Sign in to follow this  
Chock

A quick fly by of Pro ATC

I hope this ProATC discussion thread hadn't dyed out. Looking forward to reading more of what Al, Jim and others have discovered while wringing-out the program. I bought it after reading many pro and con comments in this thread, and am still enjoying getting acqainted with its features...Would like to know other's discoveries, or criticisms, if they wouldn't mind sharing them...Thanks,

Lee

Guest firehawk44

It's running great for me and I think it's ready for primetime and most will enjoy it. Glad to see you purchased it Lee and enjoying it too. I believe there's another patch coming so we can import the flightplan into the PMDG FMC. That will be nice but I can get around that by modifying the LEGS page of the FMC based on the SID/STAR and runways provided by ProATC. They need to tweak the descent phase too and allow for the import of AIRAC data for the flight planning as we have found a few instances where the ILS frequencies at some airports were wrong. Those can be modified in the Data page of ProATC but it would be nice for everyone to be on the same sheet of music for the sake of our virtual passengers....

Best regards,

Jim

I'm also watching this thread with great anticipation. I'm just about ready to jump on board and even create my own voice pack. It should be fun!

I'm waiting to see if all major issues have been fixed, what voices are available and how many, and is there a tutorial that will make it easier for new users to jump right in and enjoy the new purchase.

Thanks again for sharing.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Me too. Been too busy to try it out lately, will do soon, sounds like it's worth a go.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Jim, I take it you are over at the Pro-ATC forums too? Did you happen to read my question about the PMDG MD11? No one has replied and I'm thinking I may need to send a message directly to MBA. Have you any clue what the problem could be; that I am having?

Edward Smoker Sr.

Hm I really wanta ATC.-addon that can handle sid and stars in a correct manner... hand you a SID/ STAR instead of just allowing you to fly wherever you want...

I cant believe that there isnt a ATC that handles this, that cant be "too hard to implement" ^_^ (I know its not easy but still... there is a lot of functions that must be harder to implement...)...

/Niklas Eriksson

Niklas Eriksson

Jim, for all the work you have done they should give you the product for free.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest firehawk44

Some nice comments for once! Thanks to all. I'm completely satisfied with the product. There is still one major fix that's required and that's importing the AIRAC data into the program and making compatibility with PMDG's 737. Once that fix is released, you'll see a very nice product that is better than the default. When I first installed this product a couple of months ago I was missing waypoints and near the end of the flight I had to turn around and go back to those missed waypoints. Like I said then, it's not ready for prime time. But the developers have been very diligent and have been very responsive to our issues and fixes have been released that makes the product much better. I truly like the background ATC (for the US you're going to have to purchase Ralph Zimmerman's ATC product for around $20 or find your own background ATC)(ATC background for European countries is included). It provides your flight with a little more realism. I think the more users we get for this product, the better it will become. I'm positive it will not please everyone and there have been instances where the company has refunded dissatisfied customers but that's no guarantee. Even if one does not like it now, with future fixes, etc. down the road, they may begin to really like the product. Most FS products require fixes and this product is no exception. I have been flying several flights from KLAX to KSFO and have now included the GSX program and it works very well. You board the passengers with GSX, the startup ProATC and request clearance where you will be given your SID. You can then complete most of the items in the PMDG FMC (except speeds for takeoff as you won't get the runway until you request taxi). You can then request pushback and startup with ProATC. Once cleared, you then pull up GSX and request pushback. During pushback you start the engines and once GSX has completed the pushback you go back to ProATC and request taxi instructions. Once you get the takeoff runway, you can complete the entries in the FMC and you're on your way. At the runway you request clearance for takeoff and, when given, you pull up ProATC and tell the flight attendants to prepare for takeoff. It's absolutely great and a lot of fun.

Clutch Cargo - The developers don't owe me anything. I have really enjoyed beta testing their product and working with Mourad. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Did you happen to read my question about the PMDG MD11? No one has replied and I'm thinking I may need to send a message directly to MBA.

Sorry Ed, I have not seen your post but will take a look. I'm guessing you're have the same problem everyone is having with compatibility with PMDG's aircraft. They are working on getting an AIRAC cycle imported and that should make it very compatible with PMDG's FMC's (and iFly's and others products too!). I don't own the PMDG MD11 so I may not be able to help.

Hm I really wanta ATC.-addon that can handle sid and stars in a correct manner... hand you a SID/ STAR instead of just allowing you to fly wherever you want...

ProATC provides you the SID at the beginning of the flight and you enter that into the FMC. You'll also have to modify or prepare the same flight plan you prepared in ProATC. Once ProATC is loaded, you can see every waypoint in the flight plan. You just need to make sure those entries are in the FMC (if you use a default aircraft, your co-pilot will take you from waypoint to waypoint including tracking the SID/STAR). Once provided the SID/STAR, you must fly that route. You cannot cancel it. ProATC provides the appropriate SID/STAR and runway based on weather and that's how it's done in real life too. So I think you'll be very happy with this program.

is there a tutorial that will make it easier for new users to jump right in and enjoy the new purchase.

