Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG 737 NGX: PMDG's attitude toward realism

The only thing this airplane add-on needs is similar landing lights as the Airbus X. That is my only wish left.

The only thing this airplane add-on needs is similar landing lights as the Airbus X. That is my only wish left.
Yeah, that would be a great added feature to get lights like the Airbus X.Although I am still hoping for VC rain drops that start to appear when speeds drop below a predetermined value like 140 kts. I know they say the drops aren't visible in flight, but I found a couple youtube cockpit videos shot by some airline pilots that show when they are on final in rain, you can definitly see the rain hitting the windscreen as the a/c slows on descent. Or at least it would be nice to have them while on the ground. Maybe added as an option you can turn on or off since not everyone likes rain drop.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

.... HEEEEELP....I can´t see the vc-pictures in full size - tried Google chrom an Explorer - !!!Jesper - Denmark
I am also having problems viewing the pictures. Firefox, Chrome and Explorer. I can see other pictures on the forums. Any ideas?

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest acezboy561
I'm sure we'll look at how to implement it when we do the 777-300.
So your doing the -300 series? :(

I thought that video was real,but whoa!!! Its a commercial and silly at best.:(

Really? Did you just post that? Are you a real pilot? Are you a developer? Have you ever been in a REAL 737?I feel your cons are not good cons.EDIT: I feel for people that make opininos on things that not even complete based off real pictures seems very biased. Also I find the dirt very realistic. Perfectly clean planes are not.

OMG Awesome!!!!!!!!I Would give 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000Euro for this Plane AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JSUT OMG AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WUHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CANT WAIT!!!!!
Excuse me but with all those zeros I will buy the real thing !!!! LOL

William M.

Banner_FS2Crew_Instructor.jpg

i have never seen a 737 cockpit that dirty. NEVER.
I have. You'd be surprised how nasty those cockpits can get. It is missing some graffiti around the window frames though. Pilots can be like little kids, writing things about their co-workers or management. :(

NAX669.png

Remember that's not the final look of the vc. Look at RSR's post when he posted that picture.

Moses Velasquez

Hey everyone this is a rather dumb question.. But can someone point me out to the FSX.cfg location in the folder... I'm pretty sure is C:/ programfiles(86) / microsoft games / FSX ???? after that im lost i cant find it.....Geoncarlos Colon
Your FSX.CFG file is located here: C:\users\yourusername\app data\roaming\microsoft\FSXMake sure you have the "Show hidden files & folders" option unchecked in your folder options.Hope this helps.CheersWill

William M.

Banner_FS2Crew_Instructor.jpg

i have never seen a 737 cockpit that dirty. NEVER.I just feel i need to point things out and not deny things i know are true.that picture of the VC gives me this '40 year old, over used, and not cleaned because being sent to the grave yard' feelingabout the dirt:1. the screen smudges make a very realistic effect!2. the wear and tear (probably spelled that wrong) on some buttons and commonly used switches is VERY realistic!3. the dirt on the comms, overhead, and main panel are not realistic. HOWEVER, a little bit is nice, as you will never find a clean cockpit. but cockpits are still cleaned. its not like they are cleaned every 5 years.im not saying PMDG did a horrible job and should be scolded and cry in a dark corner. because, fsxflyer, thats what your making it seem like what i said. what i REALLY said was that some things may have been over exaggerated in development.this NGX still makes all other addons look like crap because it shows how much effort was implemented in the product. but all i am saying is i think that the effort still could've been shown in a clean flight deck.
I respectfully disagree. PMDG modelled the NGX based on a real functioning 737 that is being flown consistently. The dirt you see in the screen shot is the dirt you see in the real airplane. They did not add it in there. Simple as that.

Guest yankeesji

With regards to the "Pros and Cons" post, I believe all modeling was done based off a real airplane and real pictures that were taken.

well, i know its too late to change. geez, people act like i dont like the addon.
Don't take it like that. We were just explaining to you that PMDG took the shots from a real airplane, they did not decide to make it unrealistically dirty. It doesn't look too dirty from afar anyways. As long as I'm in the sanitary quarters in my room, I think I will be fine. :(

CONS1. MCP colors do not match the rest of the flight deck.2. cockpit is WAY too dirty for realism3. Cockpit looks a bit out of scale (too skinny in some areas. this may also be because of the angle the shot was taken)4. I dont get that "baby Boeing" feel i get with the Ifly and pictures of ariane and PMDG's FS9 737. Once again, i think that feeling is generated due to the colors.
1-3: It is literally not possible for these things to be more realistic than they are within the confines of FSX. This is not some subjective opinion of mine - I was there and I took the photographs that became the NGX textures. I took them with a professional-level camera with an extremely nice lens mounted on it. I'm talking $5000 worth of equipment here - this was not some little point and shoot with inaccurate color reproduction. The camera was color calibrated and the photos were shot under an overcast sky with diffuse lighting - the absolute best conditions you can get for accurate reproduction in imaging. The actual cockpit we photographed was *DIRTIER* than what appears in these textures - we actually did tone it down somewhat. Do you seriously think we just made up all the dirt and stuff? I don't know how the colors and dirt level can be "unrealistic" when they're literally straight from photos of the real thing. This is a real line aircraft in service, you could go fly on it tomorrow.Here is an actual photo I took on the airplane:ngxdirt.jpgI think you'll agree that what we have is much less dirty than the real thing actually was.4. I think you've grown way too accustomed to what our old FS9 NG looked like - unfortunately the old NG's modelling is quite wrong in many respects, including the color (it's hilarious that you claim it's right, considering most people have criticized it). The NGX VC is based on the actual Boeing technical drawings and documentation as well as numerous precise measurements we made inside the real aircraft's cockpit. You also have to realize the fact that a 3D graphics engine ALWAYS introduces some level of distortion to an image, even if your modelling is dead on with the real engineering drawings. It isn't real 3D objects, it's 3D objects being represented on a 2D screen, and you flat out can't do that without distorting things vs. how your eyes actually see them in the real world. Literally every game engine on earth does this, and FSX is no exception. That screenshot was also taken at a very wide zoom angle to get the whole thing in the field of view. (again, necessarily distorts things with the fisheye effect the further out you zoom.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I have. You'd be surprised how nasty those cockpits can get. It is missing some graffiti around the window frames though. Pilots can be like little kids, writing things about their co-workers or management. :(
Swap the Pogo Stick for a Penthouse and then you've got "As real as it gets".