Sign in to follow this  
sevenflyer

Man, Am I ######!

Sorry Rodger to hear about this wow could happen to anyone, new install is no fun but hang in there sounds like because it was installed in fsx folder it wiped it out and I would not even think about a repair if you ever want a stable fsx again you will have to reinstall it again thats for sure, mine was installed into programs folder not fsx glad that didnt happen to me wow good luck with it but dont waste any time fooling around start over

Rich Sennett

What I'm wondering about is, if I follow the Flightsim Store's instructions and do a second install, and then want to uninstall, can I specify the new version?  That is, the one that isn't in the FSX main directory?  Or do I now need to go into FSX by hand and strip out the Fixer files?  I suppose I ought to ask over at FSS but if anybody here has any insights, please share.  Thanks!

Alan did you install into fsx directory to begin with if not should be fine but if you put it into fsx you need to strip it out.

Here are the files listed

241v6lk.jpg

Rich Sennett

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help" to "The Official DX10 Scenery Fixer Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Yes, my first install was into FSX directory.  

My desktop shortcut now points to the new (Program Files (x86) install but the FSX directory install is still there.

When I launch the shortcut, it shows libraries not installed - it's a virgin setup dialogue.

What you say about deleting the FSX directory install makes sense to me, but the FSS e-mail seems to be suggesting that we leave the FSX directory install where it is ("re-install the product without uninstalling the existing files").

This is all extremely confusing.

Safe side strip it out otherwise you are taking a chance, striping it out will not hurt but I would install the new right after you strip it out, thats what  I would do but you can wait till Steve tells you what to do to be on the safe side

After stripping it out may have to do some reg editing to finish up the the strip so Steve can elaborate on that

Rich Sennett

Well, again, that makes sense.  

Since so far I've followed the FSS instructions, at the moment I've got two installs.  I e-mailed them for clarification and I'll see what they come back with.  I suppose I'm not at risk as long as I don't change anything in the DX10 setup 'til I hear from them, or from Steve.  

With luck, Steve will get wind of this and check into this thread, or at least the forum.

He can sort it out but hope the fsx directory installer folks see this or they will be installing a new version of fsx also.

Rich Sennett

Yes, agreed - though the FSS e-mail ought to get their attention.  It sure got mine.

Checking further - as of now, I've only got one instance of the Fixer in my uninstall list, and it shows today's date.  So I'm guessing an uninstall would target that one, not the one in the FSX directory, which was probably the intent of the FSS instructions.

However, I think you're right that the next move is to hand-strip the FSX directory install.  Both instances of the Fixer .exe now show libraries uninstalled, though they do pick up my AA settings.  That means that no matter what, I'd better restore the remainder of my latest settings.  And I'd rather do that using just one instance of the Fixer.  So the FSX install has to go.  Heading over now to strip it out.

Sorry Rodger to hear about this wow could happen to anyone, new install is no fun but hang in there sounds like because it was installed in fsx folder it wiped it out and I would not even think about a repair if you ever want a stable fsx again you will have to reinstall it again thats for sure, mine was installed into programs folder not fsx glad that didnt happen to me wow good luck with it but dont waste any time fooling around start over

Me too. Sorry to have doubted you. Wow. Freaky. I hope everyone is safe now.

C.

Reporting back to say that Richard's answer is the correct one.  If you're in this situation, download the new installer from FSS, install it in Program Files (x86), then go to your FSX directory and delete the DX10 Fixer folder (don't uninstall the program).  Then launch the Fixer and restore your settings in the interface.  Go fly.  All will be well.

FYI also that I heard back from the Flightsim Store and they're unable to give additional support advice - they suggest that users contact Steve directly.  So if you're looking for help with this, you're already in the right place.

Right now, this post represents the best information I have.  If Steve tells us otherwise, then follow his advice, not this post.

You have a system image back up ready to have you up and running in 1 hour.......right? If not...why not?

Image backup, image backup, image backup...on a regular(weekly) basis! Saves a WHOLE ton of frustration and panic.

You bet! I do a full C: drive image backup to a My Book USB drive after every new software installation has proven good and have had to bring it back a few times over the years! When there was need....it was there.

Well this is interesting,  I bought the program around Monday or Tuesday, and after reading this thread, went to my installation and saw that it was in my x86 folder and not my FSX main folder. I wondered about that, after not seeing this morning any email from F.F.S.

I wonder when they caught that and replaced the download?  I can say that it was replaced at least by Tuesday, last!

I'm glad about that..for it would have been necessary to download another system image to my My Book. That saved me about 1.5 hours.

Before you go to your FFS account just first check to see if your install is OUTSIDE your main FSX folder.....to save you some time and effort.

To the OP, so sorry to have read of your predicament.  It was not your fault, and that really sucks to have happened to you!

Hi All,

Just to confirm to you all, this issue is only a problem if you have installed to somewhere other than the default location AND to a folder that already contains another application. If you accepted the default location as given by the installer you have no need to worry about the uninstaller removing anything other than the actual DX10 Scenery Fixer program itself.

If you have been caught out by this issue and had the uninstaller remove something that it shouldn't have please contact FSS via store [at] flightsimstore [dot] com.

Cheers, Adrian

fss-forum-sig400x60.jpg

OK, to clarify.   I installed my DX10 Fixer to:  D:\DX10 Fixer, ie a separate folder/directory by itself. Is that OK, or do I need the new installer.

It says AND to another folder....

Thanks for the Help.

Best,

David