Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Heads up for nvidia users

This is more for the 570 and larger cards. Even when I had to use a 570 while my 580 was RMA I noticed a degrade in performance compare to Bujotes tweaks. Once I went back to the 580 and went with the Word Not Allowed's and new driver it was all good again! I believe that is stated in the outline. ( very much so in heavy clouds). IMO if using less than a 570 I would stay with Bujotes tweaks, Ryans Nvidia Inspector settings/no Vsync for peformance.

Right, I just went back to the Nvidia website and checked and the recommended drivers for my card are the 296.10.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

>>>Huh? I am sorry, but I don't understand your question.

Full screen is opposite of windowed.

Vsync fix does not work in windowed.

Word Not Allowed,

I mentioned that my question was sort of weird... sorry. But my point is this: while in windows mode what can I expect from your mods? I use usually full screen in FSX but for the external IVAO software it is recommended to start FSX in windows mode, not full screen.

I understand that vsync fix does not work in windows mode - I guess that I can also use FSX in windows mode but not taking full advantadge of your mods. Am I right?

Sorry for the mess...and thanks a lot for your input.

Edmundo Azevedo

I went to the nvidia site to download the new drivers and was basically told by the text that my 460GTX /1GB will not handle the 3xx series drivers and to stick with the 29x drivers.

Ray

The specs for the beta driver says otherwise:

Performance Boost – Increases performance for GeForce 400 Series and 500 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 296.10 WHQL-certified drivers.

Performance Boost – Increases performance for GeForce 400 Series and 500 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 296.10 WHQL-certified drivers.

Yes, these are driver inbuilt optimisations for mostly newest AAA-games and are part of every new driver release. It is most likely that these don't bring at least anything big to the FSX GPU performance. These beta drivers are, if I remember correctly, first unified drivers and first 300-series drivers were just for the new 6XX series. Because these are beta, Nvidia don't offer them officially until they are released with WHQL status. I've used these betas a lot and they have been as good as official drivers every time.

Well I actually prefer the external limiter and the 285 drivers on my GTX460 which works far better in my scenario :-)

André

I have a GTX260 only. But I did try the new drivers and as noted above, I'm not making it up, I had significant issues. Upon reverting back last night I had several excellent flights in the PNW region including the new Orbx Stewart and everything was fluid and no loading issues, flashing of water issues, odd scenery elements behavour nor blurries. Basically I would think that I just don't need them until I get a video card upgrade.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Anyone with issues needs to completely rebuild the fsx.cfg file after installing the new drivers. Let it create a new one, then make changes to the menus like changing frame rate to locked at 30. Doing all this with a tweaked config is asking for problems.

That is an old school. Seriously - I don't know the last time I started with the fsx.cfg from scratch. As long as you know what you're doing... (but that might also lead back to your post)

How does everyone install these drivers? Do you select a clean install?

That is an old school. Seriously - I don't know the last time I started with the fsx.cfg from scratch. As long as you know what you're doing... (but that might also lead back to your post)

I have seen many dll and oom problems when using the fsx.cfg file to make certain changes instead of the in game menu. One is the framerate from unlimited to limited. I have seen duplicate nvidia graphics card lines and other weird duplicate sections.

I went to the nvidia site to download the new drivers and was basically told by the text that my 460GTX /1GB will not handle the 3xx series drivers and to stick with the 29x drivers.

Ray

I have 470 and 3xx work great for me, big improvement in smoothness

Yep lol can dream that stuff by memory :-)

André

Add this at the top of your cfg:

Which .cfg please?

I have seen duplicate nvidia graphics card lines and other weird duplicate sections.

Exactly my point. The only reason for remake of the fsx.cfg is an user error, nothing else.

Mostly users have no idea what they changed or any other tool they managed fsx.cfg with (edit: please don't understand me wrong, I'm not saying everyone is stupid, it's just the experience I gather from reading thousands of posts), and things get miraculously solved by remaking it.

Here is something I never saw anyone suggest, but is another of my little dirty secrets:

When installing new driver, I rename my fsx.cfg, let FSX remake one, close FSX, look into new fsx.cfg, copy the NVIDIA line, to make sure it's the same as one in the original, and simply paste it over the one in the original file. Rename old back.

As Andre said it, I could recite the fsx.cfg by memory in the middle of the night if it needed be. At least the important parts :smile:

This tweak is fantastic! It has worked superbly well for me...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Howard, I'm very glad it's working nicely for you! Seemingly it works really nice for those top notch cards.