Sign in to follow this  
flabberjabber

Is it possible to add Andras field (EAFS) to the PMDG Nav database?

I have just started flying on-line and would like to start flights from Andras Field with the other guys but of course it will not allow me to align the INAS because if I use another airfield it recognises my position as too far. It would be good if I could add a line for EAFS with the coordinates. Our next flight will be inbound to Andras Field so it isn't such a drama as I will use a beacon that is close and recover VFR. I apologise if this has been discussed before but I couldn't see it, and help really appreciated.

Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave Boreham

I have just started flying on-line and would like to start flights from Andras Field with the other guys but of course it will not allow me to align the INAS because if I use another airfield it recognises my position as too far. It would be good if I could add a line for EAFS with the coordinates. Our next flight will be inbound to Andras Field so it isn't such a drama as I will use a beacon that is close and recover VFR. I apologise if this has been discussed before but I couldn't see it, and help really appreciated.

Regards

Dave Boreham

PMDG uses the Navigraph database. I doubt if they will add it to the real world database.

But it would be very handy.

Aerosoft will come with a new database. Maybe they can put it in.

Eric

You can put it in by hand. If you search for VHHX, you will find a how-to, then you will just have to change the coordinates.

Why can't you enter GPS coordinates from page 2 of the position page of the CDU?

This will let you align anywhere in the world.

Chuck Biggins

Dave, your problem is with initializing? Why dont you just press Shift + Z and enter the coordinates manually while you are sitting at the airport?

The coordinates are there ready to to be copied from page 2. No need to do it manually.

What am I missing?

Chuck Biggins

Gents,

Thanks for the heads up, I will try both methods later on this afternoon. I would like it in the database so I don't have toadd it from the present position on page 2 of the FMC. I tried this but I think you need the departure airfield in the route to complete the route and if the positions do not agree it tells you so!

Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave Boreham

I tried editing the database but it is not that straight forward the VHHX search helped to show me the files but the Navigraph files are as you would imagine write protected. The PMDG files are in a slightly different format but there were too many variables that were not obvious to me at least so I have left it alone. I will explore further over the coming days.

Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave Boreham

To align the IRS you need the coordinates of where you are standing, not the airport coordinate that comes with the database.

Now, it is true that if the airport it is not on the database you can't fly a route to/from that airport.

Another thing also, is that you won't have any sid or starts.

The answer, though, is yes, you can add it. Go into your FSX directory and look for a PMDG folder. In there are some files/folders related to your navdata. All you need to do is find the airports.txt file and add it in with the proper coordinates, if I remember correctly.

Kyle Rodgers

Gents,

Thanks for the heads up, I will try both methods later on this afternoon. I would like it in the database so I don't have toadd it from the present position on page 2 of the FMC. I tried this but I think you need the departure airfield in the route to complete the route and if the positions do not agree it tells you so!

Regards

Dave Boreham

Just to be clear - the pg 2 method is how it's really done in the real airplane most of the time now. The GPS position is extremely accurate, much moreso than any airport center-point position you'd get from entering the ICAO in.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,

Thanks. If you were operating from an airfield without an ICAO designator you would use ZZZZ in the departure airfield and then write the airfield name in full in field 18 of the flightplan. But how would you set up your FMC, align on the ground using the GPS will sort out the INAS but how do you populate the route in the FMC. I suppose it is unlikely that an airliner would operate from such an airfield so the problem would not raise itself. Could you get airborne VFR and activate the route using a nearby airfield's designator and a fly direct to a WPT?

Otto,

Thanks for the link, I am not brave enough to dabble to far into the files within other peoples database. I looked at the files using Notebook and although you can see the obvious parts of the data and it would be easy to add these there are variables within the data that are unclear to me so I will leave it alone for now.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave Boreham

Dave,

Use the GPS position to tell the plane where it's starting from. For the route, just use a nearby field that's in the database (especially if it's along your route).

As an example, if KJYO weren't in the database:

I would set my IRS position using the GPS coordinates on the INIT page, and then go to the route page and set KIAD as my departure field. It's 10mi south, but it's close enough.

It seems like you're confusing the two, though. The INIT page is simply telling the IRS where in the world it is. The IRS spin only aligns the thing so that it can calculate its movement away from that initial point. It needs your input to tell it where that initial point is.

The RTE page has very little to do with the INIT page from a functional standpoint. Obviously, it's ideal (and expected) that you'd set your departure airport as the same airport you're actually sitting at, but you don't have to. One of the contributing factors to the confusion is probably that when you enter the airport code on the INIT page, it copies it over to the RTE page. It only does that for convenience.

So, you put the position on the INIT page to tell the IRS where it is in the world. You can copy this over from the GPS position without using the airport reference. After that, just use an airport nearby to help set the route in (if you don't have maps handy, use the ARPT button for the nav display). If it shows there, it's in the database.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Thanks, I have just manged a flight doing exactly this. When I tried the first time I had the warning that the Airfield posn was not as the IRS posn and didn't try to progress the route beyond this. I apologise to those who must have been scratching their heads and thinking 'What is his problem'! Thank you everybody, although if it was possible I would like EAFS in the database.

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave Boreham