Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Best Place in the world to live?

Matt,

Thanks for your comment. I remember going to Expo '67 when I was a kid. I lived in Cleveland, Ohio then.

Here is the current image of where I live now, Salida, Colorado. This is the webcam at Harriet Alexander Field (BTW- Salida is poorly represented in FSX).

http://www.airportvi...rrent_image.jpg

Bill

Wow, that's so close. And is it that they want independence, or to be under French rule? Just opposed to the Queen of Britain being their head of state?

It is a soverignty movement within Quebec. You have to consider that Quebec used to be New France before Canada. New France fell to the British Empire and became a part of Canada with the Quebec Act. Their will always be a movement within Quebec that would prefer independence. This goes back for centuries now.

Another bit is history for ya....Charles De Gaule wasn't the first to meddle in Quebec Affairs. The USA Tried to invade Quebec back in 1775 during the American Revolution. The thought was if the USA could take millitary control of Quebec then they could convince french speaking Canadians to join the 13 colonies....The invasion of Quebec ended as a disaster for the Americans, too cold and desolote a place for their army at the time (kind of like invading Russia):

http://en.wikipedia....of_Canada_(1775)

Matthew Kane

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. What do they think they stand to gain from independence, is it just an image thing, or is there something else behind it?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. What do they think they stand to gain from independence, is it just an image thing, or is there something else behind it?

I am neutral on the issue as it is for Quebec to decide. Only real issue is if they do seperate then will they be financially sustainable on their own??? They risk losing Currency, Millitary, Banks, Corporations, border agents, etc that so many things they would need to establish on their own.

Another issue is with Native Rights in Quebec. Natives may decide to stay in Canada regardless, and they are first nation people. So Quebec risks losing reserves of land to Canada or otherwise.

As things stand right now another referendum is being stalled. They will only call one if they are sure they have a good chance to win.

Matthew Kane

...French doesn't use an apostrophe. It's probably a good idea (as a reminder of a people's national/racial heritage) but possibly a bit superficial.

One problem as you can imagine is there isn't a single Quebec "national/racial heritage". At its worst it's not about promoting French, but working to eliminate everything but French. The region has always been a point of immigration. Quebec has an important anglophone history too. One solution might be sovereignty for now. One day Quebec may even choose to negotiate back into Canadian Confederation on mutual terms.

To say it is one of the most isolated places on the planet... talk about hyperbole... those kinds of statements indicate you have never been there.

Sometimes pictures are better:

image1jnz.jpg

Then again, it's close to water.

Sometimes pictures are better:

yeah especially for kids... glad it works for you. :Peace:

yeah especially for kids... glad it works for you.

LOL... Touche!

Funny banter aside, Hawaii is a gem for sure. The next island I'd love to visit would be Easter Island.

The next island I'd love to visit would be Easter Island.

I think that would be cool...

Also I hope to visit Rarotonga in the Cook Islands for a few weeks... sometime... SOH (sim outhouse) had an event / race for airliners of the '50s a couple years back (named Evita)... that was one stop I used enroute from Australia to Argentina (Buenos Aires?)

That Google Earth image of Hawaii doesn't really show all those Pacific Island Nations south of Hawaii. I could spend years touring around all of those Pacific Islands.

I like Hawaii and have been before. I would easily go back there again to see more.

Matthew Kane

A couple of years back, we went to Big Sky in Montana (USA) to ski. Our flight landed in Bozeman, and we had a pleasant 1-hour bus ride up to the mountain. One thing I remember was the number of airline pilots we met on the chairlifts. It was only 3 or 4, but statistically that's a huge number. Some were vacationing, but some had relocated there after retirement.

I got to thinking. These are real-world pilots who have spent their working lives flying all over the country, and all over the world. And they ended up in Bozeman, Montana.

I can see the attraction, although when all is said and done it would be too remote for me. The weather is pleasant, if you like winter. There's a lot of outdoor things to do, and the air and water are clean. I could certainly think of worse places to be.

You know Montana was one of those places I thought I too could easily move to.. if we ever did move back to the States (my wife is American) - until I read the book Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse:_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed

In it he mentions the polluting run off from mines in the Montana area as posing a big threat to the ecology. - The majority of settlers are out doors people and that sounded fine to me, but many of them are Hunters, Miners and Loggers and he saw a crunch coming as politicians failed (or couldn't) supply funds for clean up of all these Tailings resulting in polluted water supplies, and also the increasing numbers of sports people coming to Montana to hunt and fish has or will result in over hunting and over fishing of the area - very interesting read and pertinent to all of us I think.

We have a similar issue going on here where the Wahi Gold mine has left a large lake full of residual tailings and does not have a plan as far as I know, to deal with the pollution after the economic value of the mining operation ends.