Sign in to follow this  
Tui737

Active Sky 2012 & NGX

i'm with you on that...and supposedly the Essentials update addresses this...waiting patiently
it is not REX nor AS , that isse.it is FSX.here is the tweak that would help alot.CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

I agree. CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12 makes almost 100% OVC, there are still some brakes but it looks better than =8
Yes, and also it´s not a real OVC. It´s just a lot of Cumulus clouds. Still there isn´tany weather program out there that can make an "carpet" of white or grey mass below you. To pitty but true.Also that fix will change back again if you fiddle in FSX settings./ Leffe

AS2012 using their install route graphics.2011-12-23_1-26-30-251.jpgAS2012 using their install route graphics2011-12-23_1-27-48-829.jpgAS2012 with REX winter preset. The runway is AS2012. (So I drifted left. Blah!)2011-12-24_4-29-50-198.jpgASE2012 using their install route graphics. Sorry for the airplane.2011-12-22_23-27-40-436.jpgAs far as overcast, I would say that for me I would experience the old "flying inside the doughnut effect" about 30% of the time. When it does work out it is incredible. I'm glad I bought it.

Yes, and also it´s not a real OVC. It´s just a lot of Cumulus clouds. Still there isn´tany weather program out there that can make an "carpet" of white or grey mass below you. To pitty but true.Also that fix will change back again if you fiddle in FSX settings./ Leffe
From the REX update I asked about this paragraph:"NEW vertical and horizontal visibility feature. We have spent months researching and testing how to handle the visibility with FSX. We have now integrated this feature within our new weather engine. You can still set a default visibility, but you can now enjoy more realistic vertical and horizontal visibility based upon metar reports."Nothing kills the realism more to me than having rainy overcast conditions on the ground just to have the 'fog' disappear around 2000 ft up. Indeed it was mentioned that making it realistic is an fsx limitation to some extent. But one of the developers said that there have been great strides in improving this.This is a screen shot of REX with the updated engine:4.jpg

Interesting thing, I never experienced the "S-turn problem" But now with AS2012 and the recommended settings in fsupic as well as fsx.cfg I experience that problem from time to time. I did not use ASE before but REX and FSrealWXlite instead.Thanks for the help and a Merry ChristmasPeter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

can anyone tell me how long (in second, Min') it take for AS2010 to inject the Textures into FSX when pickingbased on flight plan route? before one could Fly.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

can anyone tell me how long (in second, Min') it take for AS2010 to inject the Textures into FSX when pickingbased on flight plan route? before one could Fly.
It depends on what size and what type of textures (32bit of DXT5) but I have mine at 4096 DXT5 and it take 2-3mins

Gavin Price

takes about 1 minute fro me using 1024 textures. It is now fast enough that I can inject textures after entering the flight plan.

From the REX update I asked about this paragraph:"NEW vertical and horizontal visibility feature. We have spent months researching and testing how to handle the visibility with FSX. We have now integrated this feature within our new weather engine. You can still set a default visibility, but you can now enjoy more realistic vertical and horizontal visibility based upon metar reports."Nothing kills the realism more to me than having rainy overcast conditions on the ground just to have the 'fog' disappear around 2000 ft up. Indeed it was mentioned that making it realistic is an fsx limitation to some extent. But one of the developers said that there have been great strides in improving this.This is a screen shot of REX with the updated engine:
Are they saying anything about the release date yet?

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Are they saying anything about the release date yet?
It's been asked but I haven't seen a definitive answer.Probably trying to avoid the resulting forum rage that occurs from giving a time frame for something and then letting it slip- like what usually happens around here.

Ok, first let me say that this is not scientific and I haven't investigated it to a "deeper level".However, after uninstalling REX and switching to AS2012 it is my feeling that FSX seems more stable. Not running out of memory or missing textures in VC/add-on scenery. I can go on a three hour flight, leave the NGX on ground power for hours and come back and fly several more legs on IVAO and everything is running real smooth the whole time. Is it me, or is someone else also seeing this? Regards

Well I got a huge boost in perforance from AS2012 using 1024x1024 resolution along with DXT5 Clouds and DXT1 Runways and Water instead of 32-bit HD. Everything still looks great and with the increase in performance you can move your FSX sliders further right..If you want an idea what the DXT5 and DXT1 look like see here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/357876-scooting-over-the-fence-at-princess-juliana-tncm/

I haven't tried using DXT textures yet, how much FPS extra does that give you compared to the 32-bit textures?

Richard Åsberg

I bought AS2012 and I love it so far. Previously I had REX without ASE. In fact, I was about to get ASE just before AS2012 was announced, then I just figured I'd wait for 2012. So I wish I could compare it to the REX+ASE experience but I really can't. One thing I will say, however, is I prefer REX's runway/ground textures at least from what I've seen so far.Clouds/sky, etc. are still just as good, if not better, in AS2012.