Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dillon

Best FS9 Virtual cockpit

Saw this for FSX and thought what's the best one for FS9. I'd have to say the QualityWings 'BAE Avro RJ' only because it's the only aircraft in FS9 where you can see shadows the aircraft is making on the ground from within the VC. Another thing once only thought possible in FSX.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Interesting question - tough call to make. It's hard to disagree about the 146 but the upgraded VC for the iFly 737 would also be a candidate. Among freeware, and very close to the absolute top, I'd put the Section8 F86 and Isra Mirage III.

For me the mark of great cockpit design is when you can go from VC to 2D and there's no significant difference in the panel. That is especially true with the F86....

Cheers

Ian

If we are strickly speaking about the visuals yes the QW bird is hard to beat...except for the VC gauge refresh rate (to me that's part of the visuals).  However for me the "VC experience" also includes system simulation.  If a bunch of switches are just eye candies I'm not going to have a great time in that VC ^_^

I agree Jason. Score another one for the F86 and Mirage - everything functions and no discernible performance hit or slow gauge refresh rate...

In my hangar the winner of overall best VC experience is, without any doubt, the Queen.

All worthy birds however the AirSimmer just shades them in my opinion. 

The Leonardo Maddog has recently been upgraded and may well be a candidate (my example keeps crashing on selection and I have yet to investigate ... too lazy.)  Anyone prepared to comment?

The Leonardo Maddog has recently been upgraded and may well be a candidate?

The only "recent" maddog update I'm aware of is a minor one, which does not address anything visual at all?

I'll also go with the freeware Section F8 F-86 Sabre. The VC (as well as the rest of the aircraft) is definitely the one that most makes me think I am in a real aircraft instead of a simulated one!

... it's the only aircraft in FS9 where you can see shadows the aircraft is making on the ground from within the VC.

Really?  That's you're top priority for best virtual cockpit?  Very insightful, indeed.

Really?  That's you're top priority for best virtual cockpit?  Very insightful, indeed.

Thank you. Now tell me what other VC in FS9 has this feature. Many equally look good but give me some unique feature only thought possible in FSX. This thread was only about visuals not functionality in case you missed that part.

This thread was only about visuals not functionality in case you missed that part.

Are you sure about that?  I don't see it mentioned in the topic title below: Best FS9 Virtual cockpit

Also, I see that others who have responded have mentioned functions in their assessment.  But I see your point, who needs to include functionality in their assessment of "best FS9 virtual cockpit" when you can see your shadow out the window.

As to how many other VCs giving you the ability to see your aircraft shadow out the window ..... none .... I wonder why?

Hey now, it's perfectly OK for you to choose this feature as your primary criteria for choosing this as the "best FS9 virtual cockpit".

Very insightful.  Very insightful, indeed

He's gone

:lol:    Anyone care to talk 2D panels?

Only shadow I see is when the wife walks up behind me and says,,, you playing pretend pilot again..  :blink:

RJ

Again, whatever has a consistent look and works well.

Are you sure about that? I don't see it mentioned in the topic title below: Best FS9 Virtual cockpit

Also, I see that others who have responded have mentioned functions in their assessment. But I see your point, who needs to include functionality in their assessment of "best FS9 virtual cockpit" when you can see your shadow out the window.

As to how many other VCs giving you the ability to see your aircraft shadow out the window ..... none .... I wonder why?

Hey now, it's perfectly OK for you to choose this feature as your primary criteria for choosing this as the "best FS9 virtual cockpit".

Very insightful. Very insightful, indeed

He's gone

Maybe I wasn't clear but for the sake of this thread staying on topic let's advance the discussion to all around functionality and visuals. Now I'd have to say the PMDG MD-11 is right at the top next comes the iFly 737 then the PMDG 744. I was only talking visuals because the list would be too long for all around features. When you get into GA there's Dreamfleet, Aeroworx, and the list goes on from there.

3Green, on 11 Jul 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

:lol: Anyone care to talk 2D panels?

Only shadow I see is when the wife walks up behind me and says,,, you playing pretend pilot again.. :blink:

RJ

I'm in the same boat...

AirSimmer!

+1

(and if QualityWings had decided to do the 787 for FS9 as well, it would be theirs, hands down!)

Airsimmer A320 is miles ahead, then the QW Avro. PMDG 744 is in the same group of leaders.

Airsimmer A320 is miles ahead, then the QW Avro. PMDG 744 is in the same group of leaders.

I was talking about add-ons that actually worked for most users. This bird never worked and support couldn't figure out the problem short of saying it was on my end (every other add-on FS9 aircraft works with no problem by the way). This add-on may work for some like FSX but it was never fully realized.

Since we're throwing good looking duds out there SSW's A310 was nice to look at as well and just like Airsimmer it actually worked for some people...

Actually there is a pinned guide on Airsimmer forums about how to install A320. No problems if you folow this

I would - respectfully - differ on this Airsimmer debate. Version 1.4 works and I don't think that anyone has a precise statistic about how many users can't use it, the same would apply to a number of excellent add-ons such as - for example - Leonardo Maddog (which I did not mention due to its less than appealing VC design but that will be improved in the future) that had a number of detractors because of its specificities and resource demand, not to mention sometimes a sketchy or absent support. It remains that Maddog is one of the very best simulation ever made for FS9 and FSX.

I also used SSW A310 for a number of years successfully and still have it on my HD, but because it has no VC to speak of (it is not functional), I would not list it in this "good looking" VC thread! :lol:

It is statistically interesting to see that two add-ons that did not work for you worked fine for me...

Jean-Claude, on 12 Jul 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

I also used SSW A310 for a number of years successfully and still have it on my HD, but because it has no VC to speak of (it is not functional), I would not list it in this "good looking" VC thread! :lol:

It is statistically interesting to see that two add-ons that did not work for you worked fine for me...

SSW's A310 had a non clickable VC. The VC actually looked very nice and the add-on as a whole would have been great if they got all the bugs taken care of.

I was talking about add-ons that actually worked for most users

Dillion, with respect, have another look at your originating post.

As a recent (five months) returnee to AirSimmer both Basic and Extended Team aka Advanced,  I can only agree with the sentiments expressed by both B247NG and Jean-Claude.

There IS real help if you care to seek it ... including the prospect of 1 to 1 remote to resolve issues by Flex1978 (Rob Prest.).

Cheers mate.

Dillion, with respect, have another look at your originating post.

As a recent (five months) returnee to AirSimmer both Basic and Extended Team aka Advanced,  I can only agree with the sentiments expressed by both B247NG and Jean-Claude.

There IS real help if you care to seek it ... including the prospect of 1 to 1 remote to resolve issues by Flex1978 (Rob Prest.).

Cheers mate.

I tried to get help from Rob but he was in Dubai at the time. I gave up as the product never worked right since I've had Windows 7 installed. He stated there were issues with my joystick config file and was looking at working with that. I've had numerous revisions to my setup since my HD crashed a few years ago. I was able to bring everything back but there may be some dead entries here and there from changing hardware over the years. I haven't had time for Rob to sort everything out and he was too busy at the time to work with me on this (we kept missing each other). Since then I've been diving deeper into the many aircraft and scenery I've not looked at much over the years. With this lag in FS9 development and the state of the community I've had time to re-discover my many add-ons I've purchased over the years. The point is Airsimmer for me was not like every other add-on I have where you just install it and it works plus many have put it down for this very reason over the years. It worked in XP but not in 7.

Since you guys are basically pulling out all the stops to say this add-on is now prime time I may have to take a third look. SSW's A310 is still a dud, I don't care what anyone says on that...

It worked in XP but not in 7.

I am still running XP but since support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014 I will have to consider what to update to.

My biggest concern is that in both FSX and FS9 I have never had an OOM error and lately no CTD's, yet since the arrival of Windows 7 I see the Flight Sim forums loaded with people having these sort of problems. Windows 8 seems to be even more problematic, so what is the solution?

My plans are to never leave Windows XP until such time I move to FSX or hardware no longer supports XP. The hardware not supporting XP is my only real concern at this point in time. This thread has me concerned now too. As for support from Microsoft stopping in 2014, no big deal. I'll use FS9 as long as I can, and hope for a new Sim in the future skipping FSX.

RJ