Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

Some experimental XP10 scenery shots ...

Just wanted to show you a set of screenshots from my latest experiments with the Scenery.Essentially, you can see three things here:- increased mesh resolution (and thus, increased landclass accuracy). This makes mountains (but many other places too) even better. Only drawback is, that DSFs are much larger, and 32bit X-Plane chokes on them sometimes (but the 64bit version should "fix" this one day).- tuned forests a little bit (little bit smaller trees, and increased density).- my new, experimental add-on of tree-lines (trees along roads) + farms in USA and Europe (all derived from OpenStreetmap data with a few "little" algorithms).http://picasaweb.google.com/101666907909842492197/XPlane10SceneryExperiments

WOW! These are the first words that come to mind. These changes make X-plane 10 look much more realistic. There is something extremely natural about the positioning of landclass. The forests look great with the new tree heights. Overall, it's a big step up. When are we likely to see these changes released?Thanks for posting the photos. It's great to see what's coming!Cheers,Steve

Well, essentially you are seeing three things, and they might come in different ways :)

• forest changes will trickle down to the users trough the usual X-Plane updates (but don't expect the density changes immediately, as there might be another "little" overhaul in forests coming too ... which will take a little time ... but it will come).
  • the HD mesh (as I call it), is another beast. First its big ... and I will try to find a way, to make it available one day (at least a few regions - I have the Alps, Pyrenees, USA/Canada W/NW, Alaska on my disk ... 15 GBytes in total) ... maybe I can use one of those shady filehosters. Second, with 32bit X-Plane you would need to be a bit more patient ...as it crashes more often (usually when it loads new scenery tiles on the fly), because it runs out of virtual memory (this is, where 64bit XP will be a big help - which will come, just be patient).
  • tree-lines + forests are a little, ongoing project of my own, and I will release this (for free), as soon as I am confident enough that its good (I need to do some more Blender work on the farm objects etc.). And I could imagine, that in a more distant future, we might incorporate this tech in the mainline Global Scenery generation (but this is purely speculative on my side - as I don't know what other, even cooler tech the future might bring).

Triple WOW!Awesome stuff. Keep it up, I caint wait to see what X-plane has in the future.Rob

Quadruple WOW, :( , I couldn't resist. Those shots look amazing, the future is very bright.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Looks good.Question about urban textures. From a distance urban places don't look urban, they look rather rural. Is that likely to receive some attention in due course?Anthony

Looks good.Question about urban textures. From a distance urban places don't look urban, they look rather rural. Is that likely to receive some attention in due course?Anthony
In one or the other way very likely (I think, Ben might Blog about this sooner or later) ... but its not part of these experiments, nor of the thread.

Just wanted to show you a set of screenshots from my latest experiments with the Scenery.
Fantastic! Who needs OrbX with scenery like that?Are ground textures custom ortophotos, or generic global scenery textures?E.g. in this shot:http://picasaweb.goo...146655173477794Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It uses exactly the same textures as the default Global Scenery :( (or simply put: this HD mesh is the same as the Global Scenery, only with increased triangle count ... thus improved representation of elevation and landclass data)Aaah, sorry, that one (and there are 2-3 more) picture is a an exemption ... was just an add-on airport scenery what you see there (this one: http://www.x-plane.hu/cms/magyar-repterek#lhpp)

Impressive work!Giving roads some occasional tree neighbors goes a long way to improving the look, and the improved mesh resolution on the mountains is a very welcome change, considering the mountains of X-Plane have always had a very sawtooth/razors edge look to them.Good stuff.

I love the buildings in image 27 & 31. They really look like german constructions of the 70ties and 80ties.You have to bring this into the global scenery, same for the farms. As freeware might be nice of course, but only a handfull of people will find it. And the variety of buildings really makes the difference...

I love the buildings in image 27 & 31. They really look like german constructions of the 70ties and 80ties.You have to bring this into the global scenery, same for the farms. As freeware might be nice of course, but only a handfull of people will find it. And the variety of buildings really makes the difference...
Those are from an existing add-on scenery from X-Plane.it ... Not my work.

Very nice stuff indeed. Your changes to the trees do look very good - that's definitely the way to go.A few questions out of curiosity:

• Does that increased tree density have a big fps impact?
  • What resolution is the "hd mesh" you used in those shots?
  • Would there be a way to increase the mesh/texture resolution for orbit textures that seem to be used for anything further than 25nm too?

Great stuff - keep up the good work :(

Great pics. I love that the trees look to be much more true to life scale. My biggest complaint with any flight simulation program has been that the scale is always quite off, from the size of trees, to the size of autogen houses, to the size of waves, to the size of cars. It makes the flying experience look rather odd, but, Andras, this looks absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to these changes and any future updates. Thanks so much for moving this in the right direction.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations