Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

FTX Global Who is Gonna Buy!

At what point do they make all their region add-on airports compatible with FTX Global?

FTX Global is targeting the high flyer. They already have a few airports in development for FTX Global. I feel that FTX Global is also for the new user who will not invest in the regions and airports. It's very expensive when you start to add it all up.

It's just pure imagination and speculation from my side :lol: But just think about it...They have said they are gonna add things to global as time passes, landclass, POI, Airports, Cityscapes but not yet mesh and coastlines, but add that too the equation and where getting somewhere...When time passes Global will start to evolve when all these things get added. At some point(if they do not stop) it may start to shape up too the Orbx region standards(may)...So maybe one day they find out that Global is so good that they fully integrate the regions(getting rid of the autogen switcher once and for all) and offer the whole thing as a complete scenery....It could happen sometime in the future after Prepar3dV2 have been released.....couldn't it?

But as I said It's just my crazy imagination that has runned wild so don't take it seriously :P Probably just a pipedream :rolleyes:

Long thread. But am I the only one who is unimpressed by the screenshots? Or maybe I'm just not excited about a texture addon. (Is it more than textures?)

It goes without saying that Orbx PNW was a revolutionary product, but this addon seems much more "lite."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Or maybe I'm just not excited about a texture addon. (Is it more than textures?)

It's not more than textures yet...allthough it has more dense autogen and added night Lightning.

I guess if people are happy with default textures or GEX, or have most of the world covered in phototextures and prefer that,

this product isn't too exiting....But I think it is a great way to enhance the rest of the world not yet covered by others..If you have good landclass, coastlines, mesh and stuff but missing good textures this is a perfect addon... B)

Saying this is a light product I think is a bit unfair, It does cover the whole world....at a relative cheap price(considering the alternative)

Waiting for the angry customers come a minute after this is out

Why?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

It's not more than textures yet...allthough it has more dense autogen and added night Lightning.

I guess if people are happy with default textures or GEX, or have most of the world covered in phototextures and prefer that,

this product isn't too exiting....But I think it is a great way to enhance the rest of the world not yet covered by others..If you have good landclass, coastlines, mesh and stuff but missing good textures this is a perfect addon... B)

Saying this is a light product I think is a bit unfair, It does cover the whole world....at a relative cheap price(considering the alternative)

It's still lite, whether it covers the entire world or not.  Lite as in not a lot of substance (ie textures only).  If it was a landclass, texture, and autogen pack for the whole world I wouldn't call it lite.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Waiting for the angry customers come a minute after this is out

I think you are right.

Many people will buy this product thinking that it will be similar to the Orbx regional sceneries that are currently available. This is not the case. What FTX Global offers is only a very small part of what the current Orbx regions offer.

It's still lite, whether it covers the entire world or not. Lite as in not a lot of substance (ie textures only). If it was a landclass, texture, and autogen pack for the whole world I wouldn't call it lite.

I can see what you mean,,,however it weights in 9GB installed so I wouldn't call it light in that sense :rolleyes:

I can see this product doesn't appeal to everyone, but for us Norwegians that already have good freeware mesh, landclass and coastlines for Norway with about 95% accuracy this product Is revolutionary as It adds much better textures to Norway than GEX and default and is a warm welcome.

Instead of having to wait until FTX Norway gets released in maybe 2014 this is a very good solution while we wait, and they have hired a Norwegian to do airports for FTX Global that will also fit into FTX Norway when it gets out.

I own all their regional terrain products and some of their airports.  I think FTX global will add a lot of realism to the deafult FSX world.  But I think I should to it on a clean install of FSX, considering I have so many sceneries instaled and terrain products installed.  I shoudl not have any performance issues with my system.

One question: Does FTX Global include accurate elevation mesh, or should I keep my FS Genesis mesh?

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

One question: Does FTX Global include accurate elevation mesh, or should I keep my FS Genesis mesh?

No mesh will be included, so keep your FS Genesis.

But I think I should to it on a clean install of FSX, considering I have so many sceneries instaled and terrain products installed. I shoudl not have any performance issues with my system.

Why do that? FTX Global will actually enhance all those other scenerys you have. Lately I have been enhancing my FSX world with all kinds of scenerys from other devs just to be ready for FTX Global and have more correct, coastlines, mesh, landclass as FTX Global is just textures and you would need good lanclass to tell Global where to put them. You can even use photoreal sceneries in areas where you have that as they will just place themselfes ontop of FTX GLobal..

Only thing you'll have to remove is GEX obviously..

It's still lite, whether it covers the entire world or not.  Lite as in not a lot of substance (ie textures only).  If it was a landclass, texture, and autogen pack for the whole world I wouldn't call it lite.

It is texture and autogen for the whole world and with the OPENLC product will include Land class. What you won't get are accurate roads, rivers and coastlines, which is why you still need UTX for that.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I am thinking of getting this product but in my opinion it costs much. I know there are other alternatives costs much more than that but I value a product by its properties. For example, PMDG produces very high quality products in long time and they deserve the money for what they do but generally in FSX addons, there is a premium price rate. Airports costs much more than they deserve though I still own some of the payware airports. If we look to a game like GTA 5, they are sold for 50$ and I know they sell a lot more than an addon but still everything should be priced according to what they deliver. Also I searched but couldn't find, can someone show me the Norway scenery you are talking about?

Check out the latest from John Venema regarding FTX global posted on the ORBX forum.  I'm glad to see that release is postponed until July in order to devote more time to fixing the landclass lookup table and, most importantly in my opinion, making more textures.  This demonstrates a high level of dedication to "getting it right" and making a first-class product.

I don't see how one could consider FTX global a "lite" product.  It will replace *all* the textures, replace all the autogen, and include a modified lclookup.bgl and worldlc.bgl to improve the landlcass around the world.  This, on the contrary, is a "heavy" product. 

And all this for about $100.  It would cost over $200.00 to purchase all the textures from a competing developer who sells texture replacements through Flight1, which I'm sorry to say I'm not too impressed with.  Yes, they are better than default, but still not realistic enough.  For example, I'm flying over Malaysia and Vietnam and most of the area below looks like dry grassland - not nearly green enough.  This is with both default and SceneryTech landclass, so it's a texture problem.  This is the case with many other parts of the world as well.  ORBX textures, at least the ones I've seen so far, are generally greener and look more realistic.

No, I don't work for ORBX, but I'm immensely pleased and excited that finally there is a company with the desire and wherewithall to produce high quality, realistic scenery for FSX on a large scale.  When ORBX first started producing their scenery regions, I was disappointed at the pace of new region development and resigned to the fact that it would take many years just to cover Europe and North America, but now with FTX Global and OpenLC we'll have a "lite" version of ORBX's scenery regions on a much larger scale with world coverage likely within the next year or two.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I think you are right.

Many people will buy this product thinking that it will be similar to the Orbx regional sceneries that are currently available. This is not the case. What FTX Global offers is only a very small part of what the current Orbx regions offer.

I agree - based on comments here, I think many are setting themselves up for disappointment.  The funny thing is, in numerous articles on the Orbx site, there have been good explanations of what the product is and isn't, including warnings that this won't make the whole world an Orbx region.  And yet...

I can see this product doesn't appeal to everyone

It's not that it doesn't appeal.  It's that I don't think it's quite the game changer or replacement for regions some seem to think - at least not in the state described for an initial release.  It does appear to have some interesting potential going forward, however, and it does appear more appealing to my eye than current alternatives.

Scott