Not yet DJ. I have a pretty good scenario above in this post. The program is pretty basic if you have been around FSX for any length of time. I would fly the default b737-800 first just to get a feeling for what the program does. Then move on over to PMDG stuff and FMC's. The co-pilot does everything for default flights (if you want)(you can change this as desired). Even raising the gear once you're at a certain flight level! For flights with PMDG aircraft, he handles the COM/NAV frequencies but that's about it. You'll be responsible for changing course headings, headings, altitudes, speeds, and the rate of going up or the rate of descent. For the default flight you can pretty much hit CTRL-S and look out at the right wing the whole flight! They have an excellent help program and you can download that before even purchasing the product. Just make sure you select really nasty weather and see what your co-pilot can do! Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim

ProATC provides you the SID at the beginning of the flight and you enter that into the FMC. You'll also have to modify or prepare the same flight plan you prepared in ProATC. Once ProATC is loaded, you can see every waypoint in the flight plan. You just need to make sure those entries are in the FMC (if you use a default aircraft, your co-pilot will take you from waypoint to waypoint including tracking the SID/STAR). Once provided the SID/STAR, you must fly that route. You cannot cancel it. ProATC provides the appropriate SID/STAR and runway based on weather and that's how it's done in real life too. So I think you'll be very happy with this program.

Does PROatc actually TELL you what star and sid to fly? that is...I am "so advanced" so i fly "real routes" with sids and stars and only use fmc airplanes... I want an atc that gives a correct clearance containing sid and stars,... and not just "force me to fly the waypoints...

I hope you understand what i mean:)

Niklas Eriksson

Guest firehawk44

I forgot to add that you will get English background ATC in the US if you don't get some background ATC sounds installed (you can disable background ATC so that might not be a problem).

Best regards,

Jim

Does PROatc actually TELL you what star and sid to fly? that is...I am "so advanced" so i fly "real routes" with sids and stars and only use fmc airplanes... I want an atc that gives a correct clearance containing sid and stars,... and not just "force me to fly the waypoints...

I hope you understand what i mean:)

You are definitely given real SID/STARS to fly. If you look at the moving map portion of ProATC you'll see each waypoint in that SID/STAR. For PMDG FMC's, once ProATC provides the SID or STAR, you just go up into the DEP/ARR page and enter the approriate SID/STAR. Right now, while a fix is being found, you must deselect 'assign waypoints of SIDs/STARs/Airways'. That option is even more realistic as ATC provides the STAR and your co-pilot or FMC automatically flies it down to the glideslope.

Best regards,

Jim

You are definitely given real SID/STARS to fly. If you look at the moving map portion of ProATC you'll see each waypoint in that SID/STAR. For PMDG FMC's, once ProATC provides the SID or STAR, you just go up into the DEP/ARR page and enter the approriate SID/STAR. Right now, while a fix is being found, you must deselect 'assign waypoints of SIDs/STARs/Airways'. That option is even more realistic as ATC provides the STAR and your co-pilot or FMC automatically flies it down to the glideslope.

Best regards,

Jim

Sorry that i keep asking, but its a lot of money if im not sure... Does the atc voice say "cleared moxam1s arrival for rwy 21" for example? or is it just visible what waypoints you have to fly?... :)

Niklas Eriksson

Guest firehawk44

It says cleared for moxam1s STAR for runway 21. At the last waypoint, it will then give you the ILS frequency, tell you to reduce your speed, and you can tell your flight attendants to prepare for landing. Now that's with the 'assign waypoints of SIDs/STARs/Airways' disabled as I stated above. If you have that option enabled, ATC will tell you every waypoint all the way from Point A to Point B and that was one of the issues me and Michael (above) brought up with ProATC. The fix was to disable assigning waypoints. They said on their website they are trying to find a fix for that option enabled.

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim

Glad this ATC program is working for you now.

Does ProATC talk to your Ai en-route or is it all canned chatter.

I always turned off the canned chatter in RC as it gets repetitive at times, but I do like ATC to talk to Ai around me, PFE is very good in this regard.

Guest firehawk44

Canned chatter. Now you can turn on the default ATC sounds (I turned the sound off as it was interfering with my background chatter and that was way, way, way too much). The default ATC program will see other aircraft and provide warnings to other aircraft and even identify your aircraft during the exchanges. Just don't select any default ATC options....

Best regards,

Jim

Hello jim,

That a shame really as I do not like the canned chatter and turning on the default ATC sounds would not work as I only fly in Europe, The american accents feel out out of place somehow.

Maybe Mourad will implement interaction with Ai as it is nice to have those airline names called out as you see them flying close by.

On the product page it says that Ai is detected so he should be able to add this feature.

I guess i am spoilt by PFE, when I cross the channel into French airspace it is great to hear a French controller and to hear the accents change as I fly across the continent.

Does ProATC implement different transition altitudes based on countries or is it similar to the default 18000 ft everywhere ?.

I am almost tempted to reinstall FS9 in order to see if the FS9 version had these features, memory fails me as it is so long since I used FScom but I do remember it was very full featured, the speech recognition worked really well, even though it was using the older SAPI 4 engine.

I will definitely keep a close eye on this one as Radar Contact is on the back burner for a year minimum and Dave March seems to have finished with PFE updates.