Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Hodgson

Not impressed with Global

Tom, a few days ago we had a Dominic Smith from the UK (who is affiliated with FScene), post a very scathing negative review about FTX Global on the flightsimstore.com product page. A quick investigation found that he did not own nor had purchased the product. He then contacted the store and asked for his 'review' to be removed, which Adrian did.

Perhaps an over-zealous defence of another ground texture product?

I am absolutely incensed though, that he would stoop to impersonate the lead singer of one of my all time favourite bands. Some things are sacred! :)

Alas, disparaging competitors products is commonplace in the online economy, as is endorsing your own projects!

Fortunately, in a community as close (or small?) as ours, the truth will out - and quality products will always be above this petty maneuvering simply because flight simmers are a nitpicky bunch!

If a product gets a lot more positive feedback as FTXG it will be good no matter what a subgroup of the hobby says!

You just can't make everybody happy ...

The main issue as always in product comments on forum is that you never know if negative comments are not posted by competitor's house staff....  (see how many forumers are paid by big mobile companies to post positive comments on new products...)

too much, too soon....

In 2,000 years, this thread will be considered The Bible of a new religion called "Efftee-Exgeeology", and people will recite this whole thread word for word in dome like buildings, with huge mural paintings of John Venema, and the lead singer of Supertramp on the roof.

C'mon, you know it's going to happen... a thread like this can't remain non-sacred for long!

:smile:

Ye Gods... Supertramp.......

That Autogen mystery has to do with something I've forgotten from a former life and career, having to do with the 3D object not getting assigned info in memory about its relationship to the mathematically-defined 3d surface. Happens in 3D game development all the time, and is a beastly bugger to resolve for all cases. And yes, if a pointer or summat goes skipped in RAM, zoom! Off into the ether, in some cases spinning.

There are some hilarious videos on YouTube that demonstrate this effect, for the game, "Oblivion" (what we all seek, eh? Clever marketing there in that title, eh?). Search for them, perhaps under the phrase, "game fails."

I'm not surprised to hear OP might be a jealous competitor. We here in the West haven't seen much of this phenomenon, but in China, where the Internet audience and digital marketing is hugely larger than it is here - fellows, hold your egos in check for a moment, and bear with me - companies have literally armies of hired bloggers who diss each others' warez online, in ferocious wars of political persuasion in Mandarin. Not just for software. ANYTHING online. It's become part of doing business. Trolling as commercial competition. Terrifying, yes?

I'm sure we'll catch up some day, so above all, keep your humor.

You shouldn't be on a downer. You decided to leave DreamTheater of your own accord, nobody forced you :lol:

Haha true!. I think we can safely say this thread has been thouroughly hijacked...lol. So any inside scoops on the release date for the LC packs? 2013-2014 is not a good answer.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

i was "not impresed" many times by many products. But i never posted that, "just to mention this"...

BTW, FTX global is excelent and much better then UTX and GEX  :P

Um UTX has nothing to do with this. It just adds roads, rivers, lakes, missing towns, reorganises cities and corrects coastlines. Oh and they repositioned a collection of airports too if I'm not mistaken.

Then you choose textures. FSX default, GEX or FTXG. For north america I like the color palette of FTXG. I never liked GEX. I own it. Uninstalled it long ago. But this is only one mans preference.

C.

This is exaclty why I do not buy your products any longer. It is sad that you could care less...

Sorry to break it to you but most CEO's could care less how you personally feel about them. So if you base your buying decision on that alone, you'll end up living like the Amish.

I buy from ORBX because I like their products (warts and all) not because their staff gave me a hot oil massage while complimenting me on my hair.

C.

Ah I missed this thread when it was on fire, only discovered it now. Get back in the ring guys, there's still scores to settle  :lol:

Haha true!. I think we can safely say this thread has been thouroughly hijacked...lol. So any inside scoops on the release date for the LC packs? 2013-2014 is not a good answer.

Last I saw on the ORBX forums was where J.V. stated that he won't give any release dates but that openLC Europe will be released before the end of the year. 

I'm hoping they can get North America done before the end of the year as well. 

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

FTX global cost same like only 2 GEX (or UTX) regions... To cover whole world with GEX would be at least 230$(and this is not whole world, some regions are "coming soon" - additional purchase, of course). Now, how much cost to cover allmost whole world with GEX + UTX? UTX has approximately same price like GEX, so at least 500$!

And if you want to install this in P3D you need to buy separate version which is the same, but you need to pay twice! Do you still think FTX global is expensive?

