Sign in to follow this  
Knottypine1979

New A/C available.

My first thought when I heard it was a Zero was wondering if some people might find it offensive. I personally find it in poor taste, and a lot worse than using Downfall video cllips to make parodies, something that Tom really doesn't like.It's one thing to use these planes in a specific combat scenario. That's what the combat scenarios are for. But having the "meatball emblem" flying over Pearl Harbor? Hm.Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

But in the same time you think its appropriate to fly over virtual Yugoslavia/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/Vietnam and throw your bomb where you like? Should I mention all those FPS games based in Yugoslavia/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/Vietnam? Hypocrisy in it finest incarnation...
I don't think people from those countries would play games that involve bombing their country. So I don' think it is hypocrisy. Its just about who the software is marketed to.

I personally do not find the fact that it is a Zero all that relevant to the real concern, that concern at the core being a plane without a cockpit.The fact that it is a Zero, and some may perceive that to be offensive, some may perceive it to not be offensive at all, and then some have no real opinion on that aspect either way. In any event that is highly subjective to the individual's taste - and there is no right or wrong in any of that, and neither group should be looked down upon or critisized for having their opinion on that in any way.Just again, my humble opinion...

I personally do not find the fact that it is a Zero all that relevant to the real concern, that concern at the core being a plane without a cockpit.
+1

Guest russellbdavis
Thank you for your comments concerning this release. Some people consider FLIGHT to be just a game for kids, I do not, it is more then that. This can have very serious repercussions, or am I being over dramatic, I don't think so. Most kids today have no concept of history. That is why history will always repeat. Never mind the fact that a Zero would never stand a chance with a D model Mustang, I don't believe they ever crossed paths in combat.
The only reason this seems inappropriate to me is the fact there is a real-world grave distinctly identified in FLIGHT where many men lost their lives. That ship was sunk to the bottom of that harbor by the attack of Japanese Zeros. Yeah there are all kinds of fighting games where you can shot at the enemy, they can shoot at you, you can be the enemy if you want. But FLIGHT made a big deal about how beautiful the islands are and have done a great job at showing that. Hawaii is a very special place for the United States. But to spotlight an aircraft that represents one of the darkest moments in the history of the U.S. is irresponsible to me. Since FLIGHT seems to be pushing the GA world of flight more than anything, another civilian plane would have been a better choice than a killing machine used by Kamikaze pilots, IMHO.

I don't see anything listed on the Flight website, and when I try to connect through the Games for Windows Live program on my computer, I get an error it cannot connect. Strange...

I don't see anything listed on the Flight website, and when I try to connect through the Games for Windows Live program on my computer, I get an error it cannot connect. Strange...
Maybe they've changed their minds and are frantically finishing the cockpit that's probably already +90% complete anyway. I would actually buy the Zero (and the P-51) if it was properly equipped.As to seeing Japanese planes in Hawaii, yeah, it's a little odd, but I got used to it in real life. I've seen a lot of aircraft with the "meatball" painted on them parked on the ramp at Barber's Point (now Kalaeloa) and Kaneohe Bay, as well as ships flying that flag docked in Pearl Harbor. And yes, those ships do render proper honors to the Arizona as they make their closest approach to the Memorial while turning the corner at South-East Loch.Times have changed and Japan is a US ally now. On the many times I've been to the Arizona Memorial, the Japanese there have always been more quiet, respectful, and thoughtful about the events of that day in 1941 than most of the American tourists.

My uncle lost his life at Pearl Harbor. Gone but not forgotten. The Zero was a very poor choice of aircraft to release with Hawaii. I wouldn't buy it even if it had a cockpit. Not sure if I will buy any additional DLC now.

I dunno. You'd think if they plan on selling the deluxe version then there would be no cockpit of any type in the basic P51 rather than just trying to hide it. . .still strange to me :)
It's only strange because you don't know that the exterior model and the interior model are two completely separate objects. The external model has a low resolution "painted" cockpit to keep the framerates high. When viewing the model from the outside (spot view) there has to be something to see, right?If there is one at all, the interior model has a fully functional and detailed 3d panel and gauges, but only those parts of the exterior model that can be seen from inside the cockpit! In other words, you can see the top of the wing, but there's no bottom to the wing. Likewise, there is no landing gear! Again, this is to keep framerates as high as possible.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

But in the same time you think its appropriate to fly over virtual Yugoslavia/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/Vietnam and throw your bomb where you like? Should I mention all those FPS games based in Yugoslavia/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/Vietnam? Hypocrisy in it finest incarnation...EDIT: added word "virtual" to be more clear.
Great response. It's amazing what a small world some people live in. Maybe Flight really is as big a world as some people need it to be. I think I'd be pretty scared if that mentality was to fly over me. So, it's OK to bomb and kill other people, but if it happens to us........Hmmm, out of touch? Maybe somebody needs to get in touch.War is war and is a terrible thing, no matter where the bombs fall.
+1
The only reason this seems inappropriate to me is the fact there is a real-world grave distinctly identified in FLIGHT where many men lost their lives. That ship was sunk to the bottom of that harbor by the attack of Japanese Zeros. Yeah there are all kinds of fighting games where you can shot at the enemy, they can shoot at you, you can be the enemy if you want. But FLIGHT made a big deal about how beautiful the islands are and have done a great job at showing that. Hawaii is a very special place for the United States. But to spotlight an aircraft that represents one of the darkest moments in the history of the U.S. is irresponsible to me. Since FLIGHT seems to be pushing the GA world of flight more than anything, another civilian plane would have been a better choice than a killing machine used by Kamikaze pilots, IMHO.
But you forget that the plane do what you want.The plane is just a tool. Like a knife: you can use it to cook or to kill.So should we ban knifes? or should we really think about what on earth make people to kill each other to make things really change in this world ?And here, we are talking about the planes, not the soldiers who have been told to kill people just because they are the "enemy"The problem is not the plane itself , but the war itself.War make people crazy, both sides.Since MS released the P51, it is logical that they release the A6M.I am not surprised at all,But it does not mean that they will not release plane that we want more.Patience, patience and patience is required.

I personally do not find the fact that it is a Zero all that relevant to the real concern, that concern at the core being a plane without a cockpit.
+1. Although even a Zero with a cockpit wouldn't appeal to me. I'm just not a Zero fan in general.
... That ship was sunk to the bottom of that harbor by the attack of Japanese Zeros. ...
Not to split hairs, but the Arizona was most likely sunk by attack aircraft (Vals, Kates, etc... A quick google search didn't turn up the exact type). While Zero's did take part in the Pearl Harbor attack, it probably wasn't Zeros that sunk the Arizona.

The Arizona was struck a number of times by bombs and torpedoes... it was a Kate that hit / caused the forward magazine to explode.

Apparently it has been down since yesterday ~6:00 PM CST

The Arizona was struck a number of times by bombs and torpedoes... it was a Kate that hit / caused the forward magazine to explode.
I knew someone would have that fact at the ready!

Apparently it has been down since yesterday ~6:00 PM CST
Hmm, perhaps being updated for new content... speculate, speculate... it is the 1 month anniversary after all. :smile: