Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

What would you rather have?

You can get this jet for $200,000http://www.aircraftdealer.com/aircraft_for_sale_detail/Cessna_Citation_I___500___501/1974_CESSNA_CITATION_500/31433.htmor you can get this little slow prop for $432,000http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-TURBO-182T-SKYLANE/2011-CESSNA-TURBO-182T-SKYLANE/1191035.htm?I don't get it? If I hit the lottery I'm getting myself a little single pilot business jet, not a single piston, what's up with that?

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

That's not really a fair price comparison, the Cessna 182 is at the list price for a brand new one whereas the Citation is a used one with 5,400 hours on the airframe, so it may have some pricey maintenance coming up. The new list price for a Citation Mustang is about 2.7 million USD, i.e. nearly six times the price of the prop. Then you've got the difference operating costs and different runway requirements, plus the licence requirement differences, including the fact that in Europe you need two people in the cockpit of the Citation for some operations, unlike in the US. So if I could afford to buy either, I'd rather have the 182 to be honest, as I could fly that out of any of the airports near me apart from EGCC.Of course if money was no object at all, I'd have the Citation LOLAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cessna 182....because it does not have the maintenance expense of a jet, and because I live in New Zealand so a C182 is more then enough to get you around here...Cheers

Matthew Kane

Yeah the jet most likely has inspections coming up and is probably not RVSM certified which would make it a huge gas guzzler since it can't get up into the normal cruising altitudes.

Hi Jeff,Props are more fun... You can't tool around 1000 feet above the ground in a Lear... Most jet flying is done at altitude following the little magenta line under IFR... The skylane is pretty nice - for a high wing - has a decent load and some really long legs... This is on my wish list and should run less than 100K - seems as if it would be way more fun than a business jet...http://youtu.be/gVNFfTSbwAsWatch in HD...Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Yeah the jet most likely has inspections coming up and is probably not RVSM certified which would make it a huge gas guzzler since it can't get up into the normal cruising altitudes.
On that same website, there was another Citation, same model, one year newer (1975) that was RVSM certified, I believe it was going for $295,000.
Hi Jeff,Props are more fun... You can't tool around 1000 feet above the ground in a Lear... Most jet flying is done at altitude following the little magenta line under IFR... The skylane is pretty nice - for a high wing - has a decent load and some really long legs... This is on my wish list and should run less than 100K - seems as if it would be way more fun than a business jet...http://youtu.be/gVNFfTSbwAsWatch in HD...Regards,Scott
I agree that props are fun, but I think if I had half a million, I would buy the jet. One reason is that, I live in Michigan, my family lives in Las Vegas, plus I like to travel as much as enjoy sightseeing (in the air) so from a "just want to get there" standpoint I would want a SP jet.I do like that RV-7 though, they are sweet, and fast! And, I like that sundowner even more.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

On that same website, there was another Citation, same model, one year newer (1975) that was RVSM certified, I believe it was going for $295,000.
Again there is probably more than what the ad is conveying. Even though it has RVSM it might have a huge inspection, lots of hours and timed out engines. A good quality Citation 500 should be more around $500-600K.

Again there is probably more than what the ad is conveying. Even though it has RVSM it might have a huge inspection, lots of hours and timed out engines. A good quality Citation 500 should be more around $500-600K.
Maybe no USB ports . . .? . . . or worse: only ONE. :(

Hi Jeff, Ahh - actual transportation - lol - I see your point - the bus jet would fill that niche nicely... I'd also consider a fast turbo prop - unless I had an unlimted budget... One of my absolute favorite planes in FS is the DA Cheyenne - it really is am incredible plane... Thanks - yep - the Sundowner is mint and a joy to fly... I plan on keeping it for a while as previous owners really went overboard on the avionics...Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Speaking of 182s... Has anyone checked out AOPA's prize aircraft this year? The "Crossover Classic" is a 1974 Cessna 182P. I had the pleasure of looking her over in Boss Aircraft's finishing hangar at Rowan Airport, and she looked sweet (I'll admit I'm partial to 182's because I used them during instrument/com. training). What was a $50,000-$60,000 a/c has received a makeover to become a $200,000 one. I wouldn't be able to afford the taxes on her if I won the sweepstakes, though... :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You can get this jet for $200,000
Great deal, problem is that it would probably cost you at least $100 K the first year after you bought it.

The 182 easily beats out the Slowtation for me. Now if it was a Citation X....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I showed this to my boss, a millionaire many times over. I'm not a R/W pilot, but it seems to me that even if he had to put another $500,000 - $750,000 due to needed maintenance that it would still be a good deal. Would you all say that was a fair assessment? He only travels between Philadelphia (KPHL) to Boston (KBOS) or Atlantic City (KACY), and KPHL and direct to Miami (KMIA).Then again, the airframe is coming up on FORTY years old, isn't it?? Maybe not such a good deal . . . :(

Then again, the airframe is coming up on FORTY years old, isn't it?? Maybe not such a good deal . . . :(
See that's the problem. Larger aircraft have huge inspections usually at decade intervals which are even more intensive than annuals. It is usually cheaper to pay more up front than rebuilding a whole airframe.