LOL! would not be the first time...

UTX is optional but I agree. Like you i wonder why no one complained about GEX prices? They sell textures for the planet as 6 separate purchases. Total price to cover the planet as of right now with GEX is $240. FTXG is $91. ORBX will most definatley be improving the product with service packs. Anyone who's owns their regions know that.

If you find an issue somewhere, post it in their support forum and ask... Please address this issue in a patch. Thanks. As long as that fix falls within the physical ability of the product, it likely will be corrected in the first service pack.

If you find a purple mountain in FTXG, they will fix it. If your missing a bridge or town or lake in FTXG, they cannot with this product as that is not what it does. That is UTX from another developer. If grass is supposed to be sand or a jungle was supposed to be agriculture or a forest was supposed to be rocks, it cannot be fixed with FTXG. They have explained that 1000 times in a half dozen threads. You need a land class product to fix that. OpenLC will be their version of one. But like UTX is available for vector corrections, there are already 3rd party land class products you are free to purchase or wait for openLC.

If someone is content with default FSX, don't buy anything. :-)

C.

UTX is optional but I agree. Why has no one complained about GEX prices? They sell textures for the planet as 6 separate purchases. Total price to cover the planet as of right now with GEX is $240. FTXG is $91. There's a big gap in cost right there. ORBX will most definatley be improving the product with service packs. Anyone who's owns their regions know that.

If you find an issue somewhere, post it in their support forum and ask... Can you address this in a patch. Thanks. As long as that fix falls within the physical ability of the product, it likely will be corrected in the first service pack.

If you find a purple mountain in FTXG, they will fix it. If your missing a bridge or town in FTXG, they cannot with this product as that is not what it does. That is UTX from another developer. If grass is supposed to be sand, it cannot be fixed with FTXG. They have explained that 1000 times in a half dozen threads. You need a land class product. OpenLC will be their version of one. But like UTX is available for vector corrections, there are already 3rd party land class products you are free to purchase or wait for openLC.

If someone is content with default FSX, don't buy anything. :-)

C.

C.

Yes, i forgot yesterday that UTX is a different and i should not include it in that post. I worked in marketing and i was a little bit angry about that straregy used against FTX... that was very ugly... But everything about GEX is valid.

I agree with all other points you made 

Sorry to break it to you but most CEO's could care less how you personally feel about them

Couldn't care less, guys. The term is "couldn't care less" :rolleyes:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sorry to break it to you but most CEO's could care less how you personally feel about them. So if you base your buying decision on that alone, you'll end up living like the Amish.

I buy from ORBX because I like their products (warts and all) not because their staff gave me a hot oil massage while complimenting me on my hair.

C.

Sorry to break it to you. I never once asked for a "hot oil massage" and you obviously have no idea what I am talking about here.

I too think ORBX make fantastic products, I owned all of them up to a point and never had an issue with any of them. But during that xmas sale fiasco a couple years back enough was enough. A BIG ORBX slap to loyal and supportive customers directly in the face and then they have a meltdown when asked about why it was this way, then to proceed by telling customers that "this is the way it is" and you "could care less what they think", well, it was like watching an arrogant, spoiled child throw a tantrum. I will spend my money elsewhere thank you.

And this was not an employee that acted this way. This was coming from the very top.

Very unprofessional and childish. Certainly not the way Aerosoft would act I assure you, and I only mention this because Aerosoft head guy was mentioned as being similar in this very thread(Aerosoft had an issue very similar to the ORBX xmas sale fiasco at the exact same time with the BroncoX and Aerosoft took care of it in a very professional matter)

So please, do not get me confused with some disgruntled customer throwing a tantrum over on the ORBX forums. I never once complained to them about anything, but I do see how customers get treated and the poor attitude and contempt shown towards them.

Enjoy your products & I hope you never have an issue with ORBX.

I hate to burst your bubble but our annual revenues have continued to grow exponentially since the "Xmas fiasco" (which incidentally was simply a post-Christmas sale that 99% of all businesses worldwide do at that time of year).

I am sorry that you took things personally and stopped being an Orbx customer but it did not affect us, nor will it affect us going forward. I respect it is your choice to do so, but I am amazed it is still being spoken about some two years later as though it was a major turning point in our company's fortunes and we are forever doomed to fail because we have such poor customer relations.

It's all about the products guys. My ego is not big enough to think it's about me; I am just one person in a team, and we're proud of what we do.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png