Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

GE, RR or PW?

Interested in what is your favourite engine type on the 777?

For the 300 mine's the 115B & for the 200 has to be the Trent 800 :-)

There it's a video on youtube of a UA 777 doing a go around on short final at SEA. The videographer is focused on the engine which is a PW. The sound of it is just incredible.

Eric 

I heard a distinctive PW whine coming from a 777 at ORD and when the jet came into view I was surprised to see that it was Asiana, with so many United birds here it was kinda odd to hear it from a different carrier. That Asiana 777 tricks me almost every time lol

Here is the link to that video. 4 minutes of PW pleasure for your ears.

Eric 

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that sounds so powerful. Love it and can't wait for PMDG 777 - I hope it sounds just like that!

Btw. what did the attendant say in the end, why did they do a GA? I don't understand what she says.

I love the look of the GEs, but the harmonics of the PW are awesome. My old high school is under the approach path for 1C (1L at the time), so I got to hear them all the time. As Robert mentioned, IAD was quite the 777 hub, so they were always around.

If the engines don't spool at exactly the same speed, you'll hear some really cool harmonics. You can hear it on all kinds of aircraft, but the size and design of the PWs make it very distinct.

Kyle Rodgers

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that sounds so powerful. Love it and can't wait for PMDG 777 - I hope it sounds just like that!

Btw. what did the attendant say in the end, why did they do a GA? I don't understand what she says.

I don't believe that was an FA...I think that was the PNF doing the PA. I think it's wrong to assume that due to a female voice, it had to be an FA.

Anyway, she said that they had initiated go around procedures due to an erroneous indication in the cockpit, that it had been sorted out and that they would be turning around to land shortly.

I don't believe that was an FA...I think that was the PNF doing the PA. I think it's wrong to assume that due to a female voice, it had to be an FA.

OK thanks, I wasn't really implying it must have been an att. As you say, it was probably PNF.

Gday

I dont know why i torture myself, watching 777s videos, especially wing views showing the awsome engines, and that sound at high power (could let loose with expletives here ) :lol: The 777 coming in to land reminds me of an eagle coming in for a kill with its talens outstreched. Truely a beautiful aeroplane.

Jeff

I really love the power and growling sound during start up of the GE90. It is so amazing.

But I'm looking forward to the Trent 800. Because it has a very deep growling sound when spooling up from ground idle. Maybe somewhere between 20-30%N1.

I noticed it on a B777-300 equipped with RR-engines from Thai Airways on my flight from BKK to MEL. During taxi you could hear it all the time when the pilots applied thrust to start taxiing. I love this sound. Can't wait to hear in FSX.

Cheers