Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndrewPilot

Need Computer help in SoCal!

Hello All,

I have been playing FSX for 3 years and just love it.  Unfortunately my old Toshiba Laptop died, so my dad and I are building a proper gaming computer.  We were wondering if there was a FSX " expert" who could guide us through the build and installation of all the add-ons.  My dad wants to help me build the computer myself so I can learn, instead of buying one from the store.    Its taken two years to earn all these parts!  If I have written this in the wrong spot I am sorry, but thank you for your help

Andrew

9 years

Computer Build List:

i7 3770K

Asus P8z77 Pro Motherboard

GTX680 Video

3x 23" Monitors ( will it work with the video card?)

16 M  1866 RAM

Samsung 840 SSD

Corsair H80i Cooler

Corsair 850w Power Supply

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My dad wants to help me build the computer myself so I can learn, instead of buying one from the store. Its taken two years to earn all these parts!

Your Dad must be trying to make you a computer engineer before you are 10!  :lol:  But that's good!  This is a very good list of components. Appears to be well-researched.  It is close to my dream system but then I'm upgrading to the Haswell i7 4770K when it is released next month (June).  You might look at that but then your system will run FSX very well and you won't have to wait another year to save for it.  AVSIM has a Hardware Forum with a lot of discussions on system building.  You should take a look down there and see if there are any better ideas.  The only suggestion I have to your list is to buy a 1TB or more HDD for any Photoscenery or for a place to locate your scenery add-ons.  We also have a video and monitor forum where individuals discuss 3 monitor setups.  I do not think you'll have any problems with the 3 monitors working on the GTX680.  In fact I plan on doing the same but will probably get the GTX780.  You might check there to make sure though.

Are you really 9 years old?  If so, you did good!  Have fun building your new computer!

Best regards,

Jim

Congratulations on earning those parts! I echo everything Jim mentioned in his reply. The only other thing I would add, make sure and spend some time in researching the case too. I built a very similar system to yours and I went with a full ATX case. (Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green) You want something that can hold all of that hardware and give plenty of room for that massive graphics card and accommodate plenty of large cooling fans. It's also really nice to be able to get those cables out of the way not to mention having lots of room to work. Good luck and have fun with your build.

Hi Andrew and dad, welcome to the forums.

My computers component list is nearly the same as yours and it runs FSX very smoothly with most sliders near max.

You've come to the best place for advice and questions regarding FSX.

Good luck with your new computer.

Ray

73 years

Hello All,

I have been playing FSX for 3 years and just love it.  Unfortunately my old Toshiba Laptop died, so my dad and I are building a proper gaming computer.  We were wondering if there was a FSX " expert" who could guide us through the build and installation of all the add-ons.  My dad wants to help me build the computer myself so I can learn, instead of buying one from the store.    Its taken two years to earn all these parts!  If I have written this in the wrong spot I am sorry, but thank you for your help

Andrew

9 years

Computer Build List:

i7 3770K

Asus P8z77 Pro Motherboard

GTX680 Video

3x 23" Monitors ( will it work with the video card?)

16 M  1866 RAM

Samsung 840 SSD

Corsair H80i Cooler

Corsair 850w Power Supply

Great choices of hardware, specially the Samsung 840 SSD. Should take you a long way in your flightsimming. Is it the PRO version? I've just bought it. A great SSD.

Good luck and make sure to have fun. I am currently 15, and built my first computer at either 11 or 12, and was hooked from then on. You will want to thank your dad, later for making you do this. All of your part choices appear to be solid, and will last you a long time. 

Andrew, welcome to the FSX Forum! There are a lot of helpful people here. The only thing I would add is a good surround sound system. I would also suggest Windows 7 64 bit Operating System for full FSX Gold support.

Have fun

Dave

*** Reply from Andrews Dad ****

Hello Guys,

I'm Tony,  Andrews Dad.    Andrew has done a great job earning all the parts for this computer build.   I am also going to contribute the funds for a triple 23"monitor setup.   I always check/proofread his posts before he submits them.  I forgot to mention that Yes it is the Samsung 840 Pro 512 SDD and will have a 1TB WD Black HDD.  I was going to use windows 8, but ??

Things change so fast I don't know if it is worth waiting for the Haswell line of Intel CPU's? 

Thanks.

Tony and Andrew  ****

Is there anyone who lives in the Southern California area who we might be able to call upon for things like Program / Add-on s installation and general optimizing?  Thanks Again! 

Andrew,

Welcome.... sounds like a fun project and great system... I would also recommend browsing the System & Hardware forum with-in Avsim... There are a lot of very helpful post and people with-in that forum....

I just wanted to add that you also need a drive to store your purchased/freeware scenery, aircraft, weather programs, etc, and a backup drive to clone your boot drive and FSX installation. You're going to be putting a lot of hours initially and over the long-term installing and configuring FSX and addons. I can't stress enough the importance of regular drive cloning in case of a main drive failure, or even simply the need to restore various default FSX files if they get corrupted or overwritten by some rogue addon installer.

