Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

Aivlasoft Charts

DanW, I suggest printing pdfs and using a tabbed reader like PDF-xchange viewer. I find it easier to deal with it.

EFB's great thing is ground tracking and the moving map in my opinion, like a prettier Fscommander. (Fscommander is almost the same btw, all the sid, approach infos are there exactly like efb.)

Not happy really, I know it's not Aivlasofts fault, but if 3 of the 4 airports I pick are not fully mapped out there's not much point.

In my experience Navigraph's coverage of Australia and New Zealand is quite poor - fortunately procedure charts are readily available from Airservices Australia.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yeah the airservices charts are good, and the VATPAC pilot assist portal is also very useful for organising an Aussie flight and all the charts.. If I had an iPad I'd use ozRunways for my home country flights.

I was looking at folders/sleeves etc online, but I found in officeworks I picked up 3 A5 folders, 200 plastic sleeves, 1000 A5 pages, and some markers all for under $60 :) I'll get my kneeboard out of the car and use that with these charts.

I might even print an A5 set of aircraft and FS2crew checklists. Then I could really go fullscreen all the way and get an extra 5-10 FPS out of FSX.

I have an Obutto cockpit squeezed in a corner, there's no room to mount a laptop arm or table. I could fit an iPad but not a laptop.

I have my wife's laptop I can steal occasionally. But it would be literally on my lap, can't use the controls then..

I'll get PDF-XChange and give the tabbed viewer a go. Maybe just on my second screen and will stay windowed mode for many flights.

If I can at least print my favorite airports though it will be very good. Paper will build up quickly though

EFB's great thing is ground tracking and the moving map in my opinion, like a prettier Fscommander. (Fscommander is almost the same btw, all the sid, approach infos are there exactly like efb.)

Hello

FScommander actually offers a few things that EFB does not such as MSA's and for the VFR folks control zone violation checking.

I tries the demo and while it does look nice and the automated features are nice, I could not find anything that justified the cost over what I already had with FSCommander and my charts.

FScommander actually offers a few things that EFB does not such as MSA's

So does EFB they are printed all over the maps.

MSA.jpg

Cheers, Andy.

Hello Andy

Thanks for pointing that out, it does raise an issue with FSCommander in that FSC seems to be displaying MSA in miles rather than feet, when it started this behaviour I have no idea.

On your chart the MSA just south of LEIB shows 26 ie 2600ft where FSC shows 49 which is 0.492424 miles rounded down.

I have contacted Volker about this and await his input.

I have an Obutto cockpit squeezed in a corner, there's no room to mount a laptop arm or table. I could fit an iPad but not a laptop.

I have my wife's laptop I can steal occasionally. But it would be literally on my lap, can't use the controls then..

I'll get PDF-XChange and give the tabbed viewer a go. Maybe just on my second screen and will stay windowed mode for many flights.

If I can at least print my favorite airports though it will be very good. Paper will build up quickly though

If you really want to use fullscreen and PDFs then you can use the excellent freeware utility PDFKneeboard. PDFKneeboard is a really simple PDF renderer that will render PDFs in your FS window. You can undock the PDFKneeboard window and move it to your secondary monitor if you like, so you can still stay in fullscreen while you got the charts on the secondary monitor.

The only drawback I see with the PDFKneeboard addon is that it takes a window from FSX, so you cannot use it along with addons that use all the windows available, like Concorde X

pdfkneeboard.JPG

vatsim s3

1133704.png

That looks really good.

Does it have any FPS impact? I suppose not

I wonder if can install it multiple times, or do a window that takes 2 copied of the gauge

Sounds sad but I enjoy the planning and looking up the details. When I'm in cruise I like to tune in various Navaids and check my position etc. I found with the EFB I was watching the map and tuning Navaids but didn't get the same enjoyment.

I think my position being a mystery to solve is part of the fun.

I reckon I'll go down the path of hard copy charts after all. If I only update navigraph every 3 or 6 months then my charts should stay fairly current as long as I don't get too many airports. I already have plenty scenery though for a while.

I think there gets a point where I have too many utils and I just need to do some things the old fashioned way, it's all part of the fun :)

Agreed.. Exactly how I felt when I tried a trail of the EFB... it's a really nice product, but not for me.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB