Sign in to follow this  
FFT170

80 knots call on take-off

Hi everyone,is there a way to have an 80 knots call out on take-off ?Luc Vanasse

Regards

Luc Vanasse

Some of the real life checklists will refer to this. The purpose mainly is that you would reject takeoff for any reason before 80 knots, then for major items only between 80 its and V1 ( Fire, Engine failure, Thrust reverser deploy, loss of control or obstruction on the runway mainly. Then this call is also used to cross check airspeed indicators to confirm same indication since the pilot flying is looking outside ( the pilot non flying confirms indications). The MD11 and the 747 emulate the call.

Regards

Luc Vanasse

Luc.I have been using FDC Live Cockpit for years,and it gives you a co pilot to talk to,or more like for him to talk to you. I have mine set up for each aircraft to give me my check lists (pre start / push back / taxi etc) and also any other calls you might want (80 knots / Rotate etc) You can set it up any way you like,and it is a lot of fun to do.( I just 'borrowed" one of it's many wav files and now when I press the "Chime" switch,it now goes .....Dong......."Doors to automatic please" But you will need a sound editor to do that,) but in it's normal function it will give you a lot of flexibility to play around and get what you want by way of call outs and checks etc. I would not want to be without it now.Dennis

Dennis Elliott

One of the main reasons why 80 knots is important is to remind the pilot that at 84 knots " THRUST HOLD " is annunciated.This means that the pilot can advance the throtles to takeoff N1 manually, if the autothrottle fails to do so. (which can/does happen)Fred.

Thank you Dennis and Fred. There should be an easy way around this.... The 80 kts call already exist in the MD11 sound files. The thing is how to fit it into the NGX. Not like Fred I am almost retired but not on the same type of aircraft. I would suppose his input would justifies looking into this .

Regards

Luc Vanasse

One of the main reasons why 80 knots is important is to remind the pilot that at 84 knots " THRUST HOLD " is annunciated.This means that the pilot cannot advance the throttles to takeoff N1 manually, if the autothrottle fails to do so. (which can/does happen)Fred.
Correction !Fred.

One of the main reasons why 80 knots is important is to remind the pilot that at 84 knots " THRUST HOLD " is annunciated.This means that the pilot can advance the throtles to takeoff N1 manually, if the autothrottle fails to do so. (which can/does happen)Fred.
Correction !Fred.
Strike TWO! Fred/Jason.

Matt Cee

Is it not there? I could swear I've heard it in there before, but I could be crazy...Check the FMC options.

Kyle Rodgers

TKS Kyle, I have been looking all over but never found it. There are 2 place for Vr ( that will give you 2 Vr calls if both activated) but no 80 its call.If you find something let me know .

Regards

Luc Vanasse

+1 to adding the "80 Knots" callout!I'm so used to hearing it. It's a little hard to get used to not having it on this addon.

We need FS2Crew!!! That's why we need the SDK ASAP!!!

James Goggi

isn't 80 knots call out is to let you know that the RTO is now armed and operational if you decide rejecting takeoff?I remember reading some where that the RTO would only engage at 80 knots or above if rejecting take off was to be practiced (by pulling the thrust to idle, etc). any speed below that the RTO wouldn'tengage.EDIT: ohh yeah, now I remember. it was on one of the AoA 747 training videos it was mentioned when they talked about Rejecting take off.it was told that RTO would only engage at 80 knots or above, in other words, the RTO system would interpret the sudden pulling of the thrust to Idle as a desire for rejecting take offonly at 80kt or above. any speed below that it would not commence rejecting take off (Max breaks, spoilers, etc), as you might just be taxing or whatever and pulling the thrust to idlewhen taxing (as you might want to stop at the RW or gate, etc) wouldn't be pleasant if it would think it is an RTOit might not be the case with NG however, I don't know.anyway that is what I always believed was the reason behind the 80kt call out.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

i thought originally the 80knots call was a reminder that you are leaving the low speed phase of flight and entering the high speed phase, it was also used as a crosscheck to make sure all Airspeed indicators were showing the same airspeed, if there was a difference of a certain amount then the takeoff would be aborted.

90 knots is the RTO trigger speed. 80 knots is the limit for a low speed abort and a cross-check on the airspeed. 84 knots is the speed at which the THR HOLD kicks in. You can move the T/Ls if you want, but the A/T is inhibited in THR HOLD. Below 80, you can abort for minor problems after that, you're going to continue unless it's a fire/failure, PWS or the aircraft is unable or unsafe to fly. Or something along those lines. Your mileage may vary.

Matt Cee