Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Best Place in the world to live?

A free at point of use healthcare system it a lot harder to abuse than the welfare state. I don't see how people would/could do that. Unless I'm missing something.

Over here we give you a small bit of cash each week and they're free to do what they like with it, be it buy food, or pay for heating. It's not much, but you can't exactly abuse it....

Another point though, how could you abuse a healthcare system? It's not like they can walk into the hospital and say, I'd like money please.

Very easy!

My mom works for a surgeon. You would be amazed at the number of people who are addicted to prescription drugs. They refer them to a free counselling program if they come back for more pills. Very few of them take the option and later skip around doctors picking up new prescriptions. They also get money by selling these pills on the street. That is the nice thing about private healthcare, is that they go in to find these people and prosecute and reduce the cost for the rest.

If there was a healthcare system enacted the first thing should be a structure to protect from this theft. Unfortunately it is setup to give services out with no nationwide database system yet.

It's about as abusable as the fire service, and you don't see people calling for that to be privatised? Come to think of it, the two services are fairly similar. It may never happen some people, but it does happen, and when your house is burning down, the last thing you want to hear is, "We'll start putting it out now, once you wire us through the money"

That happens most places if you don't pay your bill. This article is a little more harsh than I would like to see. I would rather them put it out and then give them the bill for costs of putting out the fire.

http://www.msnbc.msn...n/#.UDaJcNb8utY

I'd hate to ask yee about our free third level education...

College is cheap here for people that have less money. We have state and federal grants that reduce the cost to only a $100-500 a quarter dependent on income. The program is called FAFSA.

And full capitalism on the other hand just leads to class society where rich just keep becoming richer and poor becomes poorer.

We are adults now and should know life is not fair. It's seems these people never passed adolescence and think everyone should give stuff to them so we are all equal. Well life doesn't work that way. We all need bosses and people higher than us. It also requires people lower than us that do what some call the dirty work. Heck even the most powerful person in the world, the president, has a boss and that is the voting public. We all have to report to someone.

I've worked my way up from the bottom of this industry to literally shed the proverbial blood, sweat and tears. I worked for years cleaning lavatories, in the baggage pits. Later was out in the snow fueling and towing aircraft. Those were some of the best years though because they gave me an experience and understanding of what real work was like. We need these experiences to help create a more well rounded individual.

Also to the AVSIM moderators, thank you for keeping this open! It has been nice to have a place to converse with people outside of my countries on these issues! :clapping: :biggrin:

Brutal capitalism is not the best economic system either. A degree of some market regulation is not only healthy but necessary. For those who treasure government programs, keep in mind that someone else is paying for your services. Instead of hating the rick, you ought to thank them for what they give you. I am not rich but I do not have contempt for the financially successful class. The U.S. current unemployment rate is 8.5%, twice as high the normal rate. Also, keep in mind that when the government increases taxes on corporations, the corporations will pass the taxes to consumers, thus higher prices. While you may think it is fair that a successful business pay more, always remember that these companies will do everything possible to make a profit even if they have to raise their prices.

Near the start of his book, The Conscious of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater wrote, “every man, for his own good and the good of his society is responsible for his own development. The choices that govern his life are choices that he must make, they cannot be made by any other human being or by a collective group of people.” These were the forces that shape the greatest country in the history of humanity, the United States of America. While the country is far from perfect, I believe that the freedom granted to the “individual” in America will always yield greatest. I put my trust in the individual, not government. The fastest and easiest way to lose you freedom is by granting too much power to the government. “power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

Very easy!

My mom works for a surgeon. You would be amazed at the number of people who are addicted to prescription drugs. They refer them to a free counselling program if they come back for more pills. Very few of them take the option and later skip around doctors picking up new prescriptions. They also get money by selling these pills on the street. That is the nice thing about private healthcare, is that they go in to find these people and prosecute and reduce the cost for the rest.

If there was a healthcare system enacted the first thing should be a structure to protect from this theft. Unfortunately it is setup to give services out with no nationwide database system yet.

Ah, I see, we have a nationwide data base here. We have a scheme here where by pensioners and the unemployed are issued with a thing called a "medical card" which entitles them to free GP visits and medication, everyone else only pays the first €90 on medication a month, and if it goes over that, the state will pick up the tab for the rest, which enables people to go on medication, even if it is expensive. If you want to go to hospital, there is a €50 fee for admittance, unless you have received a doctors note to go into the A&E as a matter of urgency. The national data base is regularly checked for fraud and AFAIK the actual levels of fraud and cheating the system are next to none due to both the checks and a system of reporting done by Doctors and Pharmacists.

