Sign in to follow this  
Talek

Can we pilot a real 737 if we can

pilot the NGX 737 cold and dark to cold and dark perfectly ?

if no tell me why

Probably more likely than the average person... Ideally spend some time in a Level-D simulator to get used to the 'feel', and who knows.

EDIT: I had 2 hours in a 737-800 sim last year, and had NGX experience before hand. Everything went a-ok, but flaring is pretty darn hard in that thing, took 4 attempts to nail it.

RL pilots could answer that. but if the NGX has been designed exactly as the real one than probably the start up procedures should be the same , so you could fire up.

I think I have a feeling , a Real NGX is going to go missing :O

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

No, because flying an $80 simulation on an archaic platform aka FSX doesn't compare to the thousands of dollars in training and flight hours real pilots get before even sitting in the right seat.

It's wishful thinking but great stuff to daydream about when you're bored at work or trying to fall asleep at night.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

Interesting, I have wondered sometimes what would happen if I suddenly were in the cockpit at crz and the crew was gone... Would think that someone on the ground would try talking me down to an apt with autoland posibilities? At least I would have tried, the alternative is worse ;)

23.png

Well you can put it this way; someone who has ridden a bicycle will probably do better on a motorcycle then someone who has only been a passenger on a motorcycle.

But don't enter into the next Daytona race with the motorcycle.

Doubtful, I flew the DA-20 and C172 in the sim and once I started to train on the real planes the handling and experience is much different than in the sim. Sure we may know how to manipulate the systems but that's the only thing the NGX can help with.

Would think that someone on the ground would try talking me down to an apt with autoland posibilities?

This question comes up occasionally, and once we were told they can land it from the ground. Which is what I'd certainly prefer if I were a passenger on said airliner.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

No. You could find your way around the AP, FMC and most systems well enough, but actually hand fly? That takes feel that a desk top sim cannot provide. I had a go in one of those static faux 737 FSX based sims that Joe Public can use. Even that was completely different to the desktop. I blew my first landing (I thought so - even though I was on the tarmac) to which the 'instructor' said I'd clearly done this before and that I did better than most.

I used to read these threads before I bought NGX and wondered what was special about it that made people think they could jump in a real bus and do it. Don't get me wrong... it's very good. But it does not provide mythical powers of airmanship or hands on skills transferable to the real thing.

Maybe high-quality hardware helps. Obviously, a Saitek yoke or any other desktop yoke is not going to replicate the feel of a real aircraft as well as a motorized column yoke would. Add some external panels and the desktop simulation even better mimics the real thing.

My biggest concerns involving piloting a real aircraft in an emergency would be (1) deciding and performing appropriate modifications to the flight plan and (2), in the case of a visual approach, lining up the aircraft correctly with the runway center line. In the simulator, you can fix the runway to a certain part of the glare shield, but in a real aircraft, you don't have the same consistent viewpoint as you do in the simulator.

This topic comes up every now and again :) could you hand fly the aircraft following a strict SOP combined with operating the aircraft in congested airspace? The answer is definetly no if you have no official training :)

Hand flying these machines (In normal conditions) is not inherently hard, which is why I can say with certiain confidence that the majority of the non real world 747/MD11/NG drivers that I have got to know on this forum would settle into a LVL-D sim quite easily.

Without a doubt any dedicated PMDG user would be comfortable powering up the real aircraft once they get used to the minor tactile things like depressing the brakes before applying the park brake or how the real flap handle works.

There is more to operating these machines then knowing what every button & switch does, and that comes with line training, understanding your comapany's SOP/Philosophy and being able to work within that consistently as part of a team.

I will always remember when my old man was doing his type rating for the 777, in one sim session he had to fly a raw data approach in poor vis with multiple failures, In my head I was thinking that sounds like fun, in reality he was thinking if I screw this up I could be out off a job.

Rob Prest

(2), in the case of a visual approach, lining up the aircraft correctly with the runway center line. In the simulator, you can fix the runway to a certain part of the glare shield, but in a real aircraft, you don't have the same consistent viewpoint as you do in the simulator.

I've found that with software like ezdok or the opus camera system, the dynamic head movement they generate forces me to line up visually using the plane's flight motion and ground references rather then a point on the dash.

An old instructor told me during some my c172 training that in small planes like that you just put the centerline right between your knees.

In larger planes he said he would line up using whichever knee was closest to the throttles.

I use this method with the NGX and it works every time.

I recall an episode from Mythbusters on Discovery Channel. They tested in a NASA simulator to see if they could land without having any previous experience, crash landed. Then tried with coaching over the radio, and were successful in landing.

Not even the full motion multi million dollar sims the likes of Flight Safety and Simuflite build can wholly recreate the entire flying experience.

If they cannot do it then MSFS surely falls light years short of that goal.

One thing no sim can recreate no matter how well its failures are modeled is the pit of your stomach seat of your pants feeling you get in the real thing. Be it a Piper Cub or a 747.

Understanding how to start up a 737 and program it to fly under perfect conditions while your feet are planted safety in front of your PC is one thing. Doing it for real, when your life is on the line is a whole different ball game.

A bit like comparing you abilities at football on Xbox to the NFL Super Bowl.

Jacob

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Some people could, some couldn't. I landed my first ever flight in a glider, that was the first time I had been in a plane! then done the complete flight in my first powered aircraft, a 152, as I told the instructor I had " a few hours" when I had none. Contestants on the krypton factor, after a couple hours tuition in a simulator, landed a 737 or even a seaking on a carrier, watching tv about easy jet recruitment, pilots with only rotary wing experience landed he 737 perfectly in the simulator during their interview test flight.

You can't simply say it can't be done.

Think about the thousands of recruits in WWII, a few hours in a tiger moth, now here is a spitfire, careful with the rudder on takeoff, pat on the back, close the canopy, and away they went!

-Iain Watson-