Sign in to follow this  
funk420

New Flight blog article / One more warbird to come?

So I was just checking out the Flight website, and I noticed there was a new blog post today, titled "Warbirds in Hawaii" (https://news.microso...-in-hawaii.aspx).

Here is the very first line:

"With the release of the P-40, the penultimate release in Microsoft Flight’s warbirds in Hawaii theme, here’s a quick look at how each of our DLC plane releases fits into Hawaii’s rich history of military aviation."

By them saying the P-40 is the penultimate release (I had to Google definition of penultimate to be sure: http://www.thefreedi...com/penultimate) it means it is the 2nd to last, which tells me there is one more planned.

Either way, it's an interesting article and they kind of link together all the warbirds they've released so far. Here's to hoping after these we get some more planes with VCs.

"With the release of the P-40, the penultimate release in Microsoft Flight’s warbirds in Hawaii theme, here’s a quick look at how each of our DLC plane releases fits into Hawaii’s rich history of military aviation."

Dear Lord. That’s like squirting lime on an open wound.

Military Aircraft fit best into a military game, this is a civilian Flight simulator/game or whatever you might call it. Let’s hope at least they add a cockpit.

Yes, give me some Military Aircraft, but after you deliver some GA or Commercial aircraft. (w/cockpits)

Either way, it's an interesting article and they kind of link together all the warbirds they've released so far. Here's to hoping after these we get some more planes with VCs.

Of course they want to link them. They need to give some reasoning to someone’s decisions.

Either way, I’m waiting for Alaska and some GA (with cockpit) aircraft.

Hello

Well I guess it is one of these,

>Early in the Pacific Theater, the F4F Wildcat was a mainstay of US Naval airpower, but very much outmaneuvered by the Japanese fighters. The development of fighters such as the P-38 Lightning, F4U Corsair, and F6F Hellcat".

Which one does Paul have in his Museum ?.

Once again their Copywriter has let himself down, a job vacancy there for Chock maybe!

Best comment ever made on the Flight Website:

"...Among the hardships faced by pilots of this era is the fact that cockpits had not been invented yet. That's the real reason that flying these warbirds was a very loud and windy undertaking. Many of them became hard of hearing..." :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Best comment ever made on the Flight Website:

"...Among the hardships faced by pilots of this era is the fact that cockpits had not been invented yet. That's the real reason that flying these warbirds was a very loud and windy undertaking. Many of them became hard of hearing..." :LMAO:

Note to self: I owe one internet to whoever posted that

F6F or B-25, then, based on what's in the museum. Or maybe an Oscar, I guess, if they want to minimize variety.

warbirds in Hawaii theme
nice to finally get a glimpse at what they have on their developing minds, better late than never, sheesh.. With a little more foresight, this could have been a great theme for "everyone" to enjoy, have VCs in all the aircraft and throw in some WWll type scenery, some CAP (combat air patrol) missions, etc.........

While I am curious about the last aircraft, it probably won't have a VC either, so it really doesn't matter, bummer.

Best, Michael

KDFW

hello

With the amount of tricks this outfit has missed, they would have no future doing a magician routine on stage

If they release a B-25 with a VC and a carrier to take off from Doolittle style, they can take whatever money they want! I haven't bought any cockpitless DLC, but I might go for a F4U Corsair.

That means that Alaska is probably the "Bush" theme. Bush planes. And I knew that Hawaii was the "War" theme. Otherwise, there would be no point for that P51 in the first place.

And to me, cockpits don't matter in any ancient warbird. It's war! Ancient as in before warbirds contained turbofan engines. But it does matter in every other aircraft that is planned to come out.

Interesting. I like this tact better then just dumping warbirds. At least this gives an explination that there is a theme going on. It also softens the blow for what we can only hope is the LAST warbird.

The question is, what will be the last warbird? If its a P-38, im going to be REALLY REALLY ###### that I didnt get to model it. Lets just say I have a very VERY long history with the P-38 in flight sims. I dont think it will be, since the P-38 didnt play a significant role in Hawaii itself. Yes, it was there (even at Pearl Harbor), but no actions really stand out. So the question is, whats the last warbird?

Going with the theme, its Jap or Yank. Here is a list of possible aircraft.

Japanese

Nakajima B5N "Kate"

Aichi D3A1 "Val" dive bomber.

Both played a critical role in Pearl Harbor.

US.

Navy.

F4F Wildcat fighter

F6F Hellcat fighter (Paul Allen owns an F6F)

F4U Corsair

SBD Dauntles dive bomber

TBF Avenger

Os2U Kingfisher (Floats! Would actually buy it even without pit!)

Grumman J2f Duck (Again, amphibian, and would buy without a cockpit)

Army

P-38 Lightning

P-47 Thunderbolt (Paul Allen again)

P-39 Cobra (did serv in the Pacific, but rare)

Allied

Supermarine Spitfire (Paul Allen)

Hawker Hurricane (Paul Allen)

The Brits did have aircraft in the Pacific, but did not station any in Hawaii spacific. I only bring it up since Paul Allen ownes them, and that seems to also be a theme. I dont know what they have, but if I were a betting man, I would guess its Navy and something owned by Paul Allen. F6F gets my vote.

After this, I will be GLAD to move on on bush aircraft, but I hope they dont make a Cessna 150 without a cockpit and balloon tires.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Ok, so it will be a month until the next plane will be released (as promised) and it will be another warbird. (No buy for me.) The next rumor is that Alaska will be released the end of June. That would fit in the schedule. That means I will have to keep myself busy with just Hawaii for yet another two months... Don't know if that's possible... but we'll see. I don't think I will be flying in Flight as much by then as I do now...

My interest in Flight has diminished greatly since all these cockpitless warbirds started getting released. What good are warbirds that can't shoot (so not any good for combat) and have no cockpits (so worthless to me for civilian flying)? Is Flight a combat-free combat sim? Or a civilian aviation sim? It seems even the Flight development team aren't even sure what they're trying to make Flight into. If they can't keep the interest of those who already love flight sims/games, then how do they plan to keep the interest of new people who want to play through and beat a game in the shortest time possible, so they can move on to the next 'big thing '? I have not and will not buy any aircraft without a cockpit, and if next month is just another cockpitless warbird, then MS can forget about me purchasing Alaska, as I don't see Flight doing anything to keep me interested, and their half finished planes will not keep my interest, nor will they generate any income for Flight from me. I've tried to maintain a positive outlook for Flight, but MS is making it very hard for me to support Flight, let alone recommend it to others or purchasing any more add ons for it.

Just my 2 cents.

So if MS launches 4 Alaska bush themed basic planes that could otherwise be pretty usefull for deeper simming, I feel this would be even more dissapointing than the basic warbirds have been.

Gotta agree with ya there ;)

Honestly, I don't really see a point in any further basic planes, at least for a while. I can understand why some people might want a simple toy to play around with (I have my own toys I enjoy), but they are only going to buy so many versions of essentially the same toy.

I love movies, but I rarely buy the "theatrical" version, the "director's cut" and then get the "ultimate edition" when it finally appears. They're more or less the same. I'll watch the one I prefer, if I have a choice, but I'm not going to sit and watch all of them. I just don't see three (or four) unarmed WWII single-engine tail-dragger fighters without cockpits offering experiences substantially different from each other to warrant adding more.

Considering that MS hasn't thought of any actual use for the current basic planes other than joyriding, and anything less than a fighter-plane will be a lesser joyride, where could they go from here with basic planes?