That happens most places if you don't pay your bill. This article is a little more harsh than I would like to see. I would rather them put it out and then give them the bill for costs of putting out the fire.

http://www.msnbc.msn...n/#.UDaJcNb8utY

While it is a sad state, I don't think they should have put out the fire, He was dodging the tax, and if you don't want the service then fine, but don't expect others to pay for it. If they let him pay for it on the spot then no one would pay it unless their home went on fire.

I never never knew you guys had to pay individually for your fire services, that just gets taken out of our income tax... An I think it should really, as this case shows, fire fighters shouldn't be an optional extra, no matter what people say, and that's kind of how I feel about health.

College is cheap here for people that have less money. We have state and federal grants that reduce the cost to only a $100-500 a quarter dependent on income. The program is called FAFSA.

I didn't know that, over here we get the impression that you guys have to save for life to go to university, and that yee didn't help your poor get a university education and get out of the poverty trap. Do they have to pay it back once they start earning? Sounds like a reasonable demand...

We are adults now and should know life is not fair. It's seems these people never passed adolescence and think everyone should give stuff to them so we are all equal. Well life doesn't work that way.

I think that's where we differ slightly. While I think it is important that everyone contributes and works, I think there is a certain level below which you should not let your fellow citizens fall as was mentioned in our Presidents speech above. Be that health care or the fire service.

Also to the AVSIM moderators, thank you for keeping this open! It has been nice to have a place to converse with people outside of my countries on these issues! :clapping: :biggrin:

Yes, thanks indeed. It has been nice to gain insight to the views of others in different countries. Personally I though I may have stepped over the line with the video of the debate thing, if not for the politics but for the language involved... :rolleyes: But none the less, it hasn't been removed.... Even though this is totally off the topic of aviation, it's still a nice discussion to have with those of this hobby, who tend to be reasonably well educated...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Brutal capitalism is not the best economic system either. A degree of some market regulation is not only healthy but necessary. For those who treasure government programs, keep in mind that someone else is paying for your services. Instead of hating the rick, you ought to thank them for what they give you.

Just to point out here, I pay far more in tax than I receive back in services, I would be with the top 2% of earners in my country, if not top 1% but I still don't mind giving a decent chunk of that to the state, because I know that should I stupidly stick my arm into the jet engine for some unknown reason and I lose my arm and can't work, the state will pay for my hospital fees, they will send me back to university for free to re-skill, and they'll give me a small amount of money each week to make sure my family doesn't starve until I can get back into the work-force, and then when I'm old and grey and retired (Haha, as if that's ever happening) they'll give me a little pension and provide my hospital and medicine fees for me and that's a security net I like having. So not all of us are saying let's have services just because it's someone else paying for it...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I never never knew you guys had to pay individually for your fire services, that just gets taken out of our income tax... An I think it should really, as this case shows, fire fighters shouldn't be an optional extra, no matter what people say, and that's kind of how I feel about health.

It usually comes out the property taxes. Some places like in rural areas can't pay for it with property tax alone so they pay an extra fee. Much like police service as well. My parents have to pay for rural sheriff coverage since there are no city police.

I didn't know that, over here we get the impression that you guys have to save for life to go to university, and that yee didn't help your poor get a university education and get out of the poverty trap. Do they have to pay it back once they start earning? Sounds like a reasonable demand...

It's a nice scale based on income. It is all grant money so they don't have to pay a cent of it back once they are through.

Hello

Absolutely enjoyed reading and participating in this thread, I could really enjoy sitting around having a beer or two with you guys.

Anyone who loves paying higher taxes is welcome to pay my taxes. Anyone interested please ping me and I'll let you know how much I owe. You can then contact the Internal Revenue Services and tell them you're paying the taxes for Huascar Lopez.

Anyone who loves paying higher taxes is welcome to pay my taxes. Anyone interested please ping me and I'll let you know how much I owe. You can then contact the Internal Revenue Services and tell them you're paying the taxes for Huascar Lopez.

Haha.

The worst was when I had my own business and I had to pay both the employer and the employee taxes. Now that sucked! After it was all said and done it was about 30%

Wow, you sure seem to have done it all... :Applause:

Here is my little website: http://ctmaeroservices.com/ Been busy with the airline life so it has become a bit neglected.

I wish I could have my own cattle ranch and learn to be an aeronautical engineer but I don't think I will have time for that with the little one on the way.

Ranching tis the life.

You are teasing me!

I am in Houston right now for sim training and I have to say I am enjoying the selection of steak places to eat!

LOL Hoiston isnt Texas everyone knows that's where we exile all the dang Yankees to! I kid of course.