Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

rex direct experience

I am hesitating to buy from this famous product line. (I purchased REX E+ just when it came out 5 years ago). My main concern is OOM. From all what I have read in this thread and on the REX homepage the most benefit for immersion would be the usage of HD textures. As I prefer to fly complex airliners between large airports (like AS Mega Airports or FSDT's US series) I see no chance to set TML to 2048 or better to 4096. Does it then really make sense?

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Check this out...

11507147254_4845d57648_o.jpg

11507148884_47103f505f_o.jpg

Stunning Adi! Is that using your SFX preset?

I am hesitating to buy from this famous product line. (I purchased REX E+ just when it came out 5 years ago). My main concern is OOM. From all what I have read in this thread and on the REX homepage the most benefit for immersion would be the usage of HD textures. As I prefer to fly complex airliners between large airports (like AS Mega Airports or FSDT's US series) I see no chance to set TML to 2048 or better to 4096. Does it then really make sense?

Cheers,

Harry

No, doesn't make sense. The utility, just like our past ones offer the user many choices in how to set up specifically for your system needs. Immersion has nothing to do with resolution.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Well as my rig is capable of 4096 with PMDG and other scenery addons I decided to back off my previous statement and go rex direct 4. Tommorow I will come back with some shots and let You know if it is a good decision for essentials plus owners. I am just so damn curious that I cannot stop myself plus maybe it will be helpful for people who can't decide now.

Mephic, thank you for your support of our product.

Please take your time and understand how it works. The majority of the issues we are experiencing are folks not understanding how to use it with the sim their using it in. The user manual explains the settings, so again, take the time to understand these variables.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Stunning Adi! Is that using your SFX preset?

YES & NO:

I'm using sweet-fx, but only for sharpening the scene slightly, not contrast or anything else. If people use sweet-fx to alter things like contrast (which is very unneeded in dx10) they actually miss the target and they will not see the same colors they see in rex preview shots. I definitely think it's a crucial fact people should be aware of, when using sweet-fx.

This is my sfx settings file ready to go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s26fa2an2zi6bvi/SweetFX_settings_adi518_22-12-13.rar

If you use the sweet-fx cfg app, you will see all features are turned Off, aside for two crucial ones, which are 'lift gamma gain' and 'luma sharpen'. You don't need the rest of them to make your fsx sweeter. This is the correct way of using sweet-fx with fsx & p3d.

@Rodd REX will release a new version for 40 bucks and give You 5 bucks discount I guess. I wouldn't expect much more and I don't see Rex 3 being patched. Truth is I bought expensive Rex essentials with OD just for one set of textures because as You say, WX engine is useless and ASN delivers in this matter much much better. So even if the new version of WX engine will be fixed I wouldn't hope for getting it as an update. Policy seems quite clear and I am definitely done with this product for now. Shame a bit though because it has potential. But if I pay circa 45 bucks for something I want it to work as advertised and TBH current weather engine just doesn't work and still new pay ware version will be released. No go to me.

First, pricing has not been decided upon for the new weather engines, so please be careful of your statements or assumptions.

We are currently working on SP3 for REX3.  One of reasons we have not released any updates is because of some new technology we are testing and will be adding in regards to GRIB data.  Also, there are many that use the REX 3 weather engine without issue.  But again it is WONDERFUL to have choices in this world.

The reason we can't push out upgrades as fast is because REX 3 is SUCH a large application.  By splitting it up it allows us to be "more competitive" with the "others" with upgrades and updates.  You can't fault us for that.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

We are currently working on SP3 for REX3.  One of reasons we have not released any updates is because of some new technology we are testing and will be adding in regards to GRIB data.  Also, there are many that use the REX 3 weather engine without issue.  But again it is WONDERFUL to have choices in this world.

The reason we can't push out upgrades as fast is because REX 3 is SUCH a large application.  By splitting it up it allows us to be "more competitive" with the "others" with upgrades and updates.  You can't fault us for that.

Very nice to hear, that you are not abandoning existing Rex3 users, looking forward to the SP3!

One quick question before I buy, well actually 2. Can it be installed on a separate drive? Can I still use my external frame limiter(looks like it wants to start FSX.exe directly itself)? I'm using ASN and loving it but want the REX textures basically.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Corzine

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I wish I had the money... I will if I get a chance to get my Glider Pilot's Licence next summer through cadets or get a part time job. I'd prefer the first one though.

One quick question before I buy, well actually 2. Can it be installed on a separate drive? Can I still use my external frame limiter(looks like it wants to start FSX.exe directly itself)? I'm using ASN and loving it but want the REX textures basically.

Thanks

Steve

yes. I have rex OD on a separate drive

ZORAN

So..do you not need Rex Essentials Plus (w Overdive was my choice)...is this the new product that covers all the features of Rex Essentials Plus? 

I currently use Active Sky 2012 + Active Sky Next as you need both for texture install and new weather injection. Is this rex product the same thing where you need

both to be able to flight plan and achieve new textures + Injection?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion

Daniel Maris

I currently use Active Sky 2012 + Active Sky Next as you need both for texture install and new weather injection. Is this rex product the same thing where you need

Since your using  Asn as your weather engine, your best bet is  to get rex4  since its only  a texture addon and it works  great with asn as iam using it as well. Rexe with o/d  is  a texture addon with a weather engine incorporated as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

its a "game changer."  It will enhance your experience with FSX. My own honest opinions, just simply one of the best addons for fsx. go to their website Rex support forum, and check out the pics.