Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

AS2012 or Essentials?

An interesting thread as I have been attempting to compare REXE and AS2012. While REXE is a step up and the textures look great I am finding little things that are keeping me with AS2012 for weather. Like it takes the best part of 12 minutes to load and interpolate weather - all done in less than two minutes with AS2012. I have issues with the flight planner that the REX people are looking into and one thing that AS2012 has that I haven't found in REXE is advanced interpolation so that you can get weather for stations that haven't got reports. With REXE you just get a list of nearest stations with metars. I also prefer the AS2012 UI. Now one thing I would like to know is which of the three weather modes offered by AS2012 is closest to the way REXE does things?

Finally, I may have missed something here, but HDEv2 appears to be for FS9.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

An interesting thread as I have been attempting to compare REXE and AS2012. While REXE is a step up and the textures look great I am finding little things that are keeping me with AS2012 for weather. Like it takes the best part of 12 minutes to load and interpolate weather - all done in less than two minutes with AS2012. I have issues with the flight planner that the REX people are looking into and one thing that AS2012 has that I haven't found in REXE is advanced interpolation so that you can get weather for stations that haven't got reports. With REXE you just get a list of nearest stations with metars. I also prefer the AS2012 UI. Now one thing I would like to know is which of the three weather modes offered by AS2012 is closest to the way REXE does things?

Finally, I may have missed something here, but HDEv2 appears to be for FS9.

Bruceb

The top link on there site is for fsx. I got rex and as2012 but i use the HDE clouds.

I must say i am very pleased with them.

Greetings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12 minutes to download and interpolate weather isn't the norm. REXe is faster than that for me. And don't forget, you can click fly before interpolation is finished. By the time you've set up your flight it should be done.

The service pack for REXe is in the works chaps, it should fix many of your issues.

Very rarely does software perform perfectly without a service pack or two.

Martin is correct, 12 minutes sounds very long. Looking into the REX forums, it seems like, with the current build, the cause for the too long waiting times lies within the growth of the rex.mdb file. That's a database file and one can optimize it with MS Access, repair and compress. That's a workaround of course and only possible if MS Access is installed.

The devs already stated that SP1 will offer a solution to that problem and will also not be in need of MS Access, which makes sense. ^_^

Once the rex.mdb is back in shape, the loading times will improve a lot and I don't see huge differences to e.g. starting up ASE on my networked PC, being an older system.

Now one thing I would like to know is which of the three weather modes offered by AS2012 is closest to the way REXE does things?

If AS2012 has the same mode options as ASE, the standard mode may be closest. DWC works around some issues with e.g injecting weather into FSX and that cloud smoothing thingy is a thing I actually never ran for longer than a few minutes.

one thing that AS2012 has that I haven't found in REXE is advanced interpolation so that you can get weather for stations that haven't got reports.

rexe.jpg

I've highlighted the option for you.

The top link on there site is for fsx. I got rex and as2012 but i use the HDE clouds.

I must say i am very pleased with them.

Greetings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to be a pain with this but I am still struggling to find an FSX version of the HDE cloud set - Google has failed me as all the links seem to lead to the FS9 version. Grateful if some kind person coukld provide the correct link for FSX.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi Bruce.

This is the link:

http://simviation.co...rds=HDE&x=0&y=0

Make sure you use the FSX set.

when you click the link you will see 3 download links.

Only the 3rd (so bottom one) is for FS2004

i would take the second link becouse then you got the clouds aswell. the first link is only the sky textures.

When you downloaded the files there is a readmy file included so no worriers there for the install.

greetings

when you click the link you will see 3 download links.

Only the 3rd (so bottom one) is for FS2004

i would take the second link becouse then you got the clouds aswell. the first link is only the sky textures.

When you downloaded the files there is a readmy file included so no worriers there for the install.

greetings

OK thanks for that. So this is for FSX even though the install readme says it is for FS2004 - this is what had me confused.

Also an update on REXE - I am now finding that weather loading and interpolation is much faster so they must have addressed this problem. On the other hand, even with REXE interpolation enabled, I still only get a list of nearby weather stations for an airport without a metar eg YSCO or my local airport YMER. In AS2012 you get what amounts to a weighted average metar with the text RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATION added for an airports such as YSCO or YMER that aren't reporting weather data

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Question about Essentials:

I notice most metars don't report visibility beyond a certain distance depending on the country. Does this mean you will only ever get visibility extending this far (20sm)? I've never seen unlimited visibility in REXE.

OK thanks for that. So this is for FSX even though the install readme says it is for FS2004 - this is what had me confused.

if you downloaded the HDE v2, Photo Realistic Texture Pack (second link for me) then you are good to go :P

Question about Essentials:

I notice most metars don't report visibility beyond a certain distance depending on the country. Does this mean you will only ever get visibility extending this far (20sm)? I've never seen unlimited visibility in REXE.

i think that is becouse the human eye cant see unlimited? dunno just a guess on that

greetings

Can't comment on REX since we that have OD version still can upgrade to REXE. :Sigh:

So, I recommend AS2012, it's excellent, some textures are even better than REX, people just need to give them a chance.. in ASE times I also used ASE for weather and REX for textures.. because ASE didn't have any textures! But AS2012 does have them and they are great! I don't have any problems using AS2012 with S-turns, pauses, wrong winds aloft, long time to inject weather,.. and other things REXE users are reporting.

Think that both addons causes s turn depending on the settings you have go check out the pmdg forum there are a few users that have as012 are reporting tat and s turns so it not only the rex users reporting

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Think that both addons causes s turn depending on the settings you have go check out the pmdg forum there are a few users that have as012 are reporting tat and s turns so it not only the rex users reporting

I'm not experiencing any S-turns in DWC mode.

In fsuipc... tick the suppress turbulence box. You will still get reasonable turbulence, but no s-turns.

No need to do anything, I have the freeware fsuipc. And everything else regarding activesky and fsx are default. S-turns stopped happening for me after one of the 4.8 releases of fsuipc.