Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

FSX - The Beast I Could Not Slay

There you go @ 1000ft climb

th_fps_zps8a6753b7.png

i52500k OC 4400

GTX 560ti

FORGET THESE NUMBERS!

I never touch my sliders except for the one time yesterday when I was testing something and they were at 50% and I forgot

just re did the take off and its around 30FPS. so dont worry your not going crazy

ZORAN

Banking towards KDFW at 2300 feet. Av FPS 21, instantaneous 23. That's with my 3-year-old machine (see spec), that's about to be replaced.

Having said that, I can't shed any light on your problem, and hope that my new machine will do better.

Petraeus

Me and my overclocked Q9450 chuckled all the way through the first post. We might burst into evil laughter upon our next approach into JFK on an overcast day at 12 FPS.

If you can attain more than 20 FPS at JFK/EWR/LGA or KORD while running 100% traffic on a very cloudy day, your system is just fine.

FPS in-flight on a clear day mean absolutely nothing.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

For a few months i've been planning to upgrade to a new pc to run FSX. Saved up for months to a budget of $2000 thinking this should be plenty for a sweet computer to run it well. How wrong I was.

I'm not spending $5000 just to get this sim to run well enough to play like any other modern game, so i think i'll just stick to FS9 thanks.

Well, I've never had the means to plunk down 5 grand on a PC. I've had to employ the" insanity from a thousand cuts" method LOL! Specifically, building 5 Flight Sim dedicated PC's (so far) since the late 90's. I feel your pain bro!! all for the elusive 25+ FPS on short final in my PMDG NGX,747,MD-11(take your pick) into KORD,EGLL,KJFK (take your pick) with whatever frame hungry add on software running in the background REX,Aerosoft,ORBX,Traffic360 (take your pick). Great, well written, and entertaining post. Regards

I'm sorry I don't have much to add to this post... but I have to say it... LOVED THE WRITING SIR! Thoroughly enjoying!

Highmemfix is a must (if you have not)

FFTF should be .1 at the lowest (not .01 unless that was a typo)

REX clouds can also be to blame. Try a lower resolution (if you have not). With REX water and cloud texture I also try the DXT optimized clouds...

I'm interested to hear more of this epic saga! Let us know how you are progressing!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Well, I've never had the means to plunk down 5 grand on a PC. I've had to employ the" insanity from a thousand cuts" method LOL!

True that, Adam!

True... reference most the vids on you tube... they can run 1/2 speed sim rate, then speed it up with the recording tools... at 1/2 time compression you'll get ultra smooth perf and fps.

I perform no such cheating with my videos ;) ... mine are "as is" with minimal editing with compression and resize being the only real adjustments.

Low, legend says, that K-Man, after having such dreams of epic fun, did go forth and throw nearly $5000 out upon a Rig of Legendary Epicness.

Sadly, not very legendary ... take a look at Maximum PC's 2013 build ... $16,585.  You are merely a foot soldier ;)

I'm still a bit baffled why someone builds a $5000 PC without a SSD. I mean, shouldn't that be a core element of every half-decent build?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

For REX:

DXT5 clouds with a lower resolution.

DXT1 wave animation (if using 2x water in FSX)

This is exactly the reason we give optimization options to folks.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Relax..people are not flying about at max settings on any pc with 30 fps with all the addons. It's simply not possible. Compromise is the key.

-Iain Watson-

I'm still a bit baffled why someone builds a $5000 PC without a SSD. I mean, shouldn't that be a core element of every half-decent build?

Actually, I did have two SSD drives.   I had a Samsung PRO and Mushkin.   THe Mushkin 120 did the OS and the Samsung did FSX.    Then I listened to a few 'GURU' types that said SSD drives can damage performance.    In this case, the guy said when he replaced his SSDs and went with a RAID configured pair of Raptor drives his FPS performance shot way up in FSX.    On reinstall #4 of 6 I pulled out the SSDs and reinstalled the entire OS and then FSX and saw absolutely NO difference.   Sadly... I sold both of my SSD drives.    At least I didn't lose by 10% off each drive sell.

For REX:

DXT5 clouds with a lower resolution.

DXT1 wave animation (if using 2x water in FSX)

This is exactly the reason we give optimization options to folks.

I am using 1024 clouds and water with DXT5 and DXT1 on.  Those options are on by default in REX.  I never changed them.    Those thick clouds just still beat my FPS into submission.   I was able to recover some FPS by turning AA down in Nvidia Inspector.   I know this.   On a partly cloudy or overcast day, even on this super rig, I cannot have 100 mile draw distance on.  I have to pull it back to 70 or 60 or the frame drop becomes unbearable with PMDG running.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

No idea what is going on with your machine (I am running FSX on an Asus G74 laptop [!]),  but your OP had me laughing out loud,  thank you for that.

Well I tried at DX10 mode and it gave me back 4 FPS over DFW and GREATLY enhanced the smoggy look and feel.    But the FSX payware industry appears to thumb it's nose at DX10 and add-ons seem to explode and catch fire in DX10.    Case in point, the brand new shiny awesomeness that is FTX Global decided that little black boxes everywhere was better than actual 3D lights.  This issue is known to ORBX and they are working on a patch to correct the lights' alpha maps being broken.   I wonder how many more add-ons I own are going to vomit all over the screen in DX10?

I also have MAJOR issue now in Virtual Cockpit that perhaps one of you mighty gurus can answer before I spend 500 hours on trying to find this next fix.

In virtual cockpit in the PMDG... I can't click on anything anymore.      If I do... the game goes into Window MODE and THEN it let's me click on the dials and buttons.   If I ALT-ENTER and force it BACK into full screen mode then all the cockpit button pushes and wheels stop working again and any CLICKING with the mouse makes the game go BACK into Window mode again.  W...T....F....?    What sick joke is this that DX10 suddenly makes all the world so beautiful yet all the functionality a clown show?

UPDATE:  Fixed the cockpit problem.   Switching to DX10 for some reason made FSX set my Screen Resolution to a weird non-standard resolution and it also changed my FPS limiter to 25 from 30.    Nix that performance boost I mention earlier.   That was because of the screen resolution.   It's the same but the picture does look better.

I am noticing on my GPU Tweak monitoring software that the GPU runs pretty much continuously at 100% Usage.   This is a sign of bottleneck.   Why can't it keep up?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Great comedy writing K-Man. :lol:

Sorry I can't help with your fps, I only use E6850 and ATI HD 7???, I have a bit of fun though.

Michael