Sign in to follow this  
w6kd

A Quantum Leap in long-haul flying

Tired of wasting time cruising over the vast oceanic and polar reaches in your simulated 747, MD-11, 777, etc?

I've written, and released to the AVSIM library, a small utility program that allows you to warp an FSX plane at cruise ahead to a future point on your flight plan. It allows you to select a named fix or enter coordinates plus a time of arrival, and transport the airplane in its current configuration to that position and time.

For example, you can take your loaded-to-the-gills B777 from Sydney headed to Los Angeles, fly the heavyweight takeoff and departure and get yourself established in cruise. But rather than waiting for 15 hours (or a couple of hours at 16x accelerated flight), you can transport yourself ahead, quark-like, to a point on your route a couple hundred miles off the California coast at the time you'd expect to arrive there, and fly the arrival/descent and landing without the mind-numbing boredom of the long-term droning. (You will have to reset your fuel manually at the leap-ahead point, though).

Another example...you want to fly a polar crossing in your B747 from Seoul to Detroit, but know that FSX will yakk on you like a vodka-chugging frat pledge once you get above 85 deg latitude. Solution? Leap across the pole!

With thousands of hours under my belt flying a military transport at cruise over the vast wastelands of the planet, I hope to spare some of you that butt pain. ;-)

Quantum Leap V1.1 is in the library now: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=179703

Regards

• Upvote 5

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

WOW!

This sounds really exciting Bob.   Guess where I'm heading straight to .......... the AVSIM Library!

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts in making such a superb, useful tool.

thnaks for this, but i have lots of fun using time acceleration instead.

Would probs use this tool for those butt aching got to land now flights

cheers

This utility sounds really great. However I should say that don't forget if you already own a certain other application, :smile: you can already do this with fuel and time depleted, and corrected for time zone and weather adjusted and other options.

• Upvote 1

I like the title of the utility!  That alone is exciting stuff!  :Big Grin:  Thanks Bob for the contribution. 

Best regards,

Jim

Bob, thanks for your continuing contributions to the community. This sounds like a great one. Now, can I ask you to even this score out a bit with the PMDG T7 for me?

Takeoffs = 127,

Successful Landings = 0,

Ugly Bone Crusher not landings = 1.

B)

Bob, thanks for your continuing contributions to the community. This sounds like a great one. Now, can I ask you to even this score out a bit with the PMDG T7 for me?

Takeoffs = 127,

Successful Landings = 0,

Ugly Bone Crusher not landings = 1.

B)

Tom

Just change your name to We Tu Lo, slap that logbook summary on a resume to Asiana and you could come out of retirement!

...dang, that was my out-loud voice again, wunnit? :-O

Cheers

• Upvote 3

Just change your name to We Tu Lo, slap that logbook summary on a resume to Asiana and you could come out of retirement!

...dang, that was my out-loud voice again, wunnit? :-O

No, no, no... You don't get it Bob. I need you to create a utility that overcomes the fact that I have closed my eyes on approach. :Praying:

I really like this, Bob, and thanks.

If only I could use it with Radar Contact...or can I?

Anybody else using RC wanna think it through?

You could use it, then request "direct to" . I have had to do that using Auto Cruise on the T7

• Upvote 1

Sounds like MS Flight "skip to waypoint".

Yes, and I am looking forward to using it (if my earlier messages seemed to confuse that fact)...

No, no, no... You don't get it Bob. I need you to create a utility that overcomes the fact that I have closed my eyes on approach. :Praying:

:Idea: I've got a go back 20 seconds button for when I crash :blush:

:Idea: I've got a go back 20 seconds button for when I crash :blush:

I am afraid I might need more like 2 minutes. :lol:

• Upvote 2

...I see your point. Come to think of it, 20 seconds is around the time of the final screams from the passengers on my flights. lol

Landings shouldn't be a problem; it's just a question of having a good co-pilot

Well, that explains things. My CP is a cat. She sucks as a co-pilot... In fact, she can be down right ugly when I mess up. :ph34r:

• Upvote 3

How will this affect the FMS waypoints, fuel and zulu time (VA Acars etc)?

Thanks.

Tom, ever thought of recruiting your cat as a moderator! :lol:   She looks like she could resolve any disputes pretty unambiguously! 

In fact even just posting a pic of her whenever someone's bisbehavin' would probably have the desired effect....  :lol:

• Upvote 2

Great add-on Bob!

We did have that in PS1, exactly waypoint-based, and the 744 would jump to that waypoint with all of the simulation variables properly time-warped :-)

I'm downloading it right now :-)  THX!!!

It's all there in FSNav, but it is one of the many reasons why we stick to FS9!

Those of us that continue to use FS9/FSNav will know that once you have taken off you can, if you so desire it, move your aircraft to another point in the flight plan; then listen to all the waypoint changes (ding, ding, ding, etc) and monitor that the aircraft's altitude, speed and fuel have changed, too!

Sauviat

Chris--I wrote and tested it with RC V4 in mind. Just get ATC to give you a clearance direct the waypoint you want to warp to before you make the jump to light speed.

Cheers