Sign in to follow this  
Wendall

One last Legacy topic...

I've never even heard voice warnings... how did you get that?

I have no idea. I looked around trying to turn it off. Drive me nuts, way worse than a '_itchin_Betty'

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I think the TAWS feature only comes with the unlimited pack. While it s very nice at first, I've experienced the same as Ray. Seems like the trajectory prediction sometimes gets upset and renders a default and slow 3 degree approach to something needing constant warnings even in very flat surroundings.

You can alter the volume and things, but I later just turned it off.

In the RXPGNS.ini, there's a line Taws=On. Set it to off and the unit is silent but will still show the warning text message and the terrain view. You can also do this in the RXP config tool of course. Your buzz word is TAWS (terrain awareness and warning system).

If you want to get rid of the yellow text message (Terrain Advisory, Terrain ahead, Too low - Terrain), go to the terrain page, press menu and chose 'inhibit terrain'. The terrain view is still there, but the warning is suppressed. You will also see a notifier 'TER INHB' stating that the terrain warning feature is inhibited.

Thanks buddy. You may have saved what little sanity I have left.

Ray

In the RXPGNS.ini, there's a line Taws=On. Set it to off and the unit is silent but will still show the warning text message and the terrain view. You can also do this in the RXP config tool of course. Your buzz word is TAWS (terrain awareness and warning system).

:blush:

Do I have to change the Taws=Off for every RXPGNS.ini for each aircraft?

Ray

Do I have to change the Taws=Off for every RXPGNS.ini for each aircraft?

if you are on windows you can automate that. for example with the brilliant freeware text-editor notepad++. in this example you would just select "find in files" from the search menu, choose your simobjects folder, set the filter to RXPGNS.ini. set "find what" to TAWS=ON and "replace with" to TAWS=OFF :). this wonderful option helps alot when you edit various config files or want to sort out your aircraft configs :)

ontopic curve: hows the memory footprint of the legacy... i am on a pretty low-end FSX system, i can enjoy orbx PNW with my favorite aircraft (dodosim 206, real air scout, accusim cub, carenado 185 bush) but when an aircraft has much above 100MB textures, it will greatly decrease my performance and increase blurries.

if you are on windows you can automate that. for example with the brilliant freeware text-editor notepad++. in this example you would just select "find in files" from the search menu, choose your simobjects folder, set the filter to RXPGNS.ini. set "find what" to TAWS=ON and "replace with" to TAWS=OFF :). this wonderful option helps alot when you edit various config files or want to sort out your aircraft configs :)

ontopic curve: hows the memory footprint of the legacy... i am on a pretty low-end FSX system, i can enjoy orbx PNW with my favorite aircraft (dodosim 206, real air scout, accusim cub, carenado 185 bush) but when an aircraft has much above 100MB textures, it will greatly decrease my performance and increase blurries.

Thanks. I will download the enchanced notepad. It turns out that I did not have the Taws=On in the ini file, but when I added the Taws=Off line it fixed the problem for me, but just for that one add on.

Ray

Stating this because I thought it was impossible until Bert came up with a solution.

I agree, Cool..I would love to see it, but these were the things that were told on the RXP board..of course. and as you so correctly point out; things change :smile: I would love to see full integration and an end to the (nearly) useless default FSX unit

I've never even heard voice warnings... how did you get that?

Turn on TAWS and fly too low :Big Grin:

hows the memory footprint of the legacy

Very good performance. No noticeable lowering as compared to default planes..

And as for the TAWS slightly batty warnings..they seem to be coupled to your VSI..so, if you are diving/descending in low terrain you'll get a warning (I think)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I think there is some sort of template feature in the RXP tool, but that would included all settings of course, which isn't what you aim for.

Don't laugh, I've added that Taws=Off to all my RXP planes manually. Well, you do this once and then save the inis in your backup. But a nice idea with the notepad++. Makes sense and I didn't know it was that easy.

ontopic curve: hows the memory footprint of the legacy... when an aircraft has much above 100MB textures, it will greatly decrease my performance and increase blurries.

They offer three presets on the model detail. While I'd say that the lowest one (made for multiplayer) will surely help reducing the impact, I couldn't tell if it stays below that 100mb limit your yours.

On the highest setting, she takes a bit more than the average GA rendition. So she's within the regime of the previous releases in my eyes, the Dukes namely.

Well, if I sum up the sheer texture size of the basic textures, the one for the VC and the one for the livery in place, I end up at 105mb. Don't know if that helps, but it looks promising, right?

I agree, Cool..I would love to see it, but these were the things that were told on the RXP board..of course. and as you so correctly point out; things change :smile:

Fully agreed.

And, no - you get terrain mapping with standard RXP GNS, you just don't get some of the extra bits in it..I think the TAWS (warnings etc) ARE a part of unlimited (I didn't have the "don't sink" warnings, but I did have "terrain - terrain!!" before I had the unlimited)..But unlimited gives you TCAS too :Big Grin:

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Thanks. I will download the enchanced notepad. It turns out that I did not have the Taws=On in the ini file, but when I added the Taws=Off line it fixed the problem for me, but just for that one add on.

Ray

ah. i made an error. i don't own rxp, i just assumed the ini files reside maybe in each aircrafts simobjects folder. so if those files are somewhere else just change the directory if you try this method. :)

hmmmmm. i really can't decide, i love my taildraggers but i feel like i could use a more modern GA for my hangar. decisions decisions...

EDIT: thanks for the infos CoolP. it does sounds good that they offer different detail level models. my "100mb rule" is more or less just guesswork. i just noticed on my system that the more memory the airplane textures use up, the more and faster ground blurries i get :)

i love the scout pack (it even gets more flight time now than my precious accusim cub) so real air already earned my trust :)

i really can't decide,

Do it, Pete. You really won't regret it..It's fast, compared to (most) taildraggers, though...How about the VANS RV-7A? (wrong thread, I know :wink: )

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

But unlimited gives you TCAS too :Big Grin:

Haha, with the unlimited pack, you've entered the nerdy sim regime for sure. Well, me too. :blush: That's not because some of the features and abilities are useless, they are not, but because they came in at a very steep.. angle and you've caught them. :lol:

If you want to get rid of the yellow text message (Terrain Advisory, Terrain ahead, Too low - Terrain), go to the terrain page, press menu and chose 'inhibit terrain'. The terrain view is still there, but the warning is suppressed. You will also see a notifier 'TER INHB' stating that the terrain warning feature is inhibited.

I knew that (luckily :wink: ) but since so many interesting tricks are being shared here: is there also a way to turn that function off by default? I like to fly low and slow and so I am often flying 'in the yellow': this means I have to turn of the terrain option every single time I start a flight. I would love not having to do that!

Good question. I wondered too. But, from my knowledge, it defaults to being on again when you power them up. Maybe the other guys know something. I can't find anything in the ini or the RXP tool sounding like it.

Well, it isn't a big deal. It's not that I have so much buttons to push as I would in the 737NGX... so I should be happy that I've got something to do... :wink:

I think this is a Garmin function (not RXP).

From a safety point of view, I could see that it should be ON when you power

up the GNS unit.

The pilot can override it - but this should be a conscious decision.

Bert