Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Allensworth

An Interview with Lockheed Martin - P3D

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The one that just appeared on the front page.

Oh my bad, I'm on Tapatalk.

Good read. Maybe there is a future after all for this platform, or child of this platform if you may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Interview with Lockheed Martin - P3D <snip>

There you have it folks, if you wish to have a tool that enables you to learn about aviation, ATC, Navigation, etc. then P3D is the way to go for you.

Will Reynolds

Avsim Reporter

Great news, the future for Flight Simulators (as a training tool) seems to be guaranteed. Kudos for LM

Thank you for sharing with us.

Thank you for sharing this with us AVSIM. The people running the project seem nice. However, the interview, while informative, leaves more questions than answers. The bright side says that P3D stands little chance of devovling into a "fly through the rings" and "treasure hunt sans cockpit" farce. It seems that where we are headed is quite obvious.

Great news, the future for Flight Simulators (as a training tool) seems to be guaranteed. Kudos for LM

Thank you for sharing with us.

So that means that all iterations of FS prior to P3D were what? Because as far as I remember, all versions of FS taught us about aviation, navigation, etc.

Good interview job on Avsim part, thank you. Very journalistic I found it reassuring it wont be discontinued as a civil aviation training tool, as we know it, once it becomes a military training sim, or at least that was my understanding. Always been somewhat of a concern.

Great interview

I have always strived to attain and experience the most realistic flight simulation environment and this interview confirmed in my mind that Prepar3D is trying to achieve the same goal

Thank you to LM for perpetuating the legacy and growth of flight simming

Can't wait for even bigger better and faster things to come from LM Prepar3D

So that means that all iterations of FS prior to P3D were what? Because as far as I remember, all versions of FS taught us about aviation, navigation, etc.

You didn’t get the point. Prepar3D is licensed as a learning and training tool. FS1 -> FSX were for “entertainment purposes only” (If I recall correctly in Microsoft EULA).

It means that all we have learned using FS (me 25+ years) can now be enhanced if I get prepar3D.

It also means that our hobby won’t end with FSX; there is a light in the horizon

Kudos to AVSIM for taking the initiative. Good interview!

There will be those that still,don't get it but that's life.

I for one am excited and sure, maybe even a bit nieve that my simming will only get better.

Even P3D in its current 1.4 version has me back at the controls when I should be out enjoying what's left of summer.

Well done Avsim and a big thank you to Lockheed Martin for being so frank and informative. It is encouraging that someone like Martile Allen is driving this forward for LM. I have the feeling that things are going to get done...

A good interview that does give some idea of where LM are going, However the interviewer didnt ask the obvious question that is on everyones lips when Martile answered " What it can’t do is support just-for-fun simming"

My question is: Is this because of an agreement/contract with M.S. so that M.S. can in the future produce a sim for entertainment purposes (possibly based on the LM project) or is this a decision taken by LM themselves as they have no interest in supplying a product to the public in general?

Why would you believe for a moment that any entity would share such commercial information???

If they could share it they would have done so when the time was right. They chose not to expand on it and it is their right.

There is more than enough information in the interview to understand development path and current status.

However the interviewer didnt ask the obvious question that is on everyones lips when Martile answered " What it can’t do is support just-for-fun simming"

I just saw MiB3 yesterday (very nice movie btw), there is a quote I remembered from it: don't ask a question that you don't want to know the answer of.

Or, as an interviewer, "don't ask a question you already know the interviewee is not permitted to answer," especially if you want them to be receptive to future interview requests.

To AVSIM,

Thank you so very much for taking the initiative for the interview. To Lockheed Martin- Thank you so very much for not only granting the interview, but for being so patient over the past couple of years and most of all, for providing an academic license in addition to the higher level licenses.

You didn’t get the point. Prepar3D is licensed as a learning and training tool. FS1 -> FSX were for “entertainment purposes only” (Microsoft EULA).

It means that all we have learned using FS (me 25+ years) can now be enhanced if I get prepar3D.

It also means that our hobby won’t end with FSX; there is a light in the horizon

I think the point is that most everyone that is already using FSX has under estimated its value as a training tool. I have always been bothered by those who called FSX, FS9 and X-Plane, games. They are not games, they are "training/educational tools".

Mario Bros. is a game. Mujong Tiles is a game.

I know that developers have in their EULAs not to use their software as training tools, but I think they should specify that it should not be used as training tools for real world aircraft of any type. Simmers can be "training" to fly on VATSIM or other online venues, or just can be using the software as a training tool to educate themselves on better understanding of aviation and not specifically using it to become pilots or develop real pilot skills.

I do not have to be training to be a real pilot to use a simulation training tool for educational purposes. I could just be interested in aviation and want to learn more about it. That is why I buy simulated airliners and GA aircraft from companies like PMDG and Carenado who are very accurate in their products.

Way back years ago during my Private/Commercial/Instrument Pilot Ground schools (working on my A.S. Degree in Aviation) our main instructor was a retired USN pilot that would not listen to anything other the sound of his own voice. This was back in 1999-2001 and FS98 was king. At the same time, Prof. Carpenter had his coveted Elite Flight Simulator. He even brought it to class a few times and displayed it up on the overhead to show us all how to execute various maneuvers, etc. Anyhow, I tried to explain to him how valuable MSFS 98 was. "No, no No! Dont tell me about Microsoft Flight Simulator. That is a game. A GAME! On the other hand, my Elite simulator has different aircraft with all the right instruments and navaids and a few hundred airports and it even has the ability to go back and play your flight back to watch how well you performed!"

Yeah. I just sat there and kept my mouth shut. What a tool. I bet he would've argued with God if He showed him that MSFS had all the same features...but was simply sold as a game.

Eric, apparently your instructor was not aware that the U.S. Navy had been using FS98 at Corpus Christi NAS for several years already... :LMAO:

One of my best friends is a retired corporate pilot (40+ thousand hours logged), who quite literally has every possible certification and endorsement it's possible for any pilot to have...

Unfortunately, he goes into complete hysterics if I even breathe the words "flight simulator" in his direction. Since "flight simulation development" is my livelihood, perhaps that's why he hasn't invited me to lunch for the past fifteen years... :blush:

I have always been bothered by those who called FSX, FS9 and X-Plane, games. They are not games, they are "training/educational tools".

It's not one or the other. They can be games.... and they can be training/educational tools... they can both at the same time - educational games! It's all in how you use them and what you want to do that day.

I've used MSFS as a pure distraction from daily life to zip through some mountain valleys in an F-18... I've used MSFS as a procedural simulator to walk through some of the concepts my flight instructor was passing along when I was taking lessons... I've used MSFS to pre-fly cross country flights to see if the photo scenery lends any good landmarks to watch for... I've used MSFS to "fun"-fly cross country flights to places I'd never go in airplanes I could never really fly...

There's nothing wrong with being entertained while you are being educated or trained. Only you can decide for yourself whether you fit into the moral compass of Lockheed's EULA language.