Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Best Place in the world to live?

I think I have yee all beat, 55 days paid holidays each year, 6 weeks certified sick leave, 3 days uncertified sick leave, only if it extends no longer than one day, otherwise it must be certified. :P

I always wondered about the american system and whether or not if they added more days holiday leave that they'd probably get much greater productivity. 2 weeks a year seems extremely small. In Ireland, it's the same as UK, mandatory 20 days holiday a year, and if made work on a bank holiday you're entitled to double pay.

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

"I always wondered about the american system and whether or not if they added more days holiday leave that they'd probably get much greater productivity." (Ró).

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." (C.Northcote Parkinson).

​During the imposed 3-day week (January & February 1974) in Britain during a miners' strike, productivity apparently fell far less than was thought likely. People simply worked more efficiently during the time available.

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." (C.Northcote Parkinson).

Which was my line of thinking, I mean obviously for some jobs, it's can't, but for most jobs I'd say that productivity, morale, job satisfaction would all increase if an additional 2 weeks holidays were given, and staff turn-over rates would all decrease. Interesting about the coal strikes, any figures on the percentage decrease in coal output when they were working a 2 day week? I'm guessing it's far less than 40% which is what ou would expect production to fall by if you worked 40% less days, so would be quite fascinating to see.

There is probably a limit though as to the amount of holidays you can give before you no longer see any production increase.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I get no days off ever! Cows need to learn self reliance.

I get no days off ever! Cows need to learn self reliance.

I know the feeling, I grew up on a farm, I'm the envy of my brother now who runs the farm... ^_^ He's lucky to get a week away, but usually the neighbours just work the farm for him that week, and he takes care of their land when they go away, the system works well...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I think I have yee all beat, 55 days paid holidays each year, 6 weeks certified sick leave, 3 days uncertified sick leave, only if it extends no longer than one day, otherwise it must be certified. :P

I always wondered about the american system and whether or not if they added more days holiday leave that they'd probably get much greater productivity. 2 weeks a year seems extremely small. In Ireland, it's the same as UK, mandatory 20 days holiday a year, and if made work on a bank holiday you're entitled to double pay.

Regards,

I thought when you added your holiday allowance and the like, you'd beat us all :P

I'm not ever going to start on pay :lol:

I thought when you added your holiday allowance and the like, you'd beat us all :P

I'm not ever going to start on pay :lol:

Muhahahaha!!!! :Big Grin: :Money Eyes:

Keep in mind though, I'm only legally allowed fly 900 hours a year, unions only allow 860, (more under special agreement if necessary). If you say a typical long haul flight lasts 8 hours, then realistically I can only fly about 108 days a year, which explains the quantity of days holiday leave I get... It's not really leave even, as what you're really doing is saying, I won't use my hours now, but I'll use them next week for you instead.... Pay on the other hand, well, there are benefits of working for a legacy carrier... ^_^

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I guess a long hauler makes for a rather long shift - one small advantage of my job is that it's 9 to 530 and that's it. Yes I have worked some OT when needed but 99.9% of the time I know that when that clock hits 530 I'm out of that door!

I guess a long hauler makes for a rather long shift - one small advantage of my job is that it's 9 to 530 and that's it. Yes I have worked some OT when needed but 99.9% of the time I know that when that clock hits 530 I'm out of that door!

Yes, I can appreciate the stability that can afford you, though on the contrary I like my odd work hours, as it let me spend more time with my kids than I think I would have with a 9 to 5. Working 5,2,5,4 roster on SH gave me a lot of week days off, which meant that my kids had a lot more contact with at least one of their parents than most kids with two working parents would have. And if you were working early's you'd have the afternoon to spend with the kids up until their bed time, which would coincidentally be similar to my bed time. With long haul and the 2,2,2,4 roster, again, you get a lot of time off to spend with family, even if it invariably means that whenever anything happens back home like a child getting sick or the emersion heater breaking, luck would have it you were 4,000 miles away... :rolleyes: I guess all I'm saying is that there are lots of different work schedules, all of which have both their advantages and disadvantages...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Very true - now having a 5 month old baby boy I can appreciate how those shifts can benefit you. He goes to bed about 7pm and I have an hour commute each way so I see him very little during the week - 10 minutes or so in the morning and a short time in the evening before he goes to bed, and even then I can't play with him or stimulate him too much as he's about to go to sleep. If I am doing the shopping or going to the gym after work as I do 2 nights a week I'll not see him at all when I get back :mellow:

Very true - now having a 5 month old baby boy I can appreciate how those shifts can benefit you. He goes to bed about 7pm and I have an hour commute each way so I see him very little during the week - 10 minutes or so in the morning and a short time in the evening before he goes to bed, and even then I can't play with him or stimulate him too much as he's about to go to sleep. If I am doing the shopping or going to the gym after work as I do 2 nights a week I'll not see him at all when I get back :mellow:

Yeh, that must be tough. I remember when I had my first son, I was just promoted to FO on the 330 fleet, which meant a quiet hotel room to catch up on sleep while the wife was stuck at home waking up at 2 am and 5 am to feed him. I certainly wasn't complaining then... ^_^

I wonder what maternity/paternity leave is given in other countries and whether you're legally entitled to it or not, another aspect to compare countries by for standard of living.

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

We'll leave that open to our overseas members then! I took 2 weeks paternity followed by 2 weeks holiday to get a good amount of time when he arrived.

It is hard but sometimes there are advantages - he was seriously hard work to begin with (and I mean seriously, me and the better half agreed it has been the hardest 4 months of our lives as he had silent reflux and lactose intolerance) and it meant I got a break from it (whether I wanted it or not). She just had to keep going with it, something I probably wouldn't have been able to do. Even now he has settled down on lactose free formula he can still be very hard work as he now seems to be frustrated as his mind is ahead of what his body is capable of. When he's not grumpy he is great though :lol:

I have a four year old son and a six year old daughter. I stayed six weeks home with each kid and my wife 9 months (paid leave). That is in Finland, in Sweden they have even better system not to mention Iceland where, if I recall correctly, each parent can stay home six months each and then they can divide another 6 months between them.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I have a four year old son and a six year old daughter. I stayed six weeks home with each kid and my wife 9 months (paid leave). That is in Finland, in Sweden they have even better system not to mention Iceland where, if I recall correctly, each parent can stay home six months each and then they can divide another 6 months between them.

Ahhh so that's how they got into financial bankruptcy !

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Ahhh so that's how they got into financial bankruptcy !

Depends if it's mandated as full pay or not. Let's not forget we get 9 months paid here (which you can now take as the father as well), it's just that it's statutory, which is not very much!