Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Just ordered FSX

Agreed!!! I've only added Southern English photo scenery & Megascenery!

Never had any problems! FSX, Win7, maxed clouds, i7, maxed traffic, low autogen,

Good frame rates, PIC 737.

Peter Sydney Australia

Agreed!!! I've only added Southern English photo scenery & Megascenery!

Never had any problems! FSX, Win7, maxed clouds, i7, maxed traffic, low autogen,

Good frame rates, PIC 737.

Peter Sydney Australia

Funny you mention Windows 7. I've read quite a few reviews stating they have had issues running FSX on Win 7 64-bit machines. I can't figure out why that would be though. Has anyone here had any issues running FSX on Win 7 64-bit?

Did some additional tweaking of the graphics settings on the FSX demo where all display settings were maxed, frame rate set to 30, resolution is 1600X900X16, and every option under aircraft was selected. Everything worked great until I turned on anti-aliasing then my mouse pointer disappeared. Any idea why?

Did some additional tweaking of the graphics settings on the FSX demo where all display settings were maxed, frame rate set to 30, resolution is 1600X900X16, and every option under aircraft was selected. Everything worked great until I turned on anti-aliasing then my mouse pointer disappeared. Any idea why?

Some setting do not need to be max. For example you can leave water at say low 2.x. Max 2.x places much load.

Also road traffic, boat traffic, ferry traffic should be low. 16% for road traffic good for me. Thing like scenery shadow are buggy and always switched off. Also aircraft shadow could go. Same with bloom. FSX maxed out is not always the best.

Some setting do not need to be max. For example you can leave water at say low 2.x. Max 2.x places much load.

Also road traffic, boat traffic, ferry traffic should be low. 16% for road traffic good for me. Thing like scenery shadow are buggy and always switched off. Also aircraft shadow could go. Same with bloom. FSX maxed out is not always the best.

I agree there is no need to max everything. I did it as an exercise to identify any potential problems i would need to plan for before installing the full version. So far the only issue I've found is the mouse pointer disappearing when anti-aliasing is turned on.

So this might sound like a dumb question but is it possible to go through a full engine start-up sequence in FSX? I've been trying to do that in the demo but no luck.

Yes, I don't remember if you can save flights in the demo but in FSX, the easiest way is to load the 172, switch everything off, save the situation and select it as your default flight.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

...FSX maxed out is not always the best.

Agreed..:)

For example I run on 'Dense' autogen scenery setting even though my system can handle the higher 'Very Dense' and 'Extremely Dense' reasonably well, but at those higher settings everything looks too cluttered, so I drop it to 'Dense' which looks just fine AND gives smoother frame rates.

Likewise, I keep my traffic settings (cars/ships etc) at only around 5% to avoid clutter.

For the record this is my system, I'm not a tech expert but it can handle every game and sim I throw at it including FSX, so it must be fairly good-

Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz

RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb

WinXP Home SP3

HannsG 28" widescreen

I disagree, can't even imagine running with no shadows, looks truly awful IMO.

Stiggie, I run with everything maxed, DX10 mode, autogen at normal, all traffic at 30%, no bloom, locked at 30 with no problems..

Find a plane you like in an area you like, start at the bottom and work your way up with the sliders/options till you are heppy.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Yup, aircraft shadows is a must for me, FSX looks silly without them in anything other than an overcast where there is less direct overhead light. Less so with building shadows, because with no penumbra simulation on the lighting capabilities of FSX, the shadowing is too over the top for a building for anything other than a sunset. Aircraft self-shadowing in FSX is a bit ropey, especially around the wing areas next to the fuselage, so I normally knock that off.

I like the traffic too, I always have that on high, even the boats, since they add a lot to certain routes, for example, I fly a lot of UK-European mainlaind flights, and you really notice the shipping when you fly over there for real, even from 35,000 feet you can see large ships on the sea at night in real life. They are also nice to have when flying around places such as Aerosoft's Tahitian Islands add on. With the bloom and improved night lighting that UTX offers, cars at night on the roads is also good to have going on.

For sure knock it all off if that's the only way you can run things at a decent FPS, but if your systm can handle it, then it's good to have all that going on.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes, I don't remember if you can save flights in the demo but in FSX, the easiest way is to load the 172, switch everything off, save the situation and select it as your default flight.

I figured the Demo would be limited so was asking about doing it in the full version. Any recommendations for free twin-engine jets or turbo-prop aircraft with decent functioning cockpits?

Just Flight's Freemium 757? Don't have it so don't know what it's like though. You get the plane and one free livery (BA I think). There's a charge for additional liveries.

Just Flight's Freemium 757? Don't have it so don't know what it's like though. You get the plane and one free livery (BA I think). There's a charge for additional liveries.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for turbo-prop singles or twins? :)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for scenery add-on's (payware or freeware) that are close to or better than MS Flight?