Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Petition: Rehire ACES studios and resume work on Flight Simulator 11

P3D is the way to go.

What about those of us who fly for entertainment?

What about those of us who fly for entertainment?

Teach your cat to fly.

Teach your cat to fly.

:lol:

Thus, being able to purchase the educational version of P3D.   Like your thinking Jim.

The credit card payment probably needs to go through in the cat's name though.  :wink:

Online petitions is one of the most useless things one can do.

1y329d.jpg

I signed, but this petition is waaay too optimistic. Better that than too pessimistic though. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

The problem with all of this is that Microsoft does not see our hobby the way 'we' do. For all they care they would prefer us to take up a new hobby that requires their latest and greatest operating system et cetera, and something they can continue to profit from repeatedly. Their business model is so far removed from being concerned with the user or private sector wishes that they are oblivious to any wants and desires other than supporting their business model. They floated their attempt to meld their business model with a flying entertainment simulator and promptly shot the boat full of holes, sank it, and quit. (Flight). The only good they did by accident was a profit move by selling to L.M. giving us the P3D option. The only way MS will change its course is with a major management restructure and a new business model. I'm not holding my breath on that one! I believe our best hope is in some other direction by a group who looks at what was successful about FS and applies that to a new more modern core system.

Regards to all,

Mel

Teach your cat to fly.

I have one that flies, the takeoffs are nice but the landings are awful and tend to rearrange the furniture. BTW the other two just taxi around.

What versions of FS did Aces work on?

All of them.

Mel

It would be more productive to petition MS to open-source FSX so the community can work on it.

EDIT: "productive" is the wrong word. Maybe "realistic"?. Anyway, MS isn't going to restart Aces if they don't see a business case.

Barry Friedman

It would be more productive to petition MS to open-source FSX so the community can work on it.

EDIT: "productive" is the wrong word. Maybe "realistic"?. Anyway, MS isn't going to restart Aces if they don't see a business case.

Now that would be something to look forward to!

Leaving aside the value of online petitions in general, if you're going to do any sort of petition to a business and expect to be taken seriously, then be prepared to make a business case, not an emotional one.  Sorry but to be blunt I'd have a hard time putting my name to a petition to a business containing phrases about fans who "cried out in agony".

Scott

Sorry but to be blunt I'd have a hard time putting my name to a petition to a business containing phrases about fans who "cried out in agony".

Yep, I'm with you Brother!  ...........That's where I bailed.

Petitions are better placed for pushing for changes in government policy and practice .... like here is the UK, if a goverment petition reaches 100,000 signatures, it must be given debating time in the Houses of Parliament.

But MS deciding to re-invest in FS .......... after their experience with FLIGHT! ......??

Never going to happen.

I think that is incorrect and here is why:

Throughout the various versions of FS various thinsg were changed, some for the good some not so good and through the use of this and other Forums the shoutrang out to fix things and when it got loud enough it fianly reached the right ears at MS and the fixes were made.

I.e; the shadows were removed from FS2K after beta when it was released and after many pleas from the community they were returned via a patch, there are other examples.

But yeah, its a long shot likely not to be heard if that's what you are saying.

I think that is incorrect and here is why:

Throughout the various versions of FS various thinsg were changed, some for the good some not so good and through the use of this and other Forums the shoutrang out to fix things and when it got loud enough it fianly reached the right ears at MS and the fixes were made.

I.e; the shadows were removed from FS2K after beta when it was released and after many pleas from the community they were returned via a patch, there are other examples.

But yeah, its a long shot likely not to be heard if that's what you are saying.

There's a HUGE difference between listening to customers and undertaking product maintenance, improvement, developement, and innovations ..................... and re-investing in a market that you have completely and wholly exited; assets sold (FSX), expertise laid off, and even buildings sold!

There's just no comparison between what you're describing, and a petition to get Microsoft to say "oh, ok then" and spend $100m on the flight sim market again.        Just never going to happen.

P3D development is as close as it gets, albeit that it's for commercial use, but as we know, many have bought into the "educational" licences.

assets sold (FSX)

I think you meant "assets sold (ESP)"