Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

AS2012 or Essentials?

Could anyone elaborate on the injection issues that Essential is having? I only just started using it and the only thing I noticed compared to the previous version was that when flying over the Atlantic I had absolutely no wind in certain areas, where in the previous REX version I've had very violent winds that rocked my plane from left to right.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

brucewtb, on 17 July 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

OK thanks for that. So this is for FSX even though the install readme says it is for FS2004 - this is what had me confused.

if you downloaded the HDE v2, Photo Realistic Texture Pack (second link for me) then you are good to go

Just make sure if you want to use the sky colors, you dont use the ones in the second link. The sky textures need to be from the 1st link.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just make sure if you want to use the sky colors, you dont use the ones in the second link. The sky textures need to be from the 1st link.

but when i use only the second link the sky textures are in there aswell. Are the one in the first link different?

but when i use only the second link the sky textures are in there aswell. Are the one in the first link different?

Yes, the sky textures in the 1st link are remastered to work in FSX. The ones in the 2nd link are for FS9 and can crash the sim if used. If I remember right the FS9 ones are 24bit and the FSX ones are 32bit. According to the readme in the 1st link, the FS9 sky textures being 24bit, FSX can't read them and sometimes the sim might not even start, hence the 32bit ones are required from the 1st link. Everything else in the 2nd link should work ok in FSX besides the sky textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did you try REX-E yet, Mario? The update is free, hence my question

Sorry CoolP, I took a while to respond; moved in a new house and buit anew FSX rig.

Didn't try REX Essential, yet. Any positive comments?

No problem. Well, in the meantime they've released the improved version of Essential, called Essential Plus. It grew to be my main weather engine, so I'm actually very happy with the results. Since it's a free update for REX customers, it's worth a try.

No problem. Well, in the meantime they've released the improved version of Essential, called Essential Plus. It grew to be my main weather engine, so I'm actually very happy with the results. Since it's a free update for REX customers, it's worth a try.

I have used every version of rex weather including the latest rex+OD, and stutters heavily during weather update. Rex essential still worked better on my PC than the rex+ essential etc.

So back to As2012 SP2 for weather , rex for textures. Smooth as ever.

I have come to conclusion As2012 is good at engineering and Rex is good in artistry, these 2 should team up an save us some money from having to buy both products.

Just purchased and installed REX Essentials Plus.

Removed AS2012 and FEX.

Much nicer textures like sunsets (no more AS purpke sunsets).

Fabulous airport/lighting graphics, an improvement on AS2012 graphics.

The haze and tonal values are incedible! Not crazy about the tones/contrasts of Rex clouds.

Also lots of clouds popping in and out and sudden haze/fog appearing and vanishing.

Im working on the teaks etc...

I just re-installed FEX again cause their HD clouds blow away all the competition-imho!

Works real great with REX as it did with AS2012. Now I have it all and so smooth!

May install AS again for the better weather injections.

Oh yea...a tip in REX;

After you find your ideal water textures, install them into FSX. Next time uncheck the tropical and water textures in the instal options of REX.

Thereafter this will only install the airport graphics and clouds etc...(i use FEX clouds so its even less),

and will install real fast (about 30 seconds)!

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.