At very least you should have a large enough backup drive that allows you to regularly run Windows' backup image routine so at minimum you can fully restore your boot drive and FSX installation.

2TB drives are a lot cheaper (by factor of at least 10) compared to what it will cost you to recover the contents of a dead drive, if the data can even be recovered. With a clone or image of your boot drive and FSX installation you can be up and running again in minutes rather than the many many hours it would take to re-download, re-install and re-configure everything.

I had a great time doing my first build two years ago and it still feels good knowing that I put it all together myself.

A concluding thought: don't be shy about overclocking that CPU for significantly increased FSX performance. It's not as complicated as it first seems, and you have a cooling solution in the H80 that will very capably support a decent OC. As a complete noob to the PC world I was easily able to get my i7-2600K up to 4.7GHz with sensible voltage and great temps no more than 2 weeks after finishing the build. All of the information you will need to do it is already out there -- you just need to ask for help.

Best of luck to you and your dad with your new rig.

**UPDATE**

Hello,

There has been a lot of new chips introduced in the last two weeks..so here is our updated build list.  I'm just not sure which versions of Windows to use...7  or 8?

Build List:

Intel i7 4770K

Asus Z87 -PRO

Corsair Vengeance 16GB /2400

Samsung 840 PRO 256 SSD

WD Caviar Black 2 TB

Corsair H80i Cooler

EVGA GTX770 Superclocked 2GB

Liteon DVD Burner

Corsair HX 850 PSU

Windows 7 or 8?

We will order next week!  What do you think?  Thanks everyone

Win7 is what I would (will) choose for the new build.

The initial comments about the 4770k have been a little underwhelming. I anticipate sticking with the 3770k for my build. Depending upon where in SoKali you is, there is a Micro Center store down in Orange County, just off the 55 right above the 405. I want to say Mc Fadden exit? Comparing prices, which means you would have to go to Micro Center to purchase, but they have the 3770k for $250, whereas Newegg (located in City of Industry and you can do a pick up at the warehouse!) has the 4770k for $350. Might make a nice field trip for you and your son, plus it puts you under the short final path into John Wayne Airport.

If you go to Micro Center, pick up a 3770k for me and I'll mail the money down. It's way too long of a drive for me nowadays, where living in the IE would have meant an hour's drive. :lol:

Also would mention to make sure and get a Gold rated PSU versus a Bronze. One thing I don't like to cheap out on is the PSU.

I've very Jealous Andrew, I wish I had those components! Good luck. BTW, you need to consider Win7 64bit over Win8 from what I understand.

I'd hold off on the 4770 for now. The initial reports have not been good for FSX. Sometimes the latest and greatest isn't. After looking closely at the 4770 - I just built another system with a 3770k. I just do not see the 4770 as an improvement.

BTW - where in SoCal are you?

Vic

***FRom  DAD***

Thanks for the answers and replies.  We BOTH appreciate it!!

Ok it looks like Windows 7 -64 bit is the clear choice.

I told Andrew that we should go with the new Haswell chip, because of the new Socket and slightly higher speed tests..so far.  Intel Has this new chip priced at about $280( after discounts). I wanted the motherboard to be slightly future proof with the new socket and chip. 

VR Baron we live in Orange County and would be happy to drive up to Burbank, if you would be able to help with the software setup and install. I would compensate you for your time

I can't even get a new livery put on without causing Chaos!  lol.

I know the new chip is a bit underwelming...but lets see what some Overclockers can do.  ;-)

Tony..

Andrews Dad

Great looking list. Definitely jealous! :-)

For the cooler, I'd go for the 100i. Just use one for a computer I build for a friend. It's a great and highly capable cooler.

What casing will you use? If you use a Corsair case you'll have no problems with mounting the Corsair cooler.

I can recommend the Corsair Obsidian 600D. It's a fantastic case. If you've got a bit more to spend go for the Obsidian 800D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good build! Congratulations on earning the parts!! I too am building a new rig, based on the 4770k, have all the parts and am just waiting till we move up to Long Beach tomorrow. So yes, I am in the SoCal area, currently in San Diego, and am getting stationed up at the Naval base in Seal Beach. I dont know a whole lot about tweaking systems and all the fsx.cfg tweaks, but i think I could be of assistance with the software, getting fsx up and running, installing addons, livery's, sceneries, ect ect.

Adam

Another poster asked the same question I had: which case are you considering? Be sure to get a case with excellent airflow. Read reviews, get recommendations. IMHO, if you have the physical space for it, full-tower with a good cable management system is the way to go. The extra room inside makes the initial assembly and later cleaning and addition/swapping of components so much easier. Other considerations are front-panel USB and audio ports, and a fan/filter design that's easy to access for regular cleaning. You should be able to get all of this for $100-$150.

For Cases...

We were looking at the Corsair Carbide 300R and the Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower cases.

Also the Antec 902  seemed nice.  The Full towers look huge and we ( I ) would really like it to sit under a desk.  

*  Tony

For Cases...

We were looking at the Corsair Carbide 300R and the Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower cases.

Also the Antec 902  seemed nice.  The Full towers look huge and we ( I ) would really like it to sit under a desk.  

*  Tony

If using a Corsair cooler, I would definitely go for a Corsair case. That way you're sure to have a easy installation of the radiator. Other cases might involve having to drill holes for the fastening screws.

Hi Andrew,

I have a 10 year old boy, Oscar, and he thinks he's pretty smart.

I'm with your Dad and hanging out for the Haswell as I am expecting it will go better for over clocking than the Ivy Bridge, de-lidding not withstanding.  I am relatively new to over clocking but it certainly is a rewarding, albeit time consuming endeavour.  I have been surprised how much the ambient temperature affects the CPU temp, but then I do live in Melbourne.  I was just telling a work mate today how much my system helps to heat my study during the winter months.

I plan to build a new rig sometime later this year and one of things I need to figure out is where to load all the software, assuming I get a SSD.  Should I load the OS (Win 7) on the HDD and FSX plus all the add-ons on the SSD?  Well I don't know but I'm sure I can get the answer here on Avsim.

As for aircraft the answer is simple.  IMHO it has to be the PMDG NGX.

qkuih.jpg

Just Finished the new build and loaded windows..

This is what we ended up with:

Intel I7 4770k

Asus Z87-Deluxe

Nvidia GTX770 Superclocked ACX 2GB

Patriot 16GB 1600 memory ( 8cl)

Corsair Carbide 300 Case

Corsair AX850 PSU

Samsung Pro 250 SSD(x2 !)

WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD for cloning and backup

LG Blue Ray RW

Windows 7 Home 64bit

The Corsair cooling was hard because the radiator interefered with the CPU power plugs etc , so I had to drill new holes and move the radiator 1/4"  ..  I just loaded windows on the one SSD and will work on the rest tomorrow.. Whew.. Andrew did most of the work with dad looking over his shoulder..Now tomorrow I plan on going in and cleaning up the wires and connecting to the internet to download all the new drivers..then I will start the " tweaking"...and then install FSX!    Thanks for the help so far.  We decided to get the dual 250 Samsung SSD 's as the Avsim guide recommended.  I also have the HDD for regular stuff.

-Tony

You are one lucky guy my friend, that is quite a computer you got assembled there!

I hope you have still some money left for some add-ons, because the SoCal area has great scenery in FSX, but FSX isn't a cheap hobby.

But remember, as fast as your computer might be, you always have at least some tweaking to do! There are many guides on this forum, and i suggest you look for Word Not Allowed's guide or if you don't like messing with configfiles, you could try the auto tweaking tool from ******* (the AVSim version, not the bible one)

Hi Tony/Andrew,

I just finished upgrading my "old" system and have a system similar to yours (see picture below). Replaced the MB and CPU with the same items you have. I got the Gigabyte GTX 780 w/3GB's of memory though but it is also overclocked. I was able to overclock it via the ASUS XMP Profile to 4.3GHz already. I haven't tried a manual overclock yet. It seems very stable or at least it has not crashed yet. I just finished installing FSX/Acceleration and have been running that so far. With a default FSX.cfg (AA/AF enabled) and the Nvidia default for FSX, I saw FPS moving from 150 - 275 fps (maybe 290) over Friday's Harbor. Last night I installed MegaSceneryEarth Virginia and Maryland, and MyTrafficX and fps stayed above 50 most of the time (with LOD_Radius changed from 4.5 to 6.5 and Texture Max Load from 1024 to 2048 (HD). From what I'm seeing so far, it appears to be giving me about 20 more fps than what I had with my i7 2600K and GTX580 video card. Unfortunately I will have to reinstall a lot more so I know fps will drop even more but the photoscenery graphics are very clear and I don't see any scenery rendering along the flight so far (i.e., it appears the scenery is being instantly rendered).

I also kept my Noctua NH D14 air cooler for my cpu and it fit well over the memory dimm's. So far it appears to provide adequate cooling staying around 90 degrees F.

I also have the Corsair AX850 PSU. Ample wattage for sure.

J3Ojz.jpg

Have fun putting yours together.

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Glad you are happy with  your system.  I was aware that you were on the fence with the 4770K..glad you made the jump.  The GTX780 seems like quite the card!   Quite a bit more impressive than even the 770, but then everyone is murmuring about the " new" generation of cards that will make the GTX Titan look silly, in 6 months....etc.etc.. so I decided to go with the 770.

Got the wires( cable management) done.  Looks very neat and tidy.  To be honest I was quite surprised that everything came on, first time..no problem.  All those fans, and lights etc etc..

I unplugged all the drives except the BD and the one 240 SSD , so I can load the operating system.   Loaded windows, and now I'm trying to get it onto the network(wireless) so I can update all the drivers and get Memtest, and Aida64 etc.. to start the overclocking.  Then I have to load FSX.  Does anyone have the phone number for FSX registration?  Last time it kept saying the product key was already used.

So slowly making progress.  Now that the build is done, Andrew is anxious to fly FSX..but I know we still have quite a way to go..Unfortunately I have to leave town for a few days of work..then work on it again when I'm back.

Cheers!

Tony