trailer video on the official website, it says, "Games for Windows." Developing add-ons is supposed to be easier than ever now. (I'm really happy about this) I don't think you can model aircraft on an X-Box. LOL.gifSo, yes. It's for PC. I'm positive there won't be an X-Box version.:wink:EDIT: Dang! n4gix beat me! :(

Brandon Filer

I'd ask myself, "Would everyone be so excited that MS is 'continuing' FS if it was for X-Box?" If you look at the end of the trailer video on the official website, it says, "Games for Windows." Developing add-ons is supposed to be easier than ever now. (I'm really happy about this) I don't think you can model aircraft on an X-Box. LOL.gifSo, yes. It's for PC. I'm positive there won't be an X-Box version.:wink:EDIT: Dang! n4gix beat me! :(
how are you positive there wount be an X-Box version?

how are you positive there wount be an X-Box version?
The official press release made it crystal clear it will be PC only!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since we are all having fun speculating on Flight- consider the possibility that MS will use it to wean us over to Windows 7. That is, it might not run on earlier operating systems such as XP or Vista. Profitability doesn't derive solely from the sale of a new flight simulator.And as a point of interest, looking back to previous Flight Simulator reissues- FSX is soon to have the longest life span of all prior versions. Former holders of the longevity title are FS2 and FS4- each both about 4 years.FSX release was Oct 2006. One might wonder if these factors auger for a release of Flight sooner rather than later?Alex Reid

Since we are all having fun speculating on Flight- consider the possibility that MS will use it to wean us over to Windows 7. That is, it might not run on earlier operating systems such as XP or Vista. Profitability doesn't derive solely from the sale of a new flight simulator.And as a point of interest, looking back to previous Flight Simulator reissues- FSX is soon to have the longest life span of all prior versions. Former holders of the longevity title are FS2 and FS4- each both about 4 years.FSX release was Oct 2006. One might wonder if these factors auger for a release of Flight sooner rather than later?Alex Reid
sooner is not an option .. the program is not even at the point for internal (pre beta) testing.

sooner is not an option .. the program is not even at the point for internal (pre beta) testing.
If "sooner is not an option", do you have a specific release date in mind?Alex Reid

Now why are you saying this? I read that an alpha version is almost ready for testing...

Brandon Filer

Now why are you saying this? I read that an alpha version is almost ready for testing...
I bet there is 15mos. between the alpha testing and release. Look for release in 2011 holiday season.

I'd ask myself, "Would everyone be so excited that MS is 'continuing' FS if it was for X-Box?" If you look at the end of the trailer video on the official website, it says, "Games for Windows." Developing add-ons is supposed to be easier than ever now. (I'm really happy about this) I don't think you can model aircraft on an X-Box. LOL.gifSo, yes. It's for PC. I'm positive there won't be an X-Box version.:(
Yeah, I am so much totally happy about that. If it was for X-Box I am sure they could have cut down the major part of the current user base. Well just speculating. But for me personally that would have been it, I had never gone over to X-Box for any flight simulation title... So FSX would enjoy quite a longish stay! Big%20Grin.gif

HelloI know for a FACT!Flight will be released in time for the 2014 world cup.Or for a FACT!it will be released in time for the next transit of Venus.Or for a FACT!it has already been released travelled back in time and has emerged after a parallax Universe event as FS2002.These are facts,I KNOW!Andy(Facts are my business)Want to know more then send a cheque for eighty two thousand quid to me at Valles Marineris Mars.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.