Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

System News & Update

I would like to update everyone regarding the system issues that appeared to crop up over this last weekend and the steps we have taken to remedy those issues to the extent that we have been able.

First, let me put this rubric to bed; the system issues WERE NOT caused by the addition or modification to the forums software. Some people like to harp about us adding functions and having things "break" when we do. That is not the case and in fact, we have not added new functionality in quite some time. If anything, we are guilty of removing TOO many functions.

We noticed issues started to crop up on the morning of June 27th; that's last Thursday, and it started just before 10:00 a.m. We noticed a barrage of hits from the Verizon system and they numbered thousands over a very short period. We have reported that activity to Verizon and have requested they let us know the result. We'll see if any of that happens.

The next thing we noticed was that there was a hundred plus attempts to crack into our Admin Control System. The crack attempts came from an IP that showed the attempts were originating in the Netherlands. We took a step that we had postponing doing simply because of the effort necessary to accomplish it; we "hid" the control system.

We have software that can sit in front of the forum software and repel DDOS attacks when we recognize them. We brought that online over the weekend as we continued to get hit. The downside to this action is that it has an impact on all users logging in from anywhere in the world. The major consequence is system slow down for everyone, but certainly faster than what was existing during the DDOS itself.

We started looking at modules as well to determine the impact they have been having and the possibility that something broke. We did a complete removal of all but the most fundamentally important modules, and what you see today in the forums is the result. We may bring some of those back online once the system stabilizes.

One of the other things we did is shut off access to all of the forum structure by GUESTS; that is, people who have not registered. We did that to lighten the load on the system as well and to give us an opportunity to measure the positive or negative aspects of that move. As of an hour ago, we have flipped the switch and have let guests back into the forums. However, over the next couple of days, we are going to be removing access by guests to certain forums to maintain a fair balance and sustained performance for our registered members.

So, as I write this, where are we? We have re-installed TapaTalk for all of the 30 or so users that access our forums daily using it. If it proves to be problematic again, we will permanently remove it and never re-install it.

We have removed various modules as indicated above and we will selectively bring back online some of those depending upon performance impact by them. We have a system now in place that looks for and prevents proxy server access, access from unidentified locations and so on.

Performance today is very good. We are not seeing the slow downs that we have seen over the last couple of days, and we are keeping an eye on accesses and locations.

Okay, so that is where we stand at the moment.

It is running fine now in the UK

Thanks Tom for your vigilance. Things seem to be working fine from NZ

Matthew Kane

Thanks for the update(minus the tapatalk jab). After using the mobile site for a day I would still say that tapatalk is a much better way to navigate through the forums. I'm sure the "30" of us appreciate it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

(minus the tapatalk jab)

It is not a "jab"; it is a fact. Less than 40 unique users use Tapatalk every day. If you dismiss it as a jab, you dismiss this as a legitimate issue. I would caution you not to do that.

post-100001-0-14790800-1372873399.jpg

It is not a "jab"; it is a fact. Less than 40 unique users use Tapatalk every day. If you dismiss it as a jab, you dismiss this as a legitimate issue. I would caution you not to do that.

Forgive me. I was not trying to dismiss the legitimacy of the problem. I figured that out of the thousands of members of this site that more than 30 users would be using Tapatalk. Apparently I was wrong. The original statement came across as flippant and I replied the same way. The caution part feels a little harsh also but I guess I'll let that go. Keep up the good work and I hope you can find a solution to the problem.

Tom, I and I am sure a lot of other members appreciate the efforts being extended to provide all of the members the best possible response performance. Thanks for your efforts. It is still taking longer than it had in the past for the initial page to load so that we can sign in. Is there something still out there causing that other than just slow/busy internet? The forums and the AVSIM Library are two of the most important capabilities that I as a member rely upon. The help I have received from the forums and the AVSIM Library have/are EXTREMELY important and helpful. :good:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Still bugged down here in Western Canada, Tom. So keep at it please. We need Avsim uppity beat back again.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Notice it getting slower again also. After Tapatalk turned back on. Coincidental maybe.

Thanks for the update Tom and AVSIM. The janitor is doing a fine job. :Cuppa:

Regards to all,

Mel

:united-states-flag:

At a crawl here. Takes several minutes to load a page. Been that way for almost two days. Also takes several minutes to get to the main page when navigating here. Noticed it is even worse on my mobile devices (iPad iPhone). I do not use Tapatalk. 

Regards,

Joe Esposito

I do note that in any Google search queries on flightsim-related stuff, avsim often comes up first; could this affect performance? I'd imagine that would be a problem particularly if anyone (or any company) had search bots set up to generate daily feeds and updates for data mining.

Since the flood came from Verizon, I'd be paranoid and suspect Microsoft.... worrying about what Win 8.1's current incompatibility with FSX might do to their sales. But no, that's just toooo paranoid.... :)

Anyways, thanks for re-enabling Tapatalk, it's a pleasure to have it back, but if it's killing the forum, I'll live without it for sure.

Notice it getting slower again also. After Tapatalk turned back on. Coincidental maybe.

And it is getting worse since the last time I posted about it.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

I don't normally come in via the Front Door, so would have missed this.

But I still have forum access issues from where I sit, so came looking.

Goodonya for warding off the attacks.

Many might have succumbed. 

Glad to hear it's not something I did that caused my problem, and glad the matter is in good hands.

I hope it can get speedy resolution, my daily AVSIM fix is being disturbed here...