Sign in to follow this  
halobiont

A Good Landing

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing" <---- Not true, you can grease an NG without floating at all.. Passengers seem to enjoy a soft touchdown as well. :(

Tony Fontaine

The trick is, to flare pretty late and touchdown at around -100 feet a minute, it's very important not to float too much. Check out my YouTube videos, I've got some landings there showing this.Here's and example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzQFd7NjIrQ&feature=plcp&context=C3774b86UDOEgsToPDskJPByy_TsQsLjVkpJeUzL_K

One thing to pay attention to in my videos are is the flaring technique. Flare at around 25 feet, move the throttle slowly to idle at around 10-15 feet, and make sure you get a V/S of around -100 just above the runway, at around 3 feet. One thing, to not take my approaching-the-runway-very-low habit because it's definately not good. I was approaching the runway a little too low in most videos. Flaring was good though.

Which is the best way to know how much wind is on the runway ?Many times I find myself to be slightly blown right or left and the ATIS seems to me quite imprecise. Thx

Hi fellas. You seem to know your descent rate upon touchdown, how do you do this?
You can try this very nice free addon mentioned previously in this thread:http://www.utr-online.com/Software.asp?page=4

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Which is the best way to know how much wind is on the runway ?Many times I find myself to be slightly blown right or left and the ATIS seems to me quite imprecise.Thx
Take atis as reference and also have a look at the ND at the Final Approach Fix. Use the visual of the runway or the Localiser needle to get lined up, then set a crosswind correction. Hold that heading to the degree and then if you drift too one side add or subtract more crosswind correction. Keep doing this until you find the correct heading that will keep you centerline at your approach speed. If the crosswind holds it's velocity and heading as you get lower and closer to the threshold, then as you bleed off speed to get to your Vref over the fence, you will need to add more crosswind correction into the wind as your foreward velocity is slowing.Start out practicing on a visual approach and you will get the feeling for it. You will find yourself making slight corrections as soon as you feel like your a hair off centerline. Don't overcorrect as you will start doing shallow "S" turns across the localiser/runway centerline.It will make things easier, if before the OM your trimmed out and in a stable descent on the GP. This relieves you of having to worry too much about pitch as well as roll. Personally, I find I get into the groove on the approach, pitch/power wise, well before I do heading wise and it helps if you remember the particular power settings per flap/gear position that has worked in the past on a stable approach.Hope this helps.JB

FS wise, I noticed that, no one is concerned about Vref. I try not to get below Vref at touchdown, while trying to have a reasonable touchdown fpm (300 or less).

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Pilot Trainer,Touch down vertical speed can be seen in the replay. Go to "Options" and replay and make sure you tick the loop box so that you can see it repeatedly and from different angles. I don't know about the NGX because I don't have it but with the 747 if you press "W" while in replay all you see are the basic 6 instruments and one of them is the VSI which will give you a reasonable estimate of your vertical speed, despite the lag, on touchdown..Jack, your point about feeling vertical acceleration in a real GA aircraft is spot on - shows how long it has been since I was in the real thing.Nice video Arjen! Very different technique to the 747 where you start closing the throttles at 30' while bringing the nose up into the landing attitude. That seems a very late flare but obviously it works very well indeed.Gerry

Not that this is a perfect example of that (more like a perfect example of why you need to be certified to land at St.Barts),
That's a perfect example of carrying too much airspeed into the landing... It looks like he had a good 10 to 15kt headwind too.It's also a perfect example of not going around if you haven't touched-down by the first third of the runway.
Who is there right mind looks at the VSI during a touchdown anyway?
+1
am I wrong and is the VSI indication not slow?
You are correct Bert, in that, there is "lag" with the VSI. That is, unless you have installed an IVSI (Instantaneous VSI) which most GA aircraft do not. Fwiw, I think the FSX Grumman Goose has an IVSI.
Which is the best way to know how much wind is on the runway ?
Active Sky :(
FS wise, I noticed that, no one is concerned about Vref.
If there is a single instrument I will be monitoring during a visual approach, it will definitely be the Airspeed Indicator... as I definitely will know what speed I want for touchdown "over-the-fence".

I usually bring the throttles to idle at 20 feet, start the round-out, and flare at 10 feet. I get touchdowns with a sink of less than 100 fpm almost every single time.

Thanks for all the tips, they really helped. Just landed at -45 fpm! I also tweaked CH yoke with the control manager. Sensitivity 65 with one click up on the gain for the Y axis (elevator).

Doug Wilson