Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

too low terrain

fsx-activation-server-finally-dead

Hello peeps. Not the best way of making a first post, but here goes......

I'm not sure if it is just me or if anyone else is having the same problem. After having problems with fsx gold crashing when starting up, I found out that accelation was having issues with some windows update (windows 7 64bit pro). I had to uninstall acceleration, in order to find the problem.

Now that I have removed the windows update that was causing the problem, I've now reinstalled acceleration. All went fine until I fire up fsx. It comes up with the acceleration activation screen, but when I send my key info to the server, I get the message saying that it cannot connect to the server. I've checked my network connection, and checked the activation key that I was send, was correct.

This has been ongoing now for the last couple of days.

I did read the announcement made back in September last year, saying that Microsoft were stopping support for fsx.

Anyone got any ideas knowledge on this?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You should try calling the number they give, and doing phone registration. Online registration has no sympathy.

I did a fresh OS install over the weekend and then installed FSX (not Gold or acceleration, just vinilla FSX + SP1 and 2) and had no issues with online activation. 

DId you start FSX without acceleration, then activate just FSX.  Shut it down, install acceleration start FSX+Acceleration register the acceleration package?

It's worked for me not two weeks ago.  I'm not even convinced they have a maximum activation limit.

" I'm not even convinced they have a maximum activation limit." 

They do have a max amount and the only way around it is to call them no way around it, I think its 3 times and then you are out of luck - I think if you rebuild your machine you might be ok until you exhaust them again but can't remember - huge pain in the you know what  lol

Richard's right;   I have had to call MS on a couple of occasions, when activating FSX after I'd changed my PC (or on one occasion my motherboard), and had exceeded the 3 activations.

However, on all occasions, when I have called (which has been from the UK), I have still had an automated voice phone system, that asked for my code, and then said "if you have installed this software on more than 3 computers click 1, if you have installed this software on less than 3 computers, click 2".

I clicked 2 and it gave me an activation code, and I was sorted   :smile:

So, certainly when calling MS from my country for the activation, it doesn't actually involve talking to another human - just an "IVR" (interactive voice response).

They do have a max amount and the only way around it is to call them no way around it, I think its 3 times and then you are out of luck

I've activated my FSX copy at least twice that amount and I've never had to do that... Also I've done it on at least 3 different machines too.

Anyways even if FSX activation servers / the reactivation service number stopped working some day I'm sure there are other ways of getting past it, maybe a bit like the modifications that allow you to use FS9 without having the CD in disc drive all the time.

Then the limit expires or resets.  I have installed FSX probably around 7 times in the last two years or so.

Interesting, i have never had to use that in...what...6 years of using FSX, i have completely replaced my computer around 3 times, replaced hard drives at least twice a year, i always flatten and reinstall at least twice a year in addition to the above.

Done the phone call and followed the robo prompts for reset the activation codes it works. If you install it after a while it resets itself

Just did a full reinstall a week ago, no issues with activation.

As well, in total, since 2005, I have reinstalled a dozen times with no activation limit issues.

I've had to uninstall and re-install FSX at least 20 times in the years I've been developing for it, never once had an issue with activation.

The thought of having to install FSX and then all of my addons, then tweaking, etc. this many times would cause me a total mental breakdown and then my playing MS Solitaire exclusively.  Glad I have only had to do it about 3 times.

Bleeding hell, thanks everyone, didn't really expect any replies this quick!!

Right, I'll see if I can answer all replies (forgive me if I don't).

I've installed fsx gold multiple times onto the same computer, so as long as Microsoft are true on what they say about limitless activations on the same computer, as others say here, I don't think that is the problem, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Hmmm, I did think about the phone activation, I'll bear that one in mind.

Because I only uninstalled acceleration, and not fsx, I've got this awful feeling that I'm gonna have to a complete uninstall, and reinstall the whole again. I really have fogotten how many times I've done this over the years (it's bloody hurting now)!!

It's annoying that when I uninstalled acceration, I did run fsx, then run the fsx disks to do a repair. I thought that by doing this, I would reset fsx back to pre acceleration - got that one wrong!

I've currently got SP1 & 2 installed, so fsx works fine (I just need acceration to get full use out of the vrs superbug.

