Sign in to follow this  
HugoStiglitz

Should I make the change from FSX to prepar3d?

So far I am happy with Fsx running in Dx10, no OOM or CTD, maybe thats because I am not using complex addon. One thing that I really dislike is the autogen pop up. I will definately get P3D if LM manage to bring back alpha fade autogen in future update.

Ok I am downloading P3d and the Flightsim Estonia tool as we speak.

Question about the tool: If I have something already installed in FSX that I want to install in P3d all I have to do is turn it on and when I run the installer it will install into P3d right.

What about products that have a P3d installer, namely REX. Do I have to uninstall it then reinstall it or can I just tell it to install in P3d?

thanks

Lee

Ok I am downloading P3d and the Flightsim Estonia tool as we speak.

Question about the tool: If I have something already installed in FSX that I want to install in P3d all I have to do is turn it on and when I run the installer it will install into P3d right.

What about products that have a P3d installer, namely REX. Do I have to uninstall it then reinstall it or can I just tell it to install in P3d?

thanks

Lee

I only have P3D installed, so I can't say for sure, but the rule is that you should disable the "virtual fsx installation" whenever you want to install products that have P3D-ready installers.

In my case I just had a little problem so far - AS2012 SP2, which has native P3D installer, asked me for re-activation 4 days after I have installed and enabled permanently through Estonian Migration Tool the "virtual fsx installation"

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Anyone here successfully use FS2crew 747 and 737? How about hardware such as Goflight, Saitek, CP MCP and TabletFMC?

P3D sounds like a great system, but I am too attached to things like Accusim and Accu-Feel. I won't trade the pleasure of trying to start a cranky V-12 on a cold day, Trying to take a Spitfire off on a hot day before the damn thing overheats...thats good stuff.

When my favorite devlopers support P3D or Xplane, I would consider it.

When A2A, PMDG, RealAir, Classics Hangar, and Baytower support P3D I will move over.

Cheers

TJ

thanks guys....it's not enough to make me not get P3d because I think I would like to keep FSX installed anyway. One of the main reasons being that the FSL A320 will only work in P3d with their "Pro" version or whatever its called, and I am a bit apprehensive about the price of that.

Any thoughts on having both installed at once?

thanks again

I have Fsx installed on its own dedicated SSD in its own folder (not the default program/files/x86). If you do opt for both sims, I would HIGHLY recommend placing them on separate hard drives in folders created by yourself. Yes, that would be 3 hard drives in all.

P3D sounds like a great system, but I am too attached to things like Accusim and Accu-Feel. I won't trade the pleasure of trying to start a cranky V-12 on a cold day, Trying to take a Spitfire off on a hot day before the damn thing overheats...thats good stuff.

When my favorite devlopers support P3D or Xplane, I would consider it.

When A2A, PMDG, RealAir, Classics Hangar, and Baytower support P3D I will move over.

Cheers

TJ

Yeah! I know what you mean :-)

It's so good to be back on my A2A Accusim P51d Civil in LM P3D :-)  It's, together with the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended the one I use the most!

And, it even feels better, because of the smoother display ;-)

Now, when it comes to extreme aerobatics, nothing can beat DCS's p51d.... That IS THE SIMULATOR!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

when installing outside the Program files in the C drive would you make a folder named Prepar3d in the C drive or just run the installer to C:?

lee

I do just because I didnt want it splatter all over my dedicated drive. I cant say whether it will make its own directory? Quite sure it doesn't.

got my answer

no it doesnt make its own directory

cheers

well my experience of the first 5 minutes...

I really really like it :lol:

I want to install it on a hdd separate from FSX. Will on connected by esata be fast enough? or will that still conflict with my FSX install on my C drive?

I want to install it on a hdd separate from FSX. Will on connected by esata be fast enough? or will that still conflict with my FSX install on my C drive?

If it's on the same system, then they'll allways "conflict". That's why some use the Estonian Migration Tool (ETM) to allow for installations into both "worlds" without major problems.

Basically, when active this - EMT - creates a virtual FSX installation in your system, that points to the LM P3D folders. The virtual installation must be disabled before using FSX or installing add-ons that are already P3D-aware.

I have none of those problems because FSX is wipped from my disk, but I still used EMT to install a couple of older FSX add-ons into P3D. It worked beautifuly!

Main Simulation Rig:

I've been using P3D for over 6 months now and love it.

But flying with FSX in DX10 mode has really got my attention for the time being. The addons I can run concurently combined with an LOD setting of 9.5 and a nice steady locked 30fps has got me hooked. No oom's so far.

I've also brought one of my old rig's out of the closet, bought a couple 19" lcd's for $60 ea. some Project Magenta software for $200 and all I can say is WOW why didnt I do this a long time ago ;)

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com