Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Best Place in the world to live?

Oh thanks for reminding me ytzpilot about the days off! OMG, because we were working in a foreign country we would abide to their holidays. So between the national holidays, the local holidays, sick days, one personal day off per month I had between 6-8 weeks off per year. And because I was on a special work visa we could only stay in the country six months at a time. Which meant I had to go back to the US for six weeks before I would return.

I was so bored at first with all this time off I didn't know what to do... no tv (that I could really understand), no stores open when I wanted. I was here with Europe at my feet and what was I doing... working weekend's! (typical fool Yank). I finally wised up, got a German girlfriend and TRAVELED! France, Belgium, Netherlands, Eastern Europe, skiing the Alps, Octoberfest in Munich, Paris, etc., etc.

But I do have to admit we did get homesick for hamburgers and good Mexican food. We threw a Cinco de Mayo party for our German cohorts, making them Margaritas, flying them in Guacamole and authentic tacos as workers returned from the states. Good times.

To the simmer who asked if I was a network planner, no I was more in mid management at the time training German cell-site test teams but I did work side-by-side with network engineering. Was contracted to work with D2. I worked for a company call LCC, International. We used our own software so maybe your were a competitor? Small start up when I came on board with 50 employees. We hired a new person on average every day for the next five years straight.... back when cellular was exploding. Great way to see the world.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

To the simmer who asked if I was a network planner, no I was more in mid management at the time training German cell-site test teams but I did work side-by-side with network engineering. Was contracted to work with D2. I worked for a company call LCC, International. We used our own software so maybe your were a competitor? Small start up when I came on board with 50 employees. We hired a new person on average every day for the next five years straight.... back when cellular was exploding. Great way to see the world.

Yeah depends on when you were doing the planning - sounds like it was probably before I started work for them (in 2000) as cellular had taken off and we were busy writing 3G planning technology. Interesting industry to work in though, and yes a good way to see the world if you were in the consulting side of the business - one of my housemates was he was always off to far flung places in the world, working on planning projects. Us mere software engineers stayed put in the UK though :rolleyes:

Muhahahaha!!!! :Big Grin: :Money Eyes:

Keep in mind though, I'm only legally allowed fly 900 hours a year, unions only allow 860, (more under special agreement if necessary). If you say a typical long haul flight lasts 8 hours, then realistically I can only fly about 108 days a year, which explains the quantity of days holiday leave I get... It's not really leave even, as what you're really doing is saying, I won't use my hours now, but I'll use them next week for you instead.... Pay on the other hand, well, there are benefits of working for a legacy carrier... ^_^

Regards,

Ró.

I have such a hard time explaining this to people that don't realize we don't get paid for all the time we are at the airport and we are only allowed a maximum of 100 hours a month and 1,000 a year. They look and see the pay scales and try to equate it to the hours they work. They think I am making $200,000 when you apply it to our work rules I am only making $28,000 in probation. Next year that will double so I won't be too sad.

I have such a hard time explaining this to people that don't realize we don't get paid for all the time we are at the airport and we are only allowed a maximum of 100 hours a month and 1,000 a year. They look and see the pay scales and try to equate it to the hours they work. They think I am making $200,000 when you apply it to our work rules I am only making $28,000 in probation. Next year that will double so I won't be too sad.

Double, wow, that's some increase, getting your command? :Applause:

I'm paid a set annual wage in addition to sector and performance pay, so technically I think I do get paid for time in airport, but I think that's becoming more and more the exception nowadays... I know what you're talking about when your friends always look on in disgust when I tell them I'm only allowed work 900 hours a year, and then they work backwards to find my hourly wage...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

They also think it is a dream to be travelling for free wherever I want. In reality I am spending 24 hours a month flying between the islands and the mainland.

They also think it is a dream to be travelling for free wherever I want. In reality I am spending 24 hours a month flying between the islands and the mainland.

No staff travel? :huh:

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

No staff travel? :huh:

What's staff travel?

If you mean a paid seat, then yes we get that for when we are deadheading to an airplane or going to sim training. If it is our own personal travel then we jumpseat with CASS to get around.

My home is about 2,500 miles away so I commute a couple times a month with CASS.

What's staff travel?

If you mean a paid seat, then yes we get that for when we are deadheading to an airplane or going to sim training. If it is our own personal travel then we jumpseat with CASS to get around.

My home is about 2,500 miles away so I commute a couple times a month with CASS.

I see, we at EIN we get to nominate 6 people (we have to nominate ourselves) and then they get 3 free flights a year in the PAX cabin, after that there's standby travel whereby if there's a free seat left over you can take it, or else you have to pay the full price for the seat. We can jumpseat as much as we like provided the space is available. If the company is sending us somewhere for training say, then we usually get a cabin seat if available and fly there, or we could have a seat with one of our codeshare partners bought for us, or if no codeshare partner available, then a competing airline. Or once I got to go on the company jet! ^_^ Does your family get travel like that as part of your employment package?

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I see, we at EIN we get to nominate 6 people (we have to nominate ourselves) and then they get 3 free flights a year in the PAX cabin, after that there's standby travel whereby if there's a free seat left over you can take it, or else you have to pay the full price for the seat. We can jumpseat as much as we like provided the space is available. If the company is sending us somewhere for training say, then we usually get a cabin seat if available and fly there, or we could have a seat with one of our codeshare partners bought for us, or if no codeshare partner available, then a competing airline. Or once I got to go on the company jet! ^_^ Does your family get travel like that as part of your employment package?

Regards,

Oh I see. Yeah we have benefits like that as well. I think we have 60 partner airlines that my parents, wife and soon to be kid can fly on. I also get what they call pilot passes which I can give to anyone I want and they can fly on our airline for free. For being such a small airline (down to 3 planes now), we still have some pretty good benefits.

Wow, yeh, they are great benefits. And there was me thinking our travel benefits were excessive... :shok: Congrats on the soon to be kid, due soon? :wink:

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

It is going to be due March 29th. And I though waiting for a checkride was nerve wracking!

It is going to be due March 29th. And I though waiting for a checkride was nerve wracking!

This video seems appropriate right about now... :lol: You've this all ahead of you... :mellow:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

This video seems appropriate right about now... :lol: You've this all ahead of you... :mellow:

Regards,

Ró.

:lol: So true!

But I do have to admit we did get homesick for hamburgers and good Mexican food. We threw a Cinco de Mayo party for our German cohorts, making them Margaritas, flying them in Guacamole and authentic tacos as workers returned from the states. Good times.

What I would give for Taco Bell right now. I never thought I would say that but I do miss Taco Bell.... :lol:

Problem with New Zealand is they don't really have spicy foods. I do miss Buffalo Wings, Marinated Ribs, and even Dairy Queen, for whatever reason they don't have soft ice cream here either.

I've made Mexican food for the Maori's as well and they loved it.

They just opened their first Wendy's and on opening weekend it had a four hour line to get food...I think they have soft ice cream (and Mcdonalds) but not the same as the ole DQ :rolleyes:

Matthew Kane

Well if I ever come to New Zealand (funny thing, spell checker says this is not a word) I will bring a bag of Taco Bell! There is now real DQ's in Hawaii though :(