I think that you have answered my question about the server, so now I know that it is not the problem.

So enough of my dribble. Thanks eveyone for your contributions, I really mean it.

Don't suppose anyone is willing to reinstall everything for m,e eh? lol

Don't suppose anyone is willing to reinstall everything for m,e eh? lol

If you are close to Romford Essex then yes no problem.

I had to reinstall FSX 4 times in the past two months (because of me accidentally messing with the files and a couple of formats), and one time I did experience an error where the activation screen got stuck forever. But all the other times went fluidly.

I don't understand the 3 activation limit. I've activated FSX Deluxe with the same key more than 20 times since 2006.

@ SieraHotel. I just live just over the other side of the Thames estuary in Kent :P . Not sure if you were being serious or not, but it's o.k, I was only joking about someone else reinstalling for me. Done it soo many times, I must be a veteran by now!! :lol:

@ ChaoticBeauty. Yeah, the 3 activation limit only applies if you change your whole PC, or change any internal component inside your computer i.e; CPU, Motherboard etc. I've been down that road myself!! :unsure:

Thanks again to everyone whose made a contribution to this thread. It's good to know that there is great support on this forum.

Further to my previous post, I will do a full fsx uninstall this weekend - then try to reinstall fsx & acceleration. I'll throw in post to let everyone know how that went.

Have a good one till then peeps!

@ ChaoticBeauty. Yeah, the 3 activation limit only applies if you change your whole PC, or change any internal component inside your computer i.e; CPU, Motherboard etc. I've been down that road myself!! :unsure:

I wasn't aware of this. I've activated FSX Deluxe on 3 computers so far. So if I get a new PC, I won't be able to activate it?

The initial activation of FSX reads the BIOS on the motherboard and then gives you limitless activation on that motherboard.  As with most Microsoft past products you may also be able to install on more than one machine to a 2 or 3 limit. (New Motherboards)

As to the original request.  When you uninstall Accelerator you must do it using the Accelerator install disk (Not control panel) as the disk knows where all the registry entries are.  As is the same if you uninstall FSX (use the disc).

If the MS activation server were to cease then there would be an alternative announced by MS which we would all know about.  But I do not think that would happen..  

Oh and for Europe the help line is based in Dublin Ireland..

Hope this little input helps..  :smile:

I have installed FSX on four different PCs - two desktops and two laptops - and never has to request activation.

Incidentally, my FSX Acceleration EULA  in ..\Fliight Simulator X\Eula.html reads

b.    Portable DeviceYou may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

@James (jaydor). Thanks for your post.  Although I have pretty much built new computers over & over again, I don't think that I have changed my Motherboard more than 3 times - other components such as CPU, Memory, Hard Drives and Graphics Card, well, I've certainly changed them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fsx activation system look at your bios, to see the other internal components? I'm probably mistaken, but I thought that the activation was looking at your hardware configuration?

When it comes to uninstalling either fsx or acceleration, I always do that from the disks. I've learnt my mistake about uninstalling some software from the control panel - rare that it happens, but has. :unsure:

I think where my problem lies, is with the multiple install/ uninstall of acceleration, when I was trying to find out what was causing fsx to ctd. My guess is, something got screwed up.

Thanks again for your post James, I do appreciate it. :smile2:

@ Gerry (mgh). I'm quite suprised that you have never been asked to activate any of your installs. I take it that you are not using a cracked version? :blink:

The initial activation of FSX reads the BIOS on the motherboard and then gives you limitless activation on that motherboard.  As with most Microsoft past products you may also be able to install on more than one machine to a 2 or 3 limit. (New Motherboards)

As to the original request.  When you uninstall Accelerator you must do it using the Accelerator install disk (Not control panel) as the disk knows where all the registry entries are.  As is the same if you uninstall FSX (use the disc).

If the MS activation server were to cease then there would be an alternative announced by MS which we would all know about.  But I do not think that would happen..  

Oh and for Europe the help line is based in Dublin Ireland..

Hope this little input helps..  :smile:

I have done multiple deletes and installs over the years and never had any problem using the control panel to uninstall. Reactivation was never an issue.

Have also done a dozens of reinstalls, changed mobo, other hardware reinstalled Windows etc. I never had to call Microsoft to get it activated, it just connects and register everytime..