Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

OK, Admit it Realism Junkies

I have been loving this new feature of using the keyboard to enter data into the CDU. How many of you are using it and how many are still imputing data with the mouse and buttons because you feel it is more realistic. At first I thought that and then I realized that real pilots do not use a mouse to input the data.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

So far I have only used the keyboard to type in winds aloft data a bit quicker. When entering the route (which I prefer to do manually over loading a flight plan), or doing any of the preflight pages, I am clicking on the buttons with the mouse.I am not sure I am doing it because I think it is more realistic, it is mostly just habit.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

So far I have only used the keyboard to type in winds aloft data a bit quicker. When entering the route (which I prefer to do manually over loading a flight plan), or doing any of the preflight pages, I am clicking on the buttons with the mouse.I am not sure I am doing it because I think it is more realistic, it is mostly just habit.
No, fair enough what ever works right. It is nice to have the choice. It is one of those nice extra touches.

Mike Keigley

Only just picked it up - ie re-read the manual. It is fantastic. I was going to buy a touch screen as my second screen to be able to input much more easily. Now I will just buy a Razer Black Widow backlit keyboard and use the 'green line' input method.

Only just picked it up - ie re-read the manual. It is fantastic. I was going to buy a touch screen as my second screen to be able to input much more easily. Now I will just buy a Razer Black Widow backlit keyboard and use the 'green line' input method.
About 3 months a go I purchased a Razer Lycos. I love it for the feel of the keys and being able to see the keyboard when I am wearing my 3D vision glasses. The only issue that I have had so far is a random freeze with the keyboard that requires a reboot. mad.gif

Mike Keigley

I have been loving this new feature of using the keyboard to enter data into the CDU. How many of you are using it and how many are still imputing data with the mouse and buttons because you feel it is more realistic. At first I thought that and then I realized that real pilots do not use a mouse to input the data.
I see it that way: the mouse pointer is my hand in the cockpit and I consider using the mouse more realistic for the simple fact that the real FMC in the real aircraft has a specific layout and my QWERTZ keyboard looks nothing like it. Sure, using the real keyboards adds a tactile sensation but has a very different typing flow than using the A-Z keypad layout of the FMC. I only use keyboard/joystick/hotas shortcuts for time sensitive things like lowering the gear and flaps on approach, because I don't have a yoke. and I would have to juggle my hands to make it work. Everything else is done in the cockpit, using the virtual representation of the real deal.

EZCA doesnt realise you are holding the Tab button when type an "A" or "S" in the CDU though, so your view changes every time i type one of those letters. Not a PMDG fault - purely EZCA. Very annoying!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I prefer the old keyboard method form the 747. Means I can input with one hand and don't have to hold down the tab key.

I prefer the old keyboard method form the 747. Means I can input with one hand and don't have to hold down the tab key.
You can do this in the NGX as well, just click in the scratchpad area.

Mouse click on the scratch pad and you don't have to hold tab.

Keyboard emulation is a must, just doing it by mouse is a PITA. I'm a realism junkie, but there are limits, this is flight-sim after all. Until touchscreens are commonplace and affordable, no one can look down on someone taking some shortcuts here and there.

You can do this in the NGX as well, just click in the scratchpad area.
Mouse click on the scratch pad and you don't have to hold tab.
Cheers guys, missed that one.

i generally use the mouse to key in data to the fmc, i used to use the keyboard at any opertunity but ive found myself using the mouse more often, i dont really have a reason for it rather than preference

I use the keyboard,

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020