Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Why the Slows?

I have also noticed some slowness loading pages from Avsim.  Traceroute and ping times from Tacoma, Washington to Avsim are about 90-100 ms which seems good.  The slowness loading must be an issue the with type of servers Avsim is running or their Apache web site needs tuning.  It takes a lot of horsepower (read $$$) to overcome slowness when many users are accessing the site.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

It was fine for the first time in days when I first logged in about 45 minutes ago .............. now it has come to a grinding halt! Wierd to say the least.

Really bad this morning, plus I can only log on to any given topic for which I receive updates notices by going through the basic bookmark link, not the direct link in topic notifications.  While I am sure that the powers that be are trying to get things squared away, sure would be nice to hear that someone is doing something to try and fix this mess.  Right now it kind of feels like we're out here in the darkness all alone in our little group.

I'm also getting a bunch of RAAS postings showing up on the front page as "the latest forum topics" but they date back a few months, and aren't at all recent ....

Weird stuff that might be related to Tom's recent note about his SQl db going pear shaped: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413198-sorry-about-that-folks/

These DoS attacks and now this, makes me realise how much I visit this site.

Danny Hicks

Like the rest of you I have had a frustrating time over the last week or so trying to even get into the site.  I decided to try keeping myself logged in and viola!   I am no longer having any problems by remaining logged in.  I have no idea why this is working.  When I tried to get in before it required me to log in before I could even view any posts so out of frustration I have not signed off when leaving the site.  I don't know if there is a downside to this(?)  I have no speed issues with any other forum but I understand that this forum has become intensely busy and must require powerful server to accommodate all the viewers/posters simultaneously.

I decided to try keeping myself logged in and viola! I am no longer having any problems by remaining logged in.

Glad that works for you, but I logged on to the forums several years ago and have never logged off and I've really got the slows.  I'm afraid to log off to see what happens.

At least half a day trying to get onto the site,  finally 19.30.    I will not bother again its to frustrating.

For all the ######in and moaning about tapatalk ... it works better with avsim than my desktop lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

@ Dan:

That's amazing and I just got back on when I saw your quote.  It brought me into this thread instantly!  I really don't understand what is going on.  It only happened after AVSIM upgraded.  Staying logged on is working for me for whatever reason,  maybe just a quirk of some sort.

For all the ######in and moaning about tapatalk ... it works better with avsim than my desktop lol

Absolutely! Tapatalk has been very quick thoughout all this. I use about 95% of the time to access the forums.

Hi all,

Like Dan I never log off , and today is slower than yesterday.I just want to know if is me and can I fix the problem. I am starting to miss the site.

bobb

Good Lord!!  Worked fast hot and true for me at 7:00a.m.!!

Still up at 7;30.  I'm betting the tech guys are happier than I am.  I really missed not being able to cruise the forums for the past week.  Thanks